PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Rotten Really

Father
23-06-2012, 21:42
Saw a report on TV there. Says the weather in Orlando has been terrible and is to remain very wet for another fortnight or so.

Is this an exaggeration? Dont see anything about this on here - apologies if I have missed the threads talking about it.

Mr G
23-06-2012, 22:01
Swap it for the weather here in Yorkshire if you wish?

carolmc
23-06-2012, 22:07
I'd rather be in Florida...rain or not.

Katys Grandad
24-06-2012, 05:01
Very wet in Florida at the moment and likely to last for a while. It looks particularly bad on the Gulf Coast where flooding is predicted this weekend.

I've been in Italy where it's in the 80's under a cloudless sky so, between Yorkshire, Florida and there, guess where I'd choose to be right now?

Pookie
24-06-2012, 07:45
It is Debby which is causing this rain, they do not know if she will form and then in which direction she will go.

After drought for the last 2 years in Rotonda West and other areas these rains are very much needed.

Lynne

E. Cosgrove
24-06-2012, 12:34
We have been here for almost a fortnight and rain has been forecast virtually everyday but we have had some glorious sunshine as well. Yesterday was the first time we didn't see any sun at all and even then we managed a snooze on the deck under warm but cloudy skies.

Anyone coming to Florida in the summer and not expecting rain is kidding themselves, after all it is the rainy season!
Yes Debby is having an effect on the weather but it's not all doom and gloom, just typical summer weather for Florida!

UK Jane
24-06-2012, 13:10
We are currently in Rotonda and it has been raining with varying degrees of intensity for over 24 hours. Tropical Storm Debby having major impact and all experts watching very closely to see if this is going to become a hurricane.

Mr G
24-06-2012, 13:22
The rain will hopefully fill up the Lakes. They were very low last year due to the shortage of rain.

UK Jane
24-06-2012, 18:18
Just been out in the car to Publix and there are Tornado warnings in place for Sarasota, Ellenton and Bradenton and moving Northwards for the next 30 - 45 mins or so. Actually stopped raining in Rotonda for a minute.

Lyn
24-06-2012, 19:22
W returned today and know were I would rather be. Yes we had a fair amount of rain whilst we were there but we have also had some glorious sunshine. The only thing I would say is the weather does seem to be changing everywere, the torrential downpours that are over in half an hour still happen but we also had what I call typical English rain when it rains steadily for several hours. The rain can also be very localised. we have been out and seen no rain but on returning to the villa the roads were awash having obviously had heavy rain. British people are made of sturn stuff when it comes to rain, just get your poncho out and carry on:)

Andrena
24-06-2012, 19:34
Just looked at our CCTV Cameras and boy is it raining, but it doesn't usually last too long and at least it is warm.

Andrena

gwensvilla
24-06-2012, 19:41
Yep chucking it own here, as all day, tomorrow and Tuesday looking like a washout. Tornado warnings in lake county and surrounding areas.. Our pool up by a good 2 inches and counting, the estate lake looking better than it has for months. Chances of us being out on our rounds doing our Monday's lawn service... About zilch... Sitting in watching the England match.. Equally as depressing lol... Gwen

fiona
24-06-2012, 21:19
As it seems to have rained on and off for most of "flaming" June here in Berkshire, and I know parts of the UK have had the most awful weather - floods etc. it appears that the weather is all over the place everywhere. I agree I'd rather be in a warmer climate - can't keep up with the freezing evenings, piling on the jumpers and then warming up for a few days and then downpours, absolutely bonkers. Still our grass has never looked healthier, and the we redid our front garden last year (at home) and the roses, climbers and perennials are just glorious.

freddiehollie
24-06-2012, 21:46
Sorry Lyn

Poncho!!!!![msnsmile2] "Never" I don't get why anyone would want to put a plastic bag over themselves[msnoo] especially when its still so hot & humid.

