PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a vacuum cleaner?

firsttimer
12-02-2004, 14:25
Silly question I know, but is there likely to be a vacuum cleaner?
We are booking thro a brochure, so have very few details- just general comments like nicely furnished with pool!
The reason I am asking is that I have some of those storage bags which you suck the air out of with a hoover to make them smaller. If there isn't likely to be one, then coming back everything will be bulkier and may not fit in the case.

Also a general point- are things like cleaning materials, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, washing powder (laundry) likely to be supplied, or does every visitor have to buy new?

And if 'to wash up' means to wash your face, how do you say to wash up (wash the dishes?)

Ruth
12-02-2004, 14:30
A vacuum cleaner should be supplied. Sometimes cleaning materials are supplied (maybe just a starter set), sometimes the previous guests leave some, sometimes there is nothing and you need to buy new.

You say you are booking through a brochure. Have you considered doing a DIY holiday as then you can choose the exact villa you wish to stay in and get to know the owner well along the way:)You usually get a much better standard of villa by taking this route too:)

kevinprewett
12-02-2004, 15:34
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

Silly question I know, but is there likely to be a vacuum cleaner?
We are booking thro a brochure, so have very few details- just general comments like nicely furnished with pool!
The reason I am asking is that I have some of those storage bags which you suck the air out of with a hoover to make them smaller. If there isn't likely to be one, then coming back everything will be bulkier and may not fit in the case.

Also a general point- are things like cleaning materials, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, washing powder (laundry) likely to be supplied, or does every visitor have to buy new?

And if "to wash up" means to wash your face, how do you say to wash up (wash the dishes?)

Hi,
listen to Ruth! - have you booked yet? if not, as she suggested, take the diy route. It's simple, you'll get a better quality villa and & probably better value for money. Most villa owners are very proud of our properties and are very helpful throughout the booking process AND during your stay unlike some 'commercial' companies who I am not allowed to mention. If you need any help with anything, accommodation,flights, tickets, cars etc. just ask the questions and you'll find someone here will have all the answers/solutions you need. Have a great holiday![msncool]

steph_goodrum
12-02-2004, 15:38
We generally don't leave cleaning products available for our guests unless there are soap powder or dishwasher tablets, if we left nay sort of liquid and a small child came along and drunk it obviously as well as the danger to the child we would be deemed liable so much as it seems we are being mean - there is a good reasoning behind it.
I must admit, I don't know about the other homeowners but it always makes me feel better when people ask about things like vacuums and cleaning because you know they are the sort of guests we all like who will treat our homes with respect when they are thinking in advance.

tinkerbell
12-02-2004, 16:09
There's a vacuum in most villa's you visit in Florida! We tend to lock our cleaning things away in the owner's cupboard, but previous guests do tend to leave washing powder etc, which the cleaners pass on tot eh new guests.

SunLover
12-02-2004, 16:26
As Ruth and others have said, booking a villa yourself is the best option.

If you book through an agent, they will simply place you into any villa they have available that suits your sleeping requirements (eg 3, 4, 5 bed etc). By booking direct with the owner, you have the opportunity to have all your individual requirements taken into account, before you part with a penny.

Happy hunting, and have a great vacation :D

chrisj
12-02-2004, 16:27
Must admit I just assumed there would be a vaccie, or else the place would need a dam good
clean up at the end of your holiday.

We always clean up as we go along, and then on the last day blitz the place, praps we should
send a bill to the owner :D:D:D:D:D

DISNEYDIVA
12-02-2004, 20:17
Firsttimer, we encountered a problem when trying to describe washing up liquid for dishes (in a small on site store), we were told it was liquid for washing "crockery" [msnwink]

firsttimer
12-02-2004, 21:44
Yes, we booked before we found this website. If we go again we will definitely book direct! (this visit we'll keep our eyes open and try to remember the communities we like the look of. We had to book very fast because of the flight situation at Easter.
Think I'll pack my customary washing up sponge and J cloths then!
Apparently we can pay extra for maid service throught our stay or have a mid stay clean (both declined).

