PDA

View Full Version : Bok tower

orlandobabe
19-05-2002, 18:33
Esprit told us about this one-not a lot there-but if you fancy a quiet day it's a good place to go. Turn left at Eagle Ridge Mall and just follow the signs.
The tower is beautiful -pink marble with lovely carvings, set in beautiful woodland and gardens. It has a pond round it full of huge koi carp and really is a lovely restful place.
Highlight of the day is the music from the bells at the top of the tower-usually about 4pm.
It has a small cafe and gift shop and is only about $6 to go in.

Orlandobabe

paula
19-05-2002, 22:12
Thank you , my diary is getting full of new places we want to take the children on our next trip, regards paula

orlandobabe
20-05-2002, 21:18
Not really anything there for children-they may be a bit bored-especially as nowadays they are spoilt rotten with Disney. Everyone's-not yours Paula!

Orlandobabe

Shroom
21-05-2002, 22:31
maybe it's just because Southern Dunes is on that side of town that Cypress Gardens and Bok Towers are normally on my visiting list.

BOK TOWER GARDENS is a national historic landmark located at the summit of Iron Mountain in central Florida. With its serene gardens, vast wildlife, gentle solitude and beauty, it is said to be:" a glorious tapestry of nature".
There are numerous paths to explore and one could spend several hours ambling and not see it all!
Bok's centerpiece, the Carillon Tower, which at 298 feet is the highest point on the Florida ... reigns over the highest point in Florida .
Here the views of the countryside are wonderful!
The Tower, built of pink and gray marble and coquina stone, houses one of the world's greatest carillons (bells to those fo you who don't know) featuring recitals each day.
The carillon strikes each 1/2 hr. followed by a chorus of the bells. At 3:00 on most days, you can hear a LIVE recital by the resident carillonneur (bell ringer).
Both the Gift Shop and the Plant Shop are wonderful, and may be best left for the end.
Bok's Singing Tower was sited at the highest elevation south of the pools, so the water reflects its image. It is a wonderful site in the late afternoon and worth seeing with the sun shining on it

ONLY $6 for adults and $2 for children (5-12) a good bargain.
[img]

Siobhan

Shroom
21-05-2002, 22:35
CHALET SUZANNE
Even if you dont plan on lunching here is is worth a visit befoer or after your visit to BOK gardens. Watch your pennies it not cheap.

You'll find this enchanting, world famous restaurant and inn on the way to BOK Gardens.
Around-the-world furnishings are enhanced by its fountains, courtyards, balconies and beautiful grounds.
The essence of the Chalet's reputation is its award-winning cuisine served in a unique setting, winning 30 Golden Spoons and the Wine Spectator magazine Award of Excellence.
Chalet Suzanne is a gracious oasis amidst the excitement of central Florida attractions.
They will also cater for wedding parties. My friend held her weddiing reception there 18 months ago. After being married at BOK GARDENS....more of that later...

Siobhan

Shroom
21-05-2002, 22:43
My future daughter-in-law (not too soon I hope she's only 19) wants to get married in a forest.....well I have suggested this wonderful setting ...

The sun streams through a canopy of trees and highlights plants and delicate blooms. The gentle sound of the wind carries the songs of many birds. Cascading water from a nearby fountain stops briefly... the bells from the tower beging to play anad carry on the air. The magnificent sounds of the bells drift across acres of gardens.

What could be more romantic than a wedding at BOK Gardens in Lake Wales.

The magnificent sounds of the carillon bells with a choice of a variety of musical selections from the carillon to play on the hour and half hour during the scheduled wedding times. A day to remember.

With wedding fees of abot $300 the rest can go on anything you like...puts the average £15000 spent on a wedding to shame.

Siobhan

orlandobabe
27-05-2002, 21:00
I wondered if they did weddings there-it was a wonderful place and I was going to take hubby to Chalet Suzanne for a treat for all his hard work-but never managed it.
Will have to be next trip now!

Orlandobabe