PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation near Gatwick

KarenScott
12-02-2004, 19:05
[:I]We are looking for one nights accommodation near Gatwick, for 7, Mum and Dad with 3 girls and Grandparents, any suggestions?[:I]

chrisj
12-02-2004, 19:10
If you do a search on Gatwick Parking, you should be able to find a hotel.

chrisj
12-02-2004, 19:17
Try thes links

www.gatwick-airport-parking-uk.co.uk/ (http://www.gatwick-airport-parking-uk.co.uk/)

www.parkingexpress.co.uk/ (http://www.parkingexpress.co.uk/)

Nostromo
12-02-2004, 19:26
There is an excellent B&B within 5 minutes drive of Gatwick with a good choice of rooms, including family rooms; most have private facilities. They also offer car parking facilities if required and are very reasonably priced. Called Staith House; look in www.staithhouse-gatwick.co.uk

steph_goodrum
12-02-2004, 19:47
We usually stay at the Travel Inn near the north terminal, you can either walk across to terminal or get a shuttle (about £2 each) Rooms are £49.95 for family room.
This time we're staying at the Hilton at south terminal as it has swimming pool etc and as we fly Virgin and will have checked in the night before we can have a leisurely swim before breakfast and then arrive about 1 or so before flight. (£90 ) for family room. connected by walkway to terminal apparently.

bellaepovera
12-02-2004, 19:49
I stayed at the Travel Inn which is right across the street from Gatwick so walked right over there. £50 a night. Not a big place but convenient. They had bus service to and from the airport as I did use this service on my flight to Orlando the next day as I did not feel like walking that early in the morning.

chrisj
12-02-2004, 19:51
Were staying at the Hilton this July as well. We have something called
a family plus room ????

markburwood
12-02-2004, 20:38
We have stayed at the Hilton several times and used Virgins twilight check in the night before.FANTASTIC:D:D

markburwood
12-02-2004, 20:42
Sorry forgot to mention we booked with Holiday Extras on 0870 844 4020 who we found gave the best price

chrisj
12-02-2004, 20:46
I think thats who we finally booked with,

florida
12-02-2004, 23:56
There are many guest houses in the area we have stayed at several over the years. Most recent was 'The Corner House' Try this link www.gatwickguesthouses.com

KarenScott
13-02-2004, 01:26
[:I]Thanks for the responses, we are trying the guest house route as works out cheaper than the main players as includes breakfast. Didn't realise that we could have a twilight check in though with Virgin so we are now going to do that. Now is where to eat in the Gatwick area, other to you guys? Another query how do I get a picture to come up with my name in that panel?[:I]

caroline
13-02-2004, 03:08
With regards where to eat near Gatwick, it really depends on where the guest house is and what type of food you're looking for. But Crawley is only a couple of miles from the airport and has all the usual like Bella Pasta, Pizza restaurants, Chinese, Indian - I know the area reasonably well so tell me what you like and I'll try and recommend something:)

KarenScott
21-02-2004, 19:08
[:I]Hi Caroline - do you know it worked out more expensive to stay at a guest house than one of the hotels when you take into consideration car parking. We will have two cars and of course a lot of the big hotels do an all inclusive package whereas the smaller hotels charge on top. So we are staying at the Russ Hill Hotel and it is cheaper there although we don't get breakfast but I'm sure we will pick something up in Gatwick. I think this hotel will have a restaurant so will probably eat in once we arrive.
Karen[:I]

caroline
21-02-2004, 20:28
Russ Hill has a good reputation, so I'm sure the food there will be fine.

chrisj
21-02-2004, 20:37
weve stayed at the Russ Hill before, its a very nice hotel

TonyBlenk
22-02-2004, 04:18
Try this link http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/ who offer cheap prices for most hotels at Gatwick. Choose HOTELS WITH PARKING for the best rates.
Tony.

chrisj
22-02-2004, 04:31
We booked with them, they do some good deals

mind you we always get a cab there and back, drove home once after the red eye on the M25 and thought S** that

Funshine
23-02-2004, 14:28
If you are an AA member you get a reduced rate on most Gatwick hotels with parking. Go through AA website for these rates.