steph_goodrum
13-02-2004, 00:40
Extra black sacks may be useful as well firsttimer as most villas supply one in the bins but when you go to buy them you may find only rolls of 40 or so, (it's also handy to put one in your day bag in case you go on any water rides and don't want to get cameras etc wet ), or if you want to take a break after the showers and can't find any dry seating, or if it tips it down and you have a youngster sleeping in a stroller to keep them mostly dry. Maybe we should start a thread on how many uses we can find for them?
I'm sure wherever you stay you will have a great time.

ctgirlscout
13-02-2004, 00:58
quote:Originally posted by DISNEYDIVA

Firsttimer, we encountered a problem when trying to describe washing up liquid for dishes (in a small on site store), we were told it was liquid for washing "crockery" [msnwink]

Not too many people here use the term "crockery". It's commonly referred to as "dishwashing liquid". And we don't usually say "washing up" for dishes. I tell my kids to wash up for dinner (wash their hands), and after dinner we "do the dishes", or "clean the kitchen"!

firsttimer
13-02-2004, 02:31
Thanks everyone.
We always carry round an old terry nappy which is small and scraggy but useful for drying us off after water rides or drying seats. We also take a plastic table cloth (pound shop variety) which we use as a sitting mat on damp beaches or places where the ground isn't as nice as it could be- cheap and light and small.

Oh, and what about clothes pegs?

ctgirlscout
13-02-2004, 02:48
We don't supply clothes pins (if that's what you're asking about) at our villa, but they would be easy enough to get at Wal-Mart.

blott
13-02-2004, 03:56
We provide clothes pegs - I always take a pack over when we visit because they seem to get eaten by the clothes peg monster! [msneek] But where were you thinking of using them? STR home communities don't usually allow clothes drying outside and expect you to be using the tumble dryer.

firsttimer
13-02-2004, 17:09
Would tea towels (for drying dishes) or kitchen towels (for drying hands in the kitchen ) usually be provided?
And is kitchen roll (absorbent paper) called anything different?

The trouble is, we are used to camping with the car, so usually we CAN pack the kitchen sink if we want to. It will be such a strain to limit ourselves to our weight limit!

blott
13-02-2004, 17:29
The tea towels and hand towels are included in our home and kitchen roll is called the same. You won't be drying many dishes though as you have a dishwasher provided - you are on holiday after all!

Although we can tell you what's provided in our homes, we can't give you a definite list of what will be provided in the home you're renting. I would have thought your best bet would be to contact the brochure company and ask if they can give you a hint of what's included in the actual home you'll be renting. We don't want to give you the wrong information and have you come back and tell us you didn't pack something vital! [msnwink]

ctgirlscout
13-02-2004, 18:03
What you are calling a "kitchen roll" sounds like what we call "paper towels".

chrizzy100
13-02-2004, 19:21
quote:Originally posted by blott

We provide clothes pegs - I always take a pack over when we visit because they seem to get eaten by the clothes peg monster! [msneek] But where were you thinking of using them? STR home communities don't usually allow clothes drying outside and expect you to be using the tumble dryer.

Two different lots of people in the rental home across from mine hung a washing line up in the garage......

blott
13-02-2004, 19:31
Yep, we've got one there as well but not everyone has and you're not allowed to hang washing outside in most communities.

chrizzy100
13-02-2004, 20:16
quote:Originally posted by blott

Yep, we've got one there as well but not everyone has and you're not allowed to hang washing outside in most communities.

