PDA

View Full Version : Grand China Buffet - US27 Any Good?

BIGEYE
04-11-2012, 19:52
Looking for chinese restaurant recommendations on the US27 but no further than Haines City southbound. We pass a Grand China Buffet on the way to our villa, can anyone recommend this restaurant or are there any others I should consider. I am not limited to the US27.

jumawa
04-11-2012, 21:36
If that is the Chinese opposite the entrance to Posner then No. No atmosphere, naff food and more like a school canteen, that was about 18 months ago but I have heard that things haven't changed. I do not know of any others locally but if you like Italian there is a great small family Italian across the road in Posner (near to Dollar Tree)

Hope this helps

BIGEYE
04-11-2012, 21:52
Thanks, i'll give the chinese a miss.

Sandra M
05-11-2012, 06:17
There's a gorgeous Thai Thani at Celebration, it's very similar to chinese.

We go at least twice when we visit.

Sandra

LiesaAnna
05-11-2012, 07:14
we tried one on the 192 a few years ago, it was big ornage buffet one... that was like a school canteen, wasnt clear how things were run, no one showed u to a table so standing around like dummies... yet there was someone on the till near to us...food was awful what was left of it...

SDJ
05-11-2012, 17:45
Have not heard any good reports about the one on the 27 and never tried it as don't fancy it. There are never many cars outside which puts me off as the food may have been standing around too long. We also love Thai Thani but generally go to the one on I-Drive as the surroundings are more authentic. Lovely food....yum yum!!!

Snapper
05-11-2012, 22:29
Hey Bigeye - As an alternative, why not take a takeaway back to the villa.

If you are on Hwy-27 I can heartily recommend the chinese takeaway at Berry Town Centre. Everything we have ever had from there has been excellent. If you are stuck for choice, go for the sesame chicken; it's to die for. The portions are huge so order about half of what you think you can eat and you'll be fine ... or put a full order in and that's breakfast, lunch and dinner the following day sorted as well :-)

Sandra M
06-11-2012, 06:59
Hey Bigeye - As an alternative, why not take a takeaway back to the villa.

If you are on Hwy-27 I can heartily recommend the chinese takeaway at Berry Town Centre. Everything we have ever had from there has been excellent. If you are stuck for choice, go for the sesame chicken; it's to die for. The portions are huge so order about half of what you think you can eat and you'll be fine ... or put a full order in and that's breakfast, lunch and dinner the following day sorted as well :-)

I agree, Bamboo Wok is lovely. Food is always fresh and as Steve says the portions are huge. Rice is included so bear that in mind.

Sandra

grayster
06-11-2012, 10:25
My parent tried Grand China Buffet last year and said they wouldn't be going back. I also like the takeaway at Berry plus the one on US27/Ronald Reagan (by Beef O'Bradys) and the one at Champions Gate. All deliver. Good advice from Sandra regarding the rice - we always order too much.

PAUL GIZZI
23-12-2012, 08:26
All i can say is no no no, please dont go

SDJ
23-12-2012, 09:50
All i can say is no no no, please dont go

I take it you decided to give it a go!!! It is good of you to confirm we were all right with our advice[laugh][laugh][high5]

Tonish
23-12-2012, 20:12
We're thinking of going to PF Chang's at the Mall at Millenia next week, which we had been told was good, but just read some reviews and they have rather put me off.

carolmc
23-12-2012, 20:32
We're thinking of going to PF Chang's at the Mall at Millenia next week, which we had been told was good, but just read some reviews and they have rather put me off.

We enjoyed it and good value too - a bit more like what we are used to in Europe...give it a go.

PAUL GIZZI
24-12-2012, 18:19
I take it you decided to give it a go!!! It is good of you to confirm we were all right with our advice[laugh][laugh][high5]

yes i gave it ago a year ago.....and i dont need you same more....you were all right..

Anyway Wish all of you a Happy Christmas

Katys Grandad
24-12-2012, 18:25

It is very popular but I had what are close to my worst ever meals at 2 different branches. It's 'Americanised' Chinese food and I personally won't be returning.

I think I'd have to say that if you're used to good quality and authentic Chinese you'll probably be disappointed.

Cruella DeVilla
26-01-2013, 18:52
Late to the party on this one but thought I would give my two cents worth as we have been quite a few times over the years as it is on our doorstep so to speak.

It is not an attractive restaurant whatsoever, basic and a dog eared inside but you get what you pay for so to speak and imo for the price you pay it isn't that bad as long as you are not expecting sumptuous surroundings and gourmet food.

I can be a fussy so and so and to be honest a bit of a food snob who isn't really a lover of Chinese food, even living in the Far East for 3 years didn't do it for me. DH likes Chinese so we go to this place from time to time mainly on the way home from work, still in work uniform if we have been working later and just wanting to grab something quickly and ready. I wouldn't choose to go out for the evening for dinner here. I also find takeout of Chinese food expensive where we are and the dishes we order from Chinese to Go runs about $30+ for two, and in this buffet you can have all you can eat plus drinks and the correct tip for less plus you have the option of lots of different things.

A while back, the buffet went downhill choice wise at one stage and we stopped going but we have been in twice over the holidays with different folks and all thought the food/choice was fine. It was hot, clean, well stocked and we all found dishes we liked. The servers are fine too. Now when they used to include the crab legs (which you now pay extra for) it was a trough and full of lets say "rednecks" who were so disgustingly greedy.

Gourmet it is not and it is absolutely not comparable to Thai Thani or PF Chang. It is what it is.