Also, Barclaycard offer reduced rates too. Again go through their website.

george
24-02-2004, 01:16
We also used Holiday Extras on 0870 844 4020
Fantastic value. Only afew pounds extra to parking. You can have the nights (day) stay at the start or the return of your holiday. A good idea if you get tired by the red eye flights and have a long journey home from the airport.

george
24-02-2004, 01:19
Russ Hill was ok but the Effingham Park is miles better and no extra cost. Book through Holiday Extras on 0870 844 4020 . i was shocked how cheap it was. No extras for the bus to the airport.

Carla
05-05-2004, 23:11
How long did it take to get from the Russ Hill to Gatwick airport? Is the transfer price included?

steph_goodrum
06-05-2004, 01:27
We stayed at the Hilton this time instead of the Travel Inn and it was so convenient with having the twolight checkin. There is a covered walkway to the hotel and it has a swimming pool etc so we checked our luggage in about 4 pm the night before, checked into hotel, went for a swim and then walked over to the terminal for a meal. In the morning as you only have to be at gat an hour or so before flight there was time for another swim and then breakfast. Makes the holiday start a day earlier.

Can't seem to find any at the terminals at Heathrow - does anybody know of any as we dont have access to a car when we travel.
We won't take one for safety reasons, fortunately we have a very obliging taxi driver friend for whom we can reciprocate when he goes on hols.

caroline
06-05-2004, 02:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
How long did it take to get from the Russ Hill to Gatwick airport? Is the transfer price included?
[/quote]

Russ Hill is literally 5 minutes from the airport - don't know if the transfer is free but they usually are.

Carla
06-05-2004, 03:00
Thanks Caroline. I just got a good deal with them for 21 nights parking in June/July, plus first night at the hotel, for our next trip. I usually use hotels right on the airport, so hadn't heard of this one.

caroline
06-05-2004, 03:10
I've never actually used it (we only live 15 or 20 minutes from Gatwick) but it's reputation is good:)

Tracey
06-05-2004, 11:58
Carla, did you book direct with the hotel?

chrisj
06-05-2004, 12:20
[/quote]

It takes approx 10-15 minutes max and its normally in the price of
the room

chrisj
06-05-2004, 12:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Can't seem to find any at the terminals at Heathrow - does anybody know of any as we dont have access to a car when we travel.
We won't take one for safety reasons, fortunately we have a very obliging taxi driver friend for whom we can reciprocate when he goes on hols.
[/quote]

All the Hotels at Heathrow are around the Bath road, which is just
outside the airport, most are right next to the runway. The problem
is they are so close I think you would have problems getting a cab
to take you. I know the 140 Bus goes from terminal 1 and stops right
next to 2 of the hotels

steph_goodrum
06-05-2004, 13:58
We did get a cab last year Chris from Le Meridien, with 4 of us using the shuttle at £3 each it was actually cheaper to pay £10 for the taxi. I just wondered if there was one that was walkable.
I quite like the look of the Berkely Park executive suites which doesnt look much further along than Le Meridien.

chrisj
06-05-2004, 14:20
Just found out that there is a 'Hilton' attached to terminal 4 by a walkway. There are buses
that go between all the terminals and these are free. Not sure how frequent they are but
would have thought they would be every 10 minutes or so

steph_goodrum
06-05-2004, 14:33
"Just found out that there is a 'Hilton' attached to terminal 4 by a walkway. There are buses
that go between all the terminals and these are free. Not sure how frequent they are but
would have thought they would be every 10 minutes or so"

Chris Thanks Chris I'll have a look at it.

chrisj
06-05-2004, 14:55
Steph

Its mentioned on this link

http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/heathrow-hotels-london.htm

Carla
06-05-2004, 16:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tracey
Carla, did you book direct with the hotel?
[/quote]

No Tracey, I booked through http://www.holidayextras.co.uk

I got a room plus 21 days parking for GB£110. Cheaper than getting the parking only for the same length of time.