I don't think the Villa has a real line....the guests just put up the line.....it looked like they were drying towels and swimwear from the pool.....:)

The garages were as hot as the tumble dryer for a few days.....I read the list of no-nos given by the HOA.....and found that the locals break everyone of them.....I don't see the point in having the rules if you don't stick to them.....we had trouble getting our car out of our driveway because of all the cars park in the street from the house across the road.....the same thing happens here.....people park across the road across your driveway so you can backout easy......I never had that happen in England.....I don't think you get told in the USA when you learn to drive that its rude to block a driveway..it was one of the first things the person teaching me to drive told me ....and I teach my kids the same thing...

tuzanne
19-03-2004, 21:23
Yes I agree with the replies above. Book a site with an owner rather than tour operator. I have only just bought my villa which will be ready for this summers season. When someone books through me I will be happy to spend any amount of time if replying to their questions. I myself will be proving hair dryers in both ensuites. Most people would be pleased not to have to pack a travel hair dryer in their already overloaded suitcase. Same goes for things such as tea towels, bath towels etc. As far as proving washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets I have never had any supplied in villas I have rented in the past. However, I always thought it would be great if 14 dishwasher tablets and a couple of washing machine tablets were already there. When you go to the supermarket you always have to buy a large box and then either take them home in an already loaded suitcase or leave them. Perhaps the man company should provide a basic pack which includes the following at a reasonabe extra price for renters. Dishwasher tablets, washing power/tablets, fabric conditioner, cooking oil, washing up liquid for odd small items which you can't be bothered to put in dishwasher. Also the food pack could contain the basics for a small breakfast or snack when arriving late at night such as tea bags (although like most English people I usually bring my own PG Tips), milk, sugar, coffee, bread, butter, biscuits, jam and cornflakes. Do any other villa owners provide these packs and are people willing to pay for them at a reasonable price. I am assuming that owners are not out to make a profit on them but to just cover cost of providing them.

chrizzy100
19-03-2004, 22:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tuzanne
Yes I agree with the replies above. Book a site with an owner rather than tour operator. I have only just bought my villa which will be ready for this summers season. When someone books through me I will be happy to spend any amount of time if replying to their questions. I myself will be proving hair dryers in both ensuites. Most people would be pleased not to have to pack a travel hair dryer in their already overloaded suitcase. Same goes for things such as tea towels, bath towels etc. As far as proving washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets I have never had any supplied in villas I have rented in the past. However, I always thought it would be great if 14 dishwasher tablets and a couple of washing machine tablets were already there. When you go to the supermarket you always have to buy a large box and then either take them home in an already loaded suitcase or leave them. Perhaps the man company should provide a basic pack which includes the following at a reasonabe extra price for renters. Dishwasher tablets, washing power/tablets, fabric conditioner, cooking oil, washing up liquid for odd small items which you can't be bothered to put in dishwasher. Also the food pack could contain the basics for a small breakfast or snack when arriving late at night such as tea bags (although like most English people I usually bring my own PG Tips), milk, sugar, coffee, bread, butter, biscuits, jam and cornflakes. Do any other villa owners provide these packs and are people willing to pay for them at a reasonable price. I am assuming that owners are not out to make a profit on them but to just cover cost of providing them.
[/quote]

You could if you packed and left them for your MC to put out make up a welcome pack of a few dish washing and clothes washing tablets...I sure a lot of people don't... incase a child gets hold of the things if they are left under the sink etc.......

I wonder do people have their MC remove items like that....or are they left for the next guests....??

huckleberry house
20-03-2004, 01:29
They have to be removed because of the risk of a child eating them.Any that are left at the home will be removed by the MC for this reason.Guests are best advised to pack their own rather than buy them out there and take home any left over.

The same with bin bags etc,with a lot of Mcs especially the larger companies it can be a different cleaner every time and they will just assume that all items are to be removed so no matter how many bags you leave they will go for sure.

Lesley

firsttimer
23-03-2004, 01:46
Thanks for that.
Not having a dish washer ourselves- are tablets universal, and do you also need salt and when do you use it?

blott
23-03-2004, 02:25
You can use dishwasher tablets you can purchase in the UK - in fact, I'd recommend that as you can get smaller packs here than in Florida. If you get the ones with rinse aid included, you won't need anything else.

The dishwashers hold 12 place settings so, unless there are loads of you going, you probably just need one tablet for one wash a day. Don't forget that glasses and delicate stuff go on the top shelf.