PDA

View Full Version : Target Red Card

No Shoes
16-01-2013, 15:33
Good afternoon.

Has anyone who is not a resident and therefore does not have a social security number, applied for the Red Card at Target?

I am just about to equip a recently purchased condo and thought the 5% off purchases would come in useful.

florida4sun
16-01-2013, 15:47
Your Tax ID number should work ok.

No Shoes
16-01-2013, 16:17
Take advice on that, when you come to sell they will want to see that your taxes are up to date. With the Target card, might be worth applying on store (if you can) and explain that you own property in Florida.

Your Tax ID number should work ok.

Martin, I don't have a tax id number!

No one has ever said I needed one, I assume thats because I have no plans to rent the condo. Just to use it for the winter months.

florida4sun
16-01-2013, 16:40
Whoops sorry, I replied inside your post!

No Shoes
16-01-2013, 17:17
Thanks, will do.

DaveL
16-01-2013, 18:32
Target do two types of Red Card one is debit and the other credit.

Getting the credit one will be impossible but if you take a blank check (cheque) into a Target store you should be able to get the debit vesion.

Dave

No Shoes
18-01-2013, 17:34
Target do two types of Red Card one is debit and the other credit.

Getting the credit one will be impossible but if you take a blank check (cheque) into a Target store you should be able to get the debit vesion.

Dave

Thanks Dave. A debit account is just what I want.

autumnc
19-01-2013, 11:08
Please let me know how you go on. I applied for the debit account in December using my tax number instead of a SSN (which I don't have) and the supervisor at customer service said that would be fine. Unfortunately it was declined there and then, so the supervisor had to send it to head office for authorisation. I got a letter a week later saying that they can only accept accounts with a SSN. The supervisor did give me 5% discount on my purchase that day, so plan to buy as much as you can on the day you apply and hopefully they will give you the 5%. I had to provide photo ID, a utility bill with my address and my ITIN.

I really can't understand why they wouldn't give the debit account, they are taking no risks at all, as the payment comes directly out of your own bank account. I was leaving a couple of days after I got the letter, but I will be writing to them when I get back to query the decline.

Newhomebuyer
19-01-2013, 11:57
I think it gets declined if your address for your bank card is the UK even though your bank is in the US. i tried last year and they said the postal adress on my bank account had to be in the US.

autumnc
19-01-2013, 12:32
I don't live in the UK so the address on my card and bank is my US address. So even with a US bank, with a US address and an ITIN, it still got declined.

No Shoes
19-01-2013, 16:32
I am going to try this when we get there at the end of the month.

Thanks for the tip about buying most things on the first visit. It will be interesting to see if I get the same treatment :)

My US bank card has a US address but I dont have a tax ID!

Andrena
20-01-2013, 21:25
Glad that we got our SSN many years ago, we can get anything on credit if we want. It is useful if you are buying something big like furniture as you can keep you money in the bank and get interest free credit. Why give them the cash before you have to, you might guess from this that I am a Scot.

Tony G
25-06-2013, 20:40
Forgive my ignorance, but what benefits does a Target Red Card give you?

Lyn
25-06-2013, 21:42
How can you get a SSN number, I thought you could only get one if you were eligible to work in the US

florida4sun
25-06-2013, 23:50
It would be a Tax ID Number, they look similar but it to a SSN. If you have an older one then credit can obtained, does not work for everyone but I know a few people who have managed it. We had a couole of credit cresit cards using a TIN number. I believe the TIN numbers were tightened up sometime after 7/11 and now not possible for credit.

How can you get a SSN number, I thought you could only get one if you were eligible to work in the US

autumnc
26-06-2013, 01:04
Forgive my ignorance, but what benefits does a Target Red Card give you?

You get 5% off all purchases and free shipping on anything ordered online.

autumnc
26-06-2013, 01:07
I got a Bank of America credit card a few months ago, so once I have gained a slight credit score, I might have more luck with a Target debut card. It's stupid that BoA give me credit and Target won't give me a card that takes money direct from my account when I shop with them.

