PDA

View Full Version : USA travel insurance

appinlad
17-07-2012, 15:21
Some sage advice for those holidaying in the US of A to ensure they have adequate travel insurance! On my recent trip I suffered a recurrence of a heart problem and was taken to Dr Phillips Hospital in Orlando. I cannot fault the attention i got apart from perhaps too attentive! It seemed to me that when someone presents from out of country with travel insurance all sorts of tests etc are trundled out. I knew my heart problem would right itself (which it did) and tried to get discharged. There is the problem you can of course discharge yourself but, as explained, this would invalidate your travel insurance. So I was stuck in hospital for ages waiting for a doctor to agree to release me. My wife handled the insurance contacts for me - SAGA through First Assist. Unfortunately despite repeated efforts we couldn't send them any documents nor could we get anyone in the hospital to accept our insurance details (weird) so we had to post it to them.

Since returning I have received individual bills from all (except the cleaner). I have passed these to my insurers but continued to receive chase up bills including letters from a Swiss Debt Collection company. I also had to pay for my own doctor to write a report to say I was fit to travel, this despite declaring all medical conditions on the policy application. I am assured the bills are now being paid but still have a nagging doubt that on my next visit the US Border people will stop me for non payment of debts! After some $13,000 costs I have changed my perspective on Obama Health Care. Our NHS may be dire at times but its free.

On the amusing side I was taken into hospital by 'mickey mouse' paramedics - Disney's Reedy Creek Fire Service!

Clare R
17-07-2012, 15:47
'Free' at point of use I agree, but free it is not!

Tonish
17-07-2012, 15:57
At $13,000 you got off cheap! 20 years ago we got bills of well over $1,000 after we took my two year old son to a Miami hospital and got treatment from the emergency room. All he needed were some antibiotics for a fever; there was no overnight stay and we were in and out in a couple of hours, but there were bills from admin, nursing, doctor, radiography etc etc etc. They just kept coming.

florida4sun
17-07-2012, 16:30
The greatemnt is the same for locals too. They have to cover every angle, if not you sue! 10 years ago I took alocal in with chest pains, turns out to be stress related. Final bill was getting in for $20,000.

syrup
17-07-2012, 16:43
It does show though that good medical insurance is essential with everything declared. Some people spend thousands on holidays but skimp the health insurance.

jimiansville
17-07-2012, 19:35
I can't agree more that it is very important to have adequate travel insurance. I ended up in Heart of Florida Hospital and diagnosed with a gall bladder problem about 15 months ago. After 4 days and every test known to man I managed to escape and fly home with no treatment! The bill was over $30,000 which my insurance eventually settled. I went to my GP here in the UK and was referred to hospital for tests. Turned out to be a small abrasion in my stomach. $30,00 for a wrong diagnosis does not seem good value for money!

Andrena
17-07-2012, 20:50
My husband had treatment for a build up of calcium in his shoulder about 15 years ago and the bill was about £14,000 sterling, thankfully paid by PPP. It was crazy, he had everyone in the hospital submitting a bill it seemed and after the operation he was discharged about 2 hours later. The surgeon had him back every second day for check ups, I think he seemed to think that all his Christmases had come when PPP said they would pay all the bills. Our grandson also had to have treatment at Celebration and the bill was horrendous for what was just a mild chest infection.

Andrena

Laurel Oak
17-07-2012, 21:32
I'm sure we all crticise it at times but it makes you thankful for the NHS.

SDJ
17-07-2012, 22:21
The bill for an ambulance to take me 8 miles to a hospital was $950!!![msncry] That was before I had treatment and they were pushing the CC machine in front of me actually in the ambulance even though I was in agony....[msncry] Fortunately my insurance covered everything.

MTP
17-07-2012, 22:41
The issue with the NHS, though, is that as it is free at the point of service, the users very often have no idea of the costs involved. I imagine that if the bill was tallied up for every patient it wouldn't be very much different. It's just a different financial model. Perhaps if people did have to pay for the treatment it would be abused less and appreciated more?

sunseeker
18-07-2012, 17:59
I would like to think that everybody appreciates the NHS, but it doesn't mean we have to like the way it is run. Lest not forget every single penny spent by the NHS comes from the tax payer, There is NO such thing as government money.

Dave

SteveandJan
18-07-2012, 19:47
I have private health care through work and I have to have a steroid injection in my heel and plantar fascia. A friend had this done under the NHS with no sedation. Going private has meant I can be sedated, as apparently it is very painful and uncomfortable (and I am a big baby too). I have to pay extra tax for this benefit in kind and no reduction on my NI contributions. The consultant wanted a MRI scan and just had the bill through from CIGNA, the cost of this was £691 and would assume similar costs under NHS, we don't see the bills.

MTP
19-07-2012, 00:03
I would like to think that everybody appreciates the NHS, but it doesn't mean we have to like the way it is run. Lest not forget every single penny spent by the NHS comes from the tax payer, There is NO such thing as government money.

Dave

One factor is, though, that as it is "free" people at times assume it is without value. Who cares if you miss an appointment, it's free after all.

appinlad
23-07-2012, 20:15
Interesting experiences many thanks for sharing with me. Hopefully I will not have to repeat the experience :-)

Lyn
24-07-2012, 12:11
This has been an interesting thread but why is it under car hire?

Sniff
24-07-2012, 21:11
There is NO such thing as government money.

Dave

Off topic probably, but of course there is - not all government money comes from taxes, although granted this is probably a large part. But there are other sources

Tax revenue. This is the most obvious. Government sets a tax policy, people pay their taxes, and government has money.

Fines and penalties. Government writes a law with a punishment of a fine or a penalty, and collect money from offenders with the threat of even more punishment.

Fees. Government provides a service that only government can provide, and charges a fee to cover the costs.

Borrowing. Government promises to repay loans at a given interest rate. This is really a future tax, since one day those loans will come due, and that generation of taxpayers will pay the bill..

Lending. A lot of governments also lend money, for which they charge interest

Trading. Some governments engage in economic activity such as currency trading. The money government earns from this is revenue.

Sales of assets. Many governments sell off assets (property, gold/silver, or some other asset). This can be extremely lucrative - the sale of the 3G mobile phone spectrum in the early 2000s raised over £22 billion for the government

Printing. Government has the power to print money, and can raise money simply by creating it.

MTP
25-07-2012, 00:21
This has been an interesting thread but why is it under car hire?

Whatever made you think that?

Ahem. Move along! ;-)

kitch50
25-07-2012, 17:19
Sneaky Euan .... [msnwink]

Andrena
25-07-2012, 22:04
Biggest problem with the NHS is that just because it is 'free' people abuse it. My GP friend tells me that he has people coming in for a prescription of Asprin as, at least here in Scotland, prescriptions are free. When he tells them that it is very cheap and can be bought under the counter he is told that 'why should they pay for it if they can get it for nothing'. That is why it costs so much. I don't think that doctors should be able to write a prescription for something that is available over the counter.

Andrena