PDA

View Full Version : Cirque du Soleil

Amirah
11-02-2004, 19:13
We've never been but we want to go. Five questions!

1. Is it a good show?
From the reviews and the comments from people who actually went, I read it's a good show.

2. Does it suit an 8 year old child?
We don't want to take Andrea if she will fall asleep or get bored.

3. Is there a nice restaurant (cost not an issue) nearby we can go to before the show?

4. Do we have to dress nicely to attend (no-jean policy)?

5. Category 1, 2, or 3 tickets?

It's simple to go to their website to get the answers but I want opinions from real people like us.

Nostromo
11-02-2004, 19:31
I think it depends on taste. It is one of those shows which you love or hate. I saw the Cirque in Las Vegas and was VERY disappointed. I thought it was skillful but soulless, compared with the exhilarating 'Siegfried & Roy' that we saw only the day before. But then, a lot of people liked Cirque du Soleil, so I guess you might too.

I don't think an 8 year old is going to enjoy it a great deal. But as far as I know, they had no dress code in Vegas and so I cannot imagine it in Orlando!

tinkerbell
11-02-2004, 19:48
OK, here goes:

1. It's a GREAT show! Absolutely the best visual display I have ever seen!

2. The show doesn't follow a particularly strong story, it's the visual content that holds your attention, so I don't think you'd have any concerns if your daughter likes to watch gymnastics and similar types of entertainment.

3. When we flew with Virgin Holidays, we go a special deal where we got PS at planet Hollywood (right next door!) and good seats for the show. If Planet Hollywood's not your scene, you are right in Downtown Disney, so if you plan it well you could eat anywhere down there, plenty of choice!

4. I don't think there is a dress code, but people were smartly dressed. If you had smart jeans with a shirt type, I'm sure you'd fit in just fine! It;s a greate excuse for a new outft if you ask me though!

5. What?! I guess since we booked our meal/show deal through Virgin Holidays we didn't have this decision to make!

florida4sun
11-02-2004, 20:24
It is wonderful. my kids have sen it 3 times and are now aged 8 and 10. They love it.

martin

quote:Originally posted by Amirah

We've never been but we want to go. Five questions!

1. Is it a good show?
From the reviews and the comments from people who actually went, I read it's a good show.

2. Does it suit an 8 year old child?
We don't want to take Andrea if she will fall asleep or get bored.

3. Is there a nice restaurant (cost not an issue) nearby we can go to before the show?

4. Do we have to dress nicely to attend (no-jean policy)?

5. Category 1, 2, or 3 tickets?

It's simple to go to their website to get the answers but I want opinions from real people like us.

kevinprewett
11-02-2004, 20:25
I'm with you Tink!
The whole of family yhought it was a real 'stunner'Can'y wait to see it again in August![msnwink]

bellaepovera
11-02-2004, 22:14
It was one of the best shows I have ever seen!! I would go see it over and over!! I hightly recommend it. You just cant catch everything the first time.

esprit
12-02-2004, 04:06
It is much better than the Cirque Du Soleil rouring show we saw in Manchester because the permanent set they have built here is so much part of the show. I would guess the Vegas show may be a like the touring show. I LOVED it. But it is expensive. It doesnt matter where you sit as much of it takes place up in the air anyway.

Nostromo
12-02-2004, 09:55
quote:Originally posted by esprit

I would guess the Vegas show may be a like the touring show. I LOVED it. But it is expensive. It doesnt matter where you sit as much of it takes place up in the air anyway.

The Las Vegas show had been on for the best part of 2 years when we went. I cannot remember the resort, but it may have been Treasure Island. The reason that I did not like it was that I found it rather cold and uninvolving while being extremely skilful. It may be a cultural thing. I have met a lot of people from my part of the world who did not like Cirque du Soleil whereas majority of the Western people seem to like it. As I said before, it is a question of pesonal preference.
As for being expensive, all of us felt that it was grossly overpriced.

caroline
12-02-2004, 13:12
Now I'm intrigued Nostromo, what part of the World are you from?

Nostromo
12-02-2004, 13:17
quote:Originally posted by caroline

Now I'm intrigued Nostromo, what part of the World are you from?

I was born in England, but taken back to India by my foster parents as a tiny baby. I grew up, studied, qualified and got married there before coming to the UK with the wife in 1985 as a 29 year old man. I have lived and worked here since then.

Amirah
12-02-2004, 17:15
I've been to India a few years back doing social research. Do you ever think about going back to India to live?

Nostromo
12-02-2004, 17:34

I've been to India a few years back doing social research. Do you ever think about going back to India to live?

Yes, I do. It is a bit complicated though. I split up with my foster family under traumatic circumstances a very long time ago and so have no relatives of my own in India. My wife's sister and her family live in Bangalore and we're quite close, we being our niece's godparents. But despite almost 20 years in the UK, I miss the life in India and we plan to retire there eventually....that will be a LONG time in the future!

Amirah
13-02-2004, 05:24
We were thinking about returning to Egypt to live after we retired too...but we have to see how the world is at that point and also we have to see our daughter into her adulthood. We have about another 12 years to go. I hope all is well in the future, if not, we will stay here in the USA. It's really cool that you feel like going back. We have friends who never want to go back to live in their native countries because it was not easy to leave it in the first place.

Nostromo
13-02-2004, 10:41

We were thinking about returning to Egypt to live after we retired too... It's really cool that you feel like going back. We have friends who never want to go back to live in their native countries because it was not easy to leave it in the first place.

Egypt? Ah, I wondered about your name! 'Amirah' sounds very nice. Just out of curiosity, is it a Coptic Christian name?

As to people who don't want to go back to their native countries, I suppose it depends on the circumstances under which they left it in the first place. In my case, it was entirely for personal reasons; I would have remained back in India if the situation had been different.

Amirah
14-02-2004, 09:04
My name is Arabic. I have Arab, Egyptian and English roots. I am a Christian...brought up in the Catholic church. Most people think I am Muslim because of my name and where I was born/raised(Cairo). Egypt is made up of half Christians and half Muslims little do people know. Thanks for the compliment!