In Islands Of Adventure a couple of weeks ago. Saw a counter service area "giving" away large plastic bags. People tearing a hole in the top and putting them on.
Very sad. Especially the parent who covered a buggy (without the hole), do they not want the kids to breathe??

It will never rain enough for us to wear a poncho. Were from the Lake District, it rains here quite a lot. [msnwink]

wrpac00
24-06-2012, 22:37
We are 5 miles west of Disney and it has been raining since about 3:30am.

The lakes on our community have gone up by 3ft since we arrived on the 3rd June.

Lyn
25-06-2012, 19:57
Sorry Lyn

Poncho!!!!![msnsmile2] "Never" I don't get why anyone would want to put a plastic bag over themselves[msnoo] especially when its still so hot & humid.

In Islands Of Adventure a couple of weeks ago. Saw a counter service area "giving" away large plastic bags. People tearing a hole in the top and putting them on.
Very sad. Especially the parent who covered a buggy (without the hole), do they not want the kids to breathe??

It will never rain enough for us to wear a poncho. Were from the Lake District, it rains here quite a lot. [msnwink]

I actually agree with you Mike normally I would never wear a poncho but whilst we were at Sea World in Shamu Stadium, we were waiting for the last show, and the heavens opened and it just did not stop they cancelled the show, we had to leave the stadium and make our way all the way across the park and the parking lot to get to our car. We had no coats no brolly so for the first time in years we resorted to buying ponchos. After this I went to Walmart and bought a large umbrella, it was the best thing for keeping dry it never rained when I was carrying it!!

Father
26-06-2012, 10:32
For sure I would rather be in Florida than here but that's not really the comparison is it? We were there for three weeks last June and the sky was blue almost all day every day. Temperatures were consistently in the upper 90s - absolutely fantastic weather. Must be very disappointing for people who have saved up long and hard and are there for this.

Thinking back, a couple of years ago (maybe three) we were there for three weeks (last week in May, first fortnight in June). Again, the weather was really bad with low clouds and rain, day after day. We probably had one week of really good weather, two weeks of poor.

BTW, am I the only one struggling with the site? Very difficult to see the normal structure, getting directed to something like 'Activity Stream' where you seem to only see recent posts. Can't see the usual layout with sections, threads and posts. May be a browser issue.

E. Cosgrove
26-06-2012, 13:05
Thinking back, a couple of years ago (maybe three) we were there for three weeks (last week in May, first fortnight in June). Again, the weather was really bad with low clouds and rain, day after day. We probably had one week of really good weather, two weeks

I think that must have been 2008 as we have been here the last 3 years at this time and had glorious weather.
In 2008 we went to Mauritius instead thinking it would be winter there and we would avoid the summer monsoons. Guess what, it rained!! Where ever you go good weather is not guaranteed.

I agree though, God willing we will be lucky enough to come again and the weather will be good and it is a shame for those families who have saved all year for their holiday, that said, there is much more to do here when it rains than if say you have taken a beach holiday to Spain, Greece.........or Mauritius!

Yesterday people were still out and about having fun, the outlet malls were doing a roaring trade and despite the rain I did need my sunglasses a couple of times:cool:

davy woods
26-06-2012, 13:33
I have been here since the 15th and the first week was great but then the rain came, Sunday was quite a bad day for the rain but it seems to be clearing up a bit now. Debby seems to be moving very slow and thats why the rain is prolonged at times. I go home today and despite the weather i could do with staying another couple of weeks because as we all know the sunshine will be back.

kitch50
27-06-2012, 16:52
BTW, am I the only one struggling with the site? Very difficult to see the normal structure, getting directed to something like 'Activity Stream' where you seem to only see recent posts. Can't see the usual layout with sections, threads and posts. May be a browser issue.

I have been struggling with this as well, I thought I had pressed something, I can't seem to get back for the forum home page, I just seem to get this Activity Stream ...

wrpac00
27-06-2012, 22:54
I have been struggling with this as well, I thought I had pressed something, I can't seem to get back for the forum home page, I just seem to get this Activity Stream ...