Carla
06-05-2004, 17:00
Thanks Chris.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
[/quote]

It takes approx 10-15 minutes max and its normally in the price of
the room
[/quote]

KarenScott
06-05-2004, 21:49
Tracey, I booked through Superbreak and found them the cheapest. £90 for a family room for 5 including 14 nights parking. We actually need more nights parking but you can deal direct with the hotel for that. Can't tell you any more yet as we don't go on holiday for another 6 weeks and 5 days (and counting!!!!!:D:D. How about you? Karen

Elaine62
18-09-2004, 02:36
we're not sure whether to pay more for an "on site" hotel such as the Meridien or the Hilton or to choose an off site one such as the Arora which is cheaper.

Has anyone stayed on and off site and can enlighten us about the difference?

Also all of the sites that we have checked the prices on offer "room only", do you know if breakfast is available at a supplement? If so how do we find out the cost?

Elaine

KJH
18-09-2004, 04:56
Hi Chrisj

When you stayed at the Hilton, what was the family room like? We stayed in June but only the two of us. Do you get two rooms, we have booked with the Renaissance and they have given us the two rooms for 2 ad 3 kidz.

When I looked at the hilton after I had booked, they were cheaper which suprised me.

Has anyone tried the family situation at the Renaissance?

Thanks for any info

Karen

chrisj
18-09-2004, 13:42
Hi Karen

Yes we had a huge family room, it was really big and had 2 double beds and 3 single beds and still
loads of room, we were very impressed

brizzle
18-09-2004, 14:07
Excellent, this is what we have booked for November for 3 adults and 2 kids (2 year and 4 years).
Stayed in the Hilton before and the convenience is fantastic.

Got cheap car hire with work so just picking up a car from Bristol and dropping off at Gatwick and vice versa on return. No car parking required :)

Brizzle.

E. Cosgrove
18-09-2004, 14:10
[/quote]
Carla, did you stay at Russ Hill in the end? { I thought i read a post where you stayed at Le Meriden)
If you stayed there was it OK. we have just booked there for 5 weeks time.

chrisj
18-09-2004, 14:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Elaine62
we're not sure whether to pay more for an "on site" hotel such as the Meridien or the Hilton or to choose an off site one such as the Arora which is cheaper.

Has anyone stayed on and off site and can enlighten us about the difference?

Also all of the sites that we have checked the prices on offer "room only", do you know if breakfast is available at a supplement? If so how do we find out the cost?

Elaine
[/quote]

We have stayed both on-site and off-site. To be honest staying onsite
was so much easier, a pub within walking distance that did great food and no hassle in the morning.

Will always stay on-site now

brizzle
18-09-2004, 16:53
Regards on-site hotels, I like the fact that you can wander around Gatwick (North and South terminal, just use the free monorail) when you stay on site.
They have a Weatherspoons in the South Terminal which is good enough for a couple of pints in the evening and enough places for an evening meal.
A bit of window shopping also whiles away a relaxing evening.

Then in the morning, check on your TV if the departure is on time and wander in a couple of hours before take off (assuming Twilight check in has been used) ready for the long flight.

Brizzle

CERICROWLEY
18-09-2004, 19:02
We have always used Holiday extra to book the hotel the night before a flight as we get a better rate with the car parking as well. Stayed a couple of different hotels.

First we stayed in the POST HOUSE as was now HOLIDAY INN. was brillant for £75 a family room with upto 15 parking.

Second found somewhere a little cheaper RUSSHILL HOTEL, would not recommend this one. We went Xmas time and the had a function on at the time. There was nowhere to park the car and was told you can park it by the bottlebank!!! "It should be alright" is the response. then they showed us to our room, up one stairs across a landing doen another stairs across and down again and would you believe right next the conference room where the party is, Had to get a 7.30 flight in the morning. would have been better driving allnight.

Stayed in the HOLIDAY INN twice more gret price for just one night stay and car park is secure.

Then we decided to splash out a bit more and stay in the Meriden, £120 with carpark for 15 nights family room consists of two full size suites, and we love the chinese restaurant.With the facilities of pool and gym we have a nice relaxing stay which sets us up for the flight tomorrow.

Ceri