PDA

View Full Version : Proof of age

09lilal09
03-01-2013, 14:58
Whilst in Florida last year we paid a visit to Epcot again (5th time), however this year whilst trying to purchase a beer from the British pub i was asked for ID (baring in mind im from Scotland). I showed the bar staff my British drivers license, to be told this was not acceptable as i needed to show a passport as they cant accept a British drivers license? I thought that was a ridiculous question to ask as taking a passport to a park would be a stupid idea, what happens if it gets lost? then i would be in serious trouble trying to get home. So therefore no passport no beer.

As i wasn't able to purchase a beer from the British pub, I was able to purchase one from a stall in Poland and Germany, with my drivers license being accepted as a proof of age.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also why cant Disney provide a card like the one you are given at discover cove which indicates your age and that way there isnt a problem when using it at sea world, busch gardens etc?

florida4sun
03-01-2013, 15:09
To be honest, the only people who can answer these questions are disney themselves. Maybe next time carry your DL and a copy of your passport too.

DaveL
03-01-2013, 15:43
We always suggest to our guests that they carry a colour copy of their passports with them in case proof of ID is required. The number of home scanner/printers available these days means this is often quite easy to get done.

Proof of age requirement can be quite funny as it all depends on what the owner decides is a reasonable policy. As an example I tried to buy two glasses of wine at a bar last year. (A) they wanted proof of age, I'm retired and it shows (B) My wife had to come up to the bar and also show hers otherwise they would only serve me one glass.

Dave

caroline
03-01-2013, 15:55
I'm not retired [msnwink] but am a long long way past 21 and I was ID'd in Bonefish Grill on the 192 last month. Bonefish accepted my Photo driving license - but apparently they are twitchy about driving licenses in Bahama Breeze and the staff have been told to only accept passports.
I also had to show ID for my son, who is 21, in Total wines (a large wine warehouse) he wasn't buying anything it was just me, but because he was with me he had to be ID'd. It did make me wonder what happens if you go in with your kids.

Laurel Oak
03-01-2013, 16:11
My daughter showed her UK Driving Licence at the ESPN Bar at the Boardwalk and it was not accepted even though it has her DoB. As has been said its not practical to carry passports around and I wonder if a colour copy would be acceptable as its so easy to change dates on the copy if you know what you are doing.

I was asked for ID last November in Target when buying wine and I'm 58 (and look it) but they did accept my Driving Licence.

Gerry Reed
03-01-2013, 16:30
I always have this problem with my daughter even in the UK. She is 23 but has learning difficulties and looks more like mid-teens. I even had a 1/2 pt of shandy taken away from her in a pub restaurant last summer as I could not prove her age. Since then I carry a colour photocopy of her passport in my handbag - she will never have a driving licence, and up to now that has been accepted, but that is in the UK.
Sue

Katys Grandad
03-01-2013, 16:31
I was asked for ID last November in Target when buying wine and I'm 58 (and look it) but they did accept my Driving Licence.

Completely crazy!!

Pity they don't seem to show similar diligence when somebody wants to buy a firearm.

Pookie
03-01-2013, 16:46
Completely crazy!!

Pity they don't seem to show similar diligence when somebody wants to buy a firearm.

Never a truer word spoken.

fiona
03-01-2013, 17:43
Target always insist on photo id for any purchase of alcohol. Luckily I had my passport on me that day as Chris and I still have the old pink driving licences as we have not moved house so no need to and certainly not paying expense of a new one every 10 years until we do! I told the cashier he'd made my day if he seriously thought I looked 30 or under! Never have any of this rubbish in Publix which is usually where we buy any wine.
Totally agree KG, bonkers.

PAUL GIZZI
03-01-2013, 20:12
i got asked for id last year, i was happy as my 40th was 2 weeks away, i think once you buy any alcohol the till may ask the teller to input the D.O.B of customer?? possible?

Dads_Taxi
03-01-2013, 20:38
I was once told by a young cashier that although it was obvious I was over 21 she really had to see my ID as any manager watching her serve me would have had reason to sack her if she hadn't.
I was happy to oblige, and my UK driving licence was accepted as ID.

carolmc
03-01-2013, 20:47
At Walmart in Clermont this past Summer I had to run from checkout to the car to get my drivers licence....I had wine in the cart :) and there was no way the cashier would let me though until I did. This, despit the fact that I have snow-white hair and look every one of my 54 years!! Mad really.

E. Cosgrove
03-01-2013, 22:05
I was ID'd in Publix a couple of years ago. The server was only a young lad himself and I think he was just being diligent. He apologised profusely when he realised I was 50+!
my uk drivers license was sufficient.

freddiehollie
04-01-2013, 09:49
Completely crazy!!

They do KG.... But you only have to be over 5........

MTP
05-01-2013, 03:08
To be honest, I always think that the comments criticising the US's habits, customs, accepted norms, etc a little bizarre. You're in a different country, why should their laws or customs be the same as what you are used to?

I personally think that it is a sensible and easy policy for any store to just say, "We ID everyone buying alcohol". Rather than if you appear under 30 or if you appear under 25 or whatever. It's just much easier to say, "We ask for ID from everyone". It takes any pressure or decision making off of the staff. I think it is poor form for any place not to accept UK driving licenses as ID, as long as they are the photo IDs. Then again, you are in their house, so their house, their rules. I accept that this approach isn't universal, however, it is one business's approach to tackling the licensing legislation. Compare it to some provinces in Canada where you can't even buy any alcohol in a grocery store or supermarket, it's not really so strict or burdensome.

Just my tuppence/2 cents worth.

athurstance
05-01-2013, 09:44
My dad was asked to prove his age when buying a pint of beer at the Rose and Crown in Epcot - he's over 70!!! They wouldn't let him buy a drink for my mum either until she came over to the counter and showed her id. Not really a problem although it does slow down the queues quite a bit when you do that.

carolmc
05-01-2013, 11:52
Perhaps establishments/areas need to make their ID policy known....before you reach the stage of having to pay and then hold up the whole queue??

MTP
05-01-2013, 13:12
Yes, a sign at the alcohol section stating ID required for everyone would be a good idea.

DaveL
05-01-2013, 13:23
I guess that one of the problems is knowing what a foriegn ID should look like. How many here would be able to say how a driving licence from Brazil should look?

Dave

florida4sun
05-01-2013, 13:58
Google for fake ID and you will see the problem with the UK DL, some near copies available for next to nothing. That said I dont think you can get in UK club with a fake ID;)

Andrena
05-01-2013, 23:12
We had to provide ID at JFK to get a drink barmaid was most apologetic but said it was company policy. Staff in local Publix don't bother us, but we are regulars.

Andrena

carolmc
05-01-2013, 23:37
Same here - local Publix and Walmart must know us too....should we be worried?? :)

09lilal09
06-01-2013, 20:42
Yea like has been said a lot of people are being asked for ID and it is acceptable however the point I was trying to raise is carrying your passport to a theme park is on the stupid side incase you misplace it. Also as mentioned earlier a photocopy of the passport can easily be modified. I'm 25 and I expect to get asked for ID so it doesn't bother me, but I just think its idiotic that they ask for your passport in a theme park.

As I mentioned in the original topic why doesn't didn't do a universal pass like Discovery Cove where you show your drivers license and they indicate on the entrance pass for the parks you are over 21 and it also has your photo on it? Is it maybe something Disney should think about implementing a universal pass for all theme parks with your age and photo on it?

One of the previous responses to this was stating the fact that how can people expect to know what each country drivers licence looks like? The staff behind the bar at the British bar in Epcot are British so they know what it looks like.