Tony G
27-06-2013, 16:32
Thanks!

You get 5% off all purchases and free shipping on anything ordered online.

No Shoes
10-01-2014, 10:38
Having spent a 'significant' amount of money in Target whilst in Florida before Christmas, I once again decided to see if I could crack the red card issue!

I have written to Target, which in itself is not easy, as the website was not very helpful. They have now replied with a case number and asked me to call them......

Watch this space :-)

autumnc
10-01-2014, 12:38
Thanks for the update. Can you post the address you sent your letter to and I'll send one too - perhaps if a few of us do it they may let us 'aliens' use their card!

No Shoes
10-01-2014, 17:28
I wish I could say that I had a successful phone call with them but to be honest it was painful....... The Red Card help line were polite but didn't seem to know what to say to me. When I spoke to the new accounts team the lady was very nice but basically just said - no social security number, no account!!

Email address that I originally emailed was: guest.service@target.com

autumnc
11-01-2014, 00:31
Oh well, that doesn't sound too promising!

florida4sun
11-01-2014, 09:58
I thought you had bought a condo? You need to have an ITIN number? Tax withholding is 30%!!!

Thanks for the tip about buying most things on the first visit. It will be interesting to see if I get the same treatment :)

DisneyFunVilla
12-01-2014, 14:04

Don't be afraid to ask for the 5% if they decline your card and don't automatically offer it. If you don't ask, you won't get it, but if you do ask, you just may. Ask before you put anything in your cart, though, as that might affect their decision.

Lyn
15-01-2014, 03:15
I thought you had bought a condo? You need to have an ITIN number? Tax withholding is 30%!!!

If you are not renting you do not need an ITIN number.

SDJ
15-01-2014, 11:24

Thank goodness we were able to get a SSN (non working) and not an ITIN number. We were not renting when we got it 20 years ago before they stopped issuing SSN's but it has been a godsend over the years.

Andrena
19-01-2014, 20:31
It certainly is Sandra, you can get credit cards and great offers when you need furniture. Being Scottish we like the idea of things like 12 months interest free.

Andrena

florida4sun
19-01-2014, 23:32
Ahh that explainsthat then, never realised.

No Shoes
11-12-2014, 02:41
Just wanted to share with you that I am feeling pretty pleased with myself today.
At last I have managed to get myself a Red Card!
The lady I dealt with at the Target on the 192 was great. She used my property tax id in place of a social security number and it went through first time. Amazing what you can get done if you just deal with the right person ��

Gerry Reed
11-12-2014, 06:15
Well done.

We have both an SSN (issued about 9 years ago) and an ITIN so will give it a go in January. Over the years we have spent a lot in the Target at Possner Park so any discount would be good. Last time we went in October the lady there said all we needed was a cheque to show we had a US bank account but we will go armed with the numbers as well.

The card I would really like is the one that gives you 10% off Disney shops - anyone managed to get one of these ?

Sue

No Shoes
11-12-2014, 12:51
Sue, we are annual pass holders for Disney so get discount with this. It covers the shops in the parks and Downtown Disney

autumnc
11-12-2014, 15:28
Great news! There's hope for us yet. Do you remember the name of the person you dealt with? We can all ask for her specifically!

Tony G
12-12-2014, 19:19
Ooh, that does sound promising. I'll give it a try when I'm next over there.

Just to clarify, you used the villa tax ID from your real-estate tax bill?

No Shoes
16-12-2014, 17:04
Ooh, that does sound promising. I'll give it a try when I'm next over there.

Just to clarify, you used the villa tax ID from your real-estate tax bill?

That's correct, I copied it from the online receipt I received when I paid my property tax. It was actually one digit too long for the box but the lady in Target didn't seem to mind.

I have checked the receipt she gave me as a temporary card till the real one arrives and unfortunately it doesn't have her name on - sorry!

Good luck