PDA

View Full Version : Cheap & Cheerful things to do in florida

reebok
13-02-2004, 22:12
Does anyone know of any cheap and cheerful things to do in florida for a vacation, or free firework shows etc

blott
13-02-2004, 22:41
Try here http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1877 or there are the State National Parks which only cost a few dollars entry fee and are great for wildlife.

Nostromo
13-02-2004, 23:28
If you have the odd morning or afternoon free, I suggest going to the World of Orchids. It is free and worth spending a couple of relaxed hours.

wilfy
14-02-2004, 00:15
Waking up at whatever time, having breakfast by the pool, knowing you do not have to go to work :D

Nigel W
14-02-2004, 00:59
Wilf you forgot to mention the ice cold beer

chrisj
14-02-2004, 01:03
I liked sitting by the pool with a good book when wifey took the kids shopping, Also
laying on a pool lounger floating around not doing anything, not having a care in the
world

Also just going for a walk around the area being nosey

george
14-02-2004, 02:21
Blott is correct.. Go to the National Parks.
Great days out for all

chrisj
14-02-2004, 02:33
Were going to visit the world of orchids, my mum loves orchids and its her birthday while
we are there, so thought a visit there would be a nice thing to do

bellaepovera
14-02-2004, 02:39
You can take a walk around Boardwalk, grab an ice cream and see the back end of the fireworks from Epcot.

esprit
14-02-2004, 08:24
Have a look around Celebration. And keep your eyes open for what is on in town on the board by the Celebration Watertower on 192 as there are often things on in town. the snowfall and falling leaves festivals, craft fairs and markets, food tasting, pie festival, free fireworks displays. Dont just stay in the town center but walk the boardwalks, loads of wildlife. you never know you may even see the "urban legend" bears.

Jill
14-02-2004, 12:36
Definitely recommend the state parks. They are approximately $5 per car. Try this web site which gives details of all the parks. http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks

Nostromo
14-02-2004, 13:08
You could have a relaxed, winding down day at Winter Park. There is a superb Botanical Garden and even better sculpture gardens. There are walking & bicycle tours. At least some of the many museums and galleries are free admission and just strolling around this 'urban village' is an experience in itself. Also, there is an hour long scenic boat trip that is very economical. Of course, there are upmarket shops all around, but you are not obliged to buy anything.

orlandobabe
14-02-2004, 22:20
The Tiffany Glass museum at Winter Park is only about $4 entrance fee and it's gorgeous in there.

I haven't seen the botanical gardens though-you'll have to let me know where they are.

The squirrel park there opposite the shops on Park Ave is really nice too.

Lake Eola in downtown Orlando is very nice to have a stroll around. They have swan boats there and you can have a stroll at the lake in downtown Kissimmee-we counted 3 alligators on our last trip. They also have a nice kiddies playground and water area(well away from the alligators!)

Nostromo
15-02-2004, 02:21
quote:Originally posted by orlandobabe

I haven't seen the botanical gardens though-you'll have to let me know where they are.

I know that they are called Mead Botanical Gardens and that the admission is free. We went there during our last visit in 2000, but I cannot recall how we got there, except that it is in Winter Park. We had an American relative with us then and perhaps she knew where to go. Looking at the guides now though, it is in Garden Drive, "just off Highway 17/92"

phaedra
15-02-2004, 14:24
If you're there in December Kissimmee have the Kissimmee Holiday Extravaganza on the 2nd Saturday of Dec. at the park on lake Toho, free addmission, 20 tons of snow, live music, craft stalls, a parade and fireworks :)

http://www.kissimmeeparksandrec.com/specialevents.html