Click on 'Home' next to Activity Stream. Must admit it is a tad annoying each time you want to get onto the forum.

E. Cosgrove
27-06-2012, 23:53
Normal service resumed today, glorious sunshine and the 10 day forecast looks like wall to wall sunshine with very little chance of rain:cool:

SteveandJan
28-06-2012, 12:41
Liz that sounds wonderful, I hope it stays until I arrive on 26th (4 weeks today)

Andrena
29-06-2012, 21:19
We are just back from Austria and had sweltering weather then back to wet, miserable Edinburgh, at least it would be wet and warm in Florida. Otherwise we might just go back to Austria, it is still hot there.

Andrena

Father
14-09-2012, 17:59
Been here almost a week now. To say the weather has been disappointing, would be an under-statement.

Does anyone know when the sun gets here?

syrup
14-09-2012, 18:09
Been here almost a week now. To say the weather has been disappointing, would be an under-statement.

Does anyone know when the sun gets here?

Sorry to be a downer but the Weather Channel says scattered thunderstorms until next Thursday:(

Keith

Father
14-09-2012, 22:51
Sorry to be a downer but the Weather Channel says scattered thunderstorms until next Thursday:(

Keith

Saw that Keith. Sunshine State - not.

Same app shows glorious weather, blue skies, 0% chance rain, virtually every other holiday destination we like. Sod's law.

Katys Grandad
14-09-2012, 23:13
I'm on the Gulf Coast at the moment and I agree that Wednesday and Thursday were pretty poor with cloud all day. Today was a very sunny hot day although it's raining quite hard as I type this.

Early September can be quite changeable in my experience but it usually settles down as the month goes on.

Clare R
15-09-2012, 00:56
Two hour thunderstorm from just after 4 p.m on Friday, 14th September as we were at St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota.

Despite that the programmed free concert took place as planned outside the Van Wezel theatre starting soon after 6 p.m

SDJ
15-09-2012, 02:42
I arrived the day before Isaac. The weather was mixed for the first 4/5 days and then settled down into a nice sunshine pattern. Unfortunately, the pattern changed a couple of days ago so I have to get my fix of sunshine before 1100am when the clouds come over and we have a showery pattern for the rest of the day. I did manage to get out again from 2.00pm until just after 6.00pm when the heavens opened again. Going back to UK on Sunday so good job I already got my suntan and didn't leave it until the last minute[msncool][msncool]

CERICROWLEY
15-09-2012, 09:52
I arrived Sunday before Isaac went through the Gulf of Mexico and not got to Florida, it did rain a lot that day. I left Sunday, just gone, and it rained that morning, but apart from that, it was basically showers, We spent a couple of days in waterparks, with one day, a rain cloud came over around 3pm showered for about 2mins, but did clear the crowds out a bit, and another day on gulf, and nice and coloured. One late afternoon is was a great thunderstorm. The temperature has dropped a bit this week, but from what I can see it has been ok with a few showers.

Don't forget what happens sometimes in one area of Davenport say, is not the case in Disney, as on many occasions we have driven through areas and arrived at Disney at not one drop of rain all day. sometimes it is also a good time to visit parks, as the queues are not so long.

Mo Green
16-09-2012, 15:13
Two hour thunderstorm from just after 4 p.m on Friday, 14th September as we were at St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota.

Despite that the programmed free concert took place as planned outside the Van Wezel theatre starting soon after 6 p.m

The weather seems so localised. I left Sarasota at 3.30pm Friday afternoon driving back to Rotonda West in glorious sunshine and never saw any sign of rain. Apparently not a drop of rain fell in Rotonda all day.

carolmc
16-09-2012, 15:24
That's very true....current conditions show rain in Kissimmee, but I'm looking at glorious sunshine on our CCTV live feed.

Mo Green
16-09-2012, 15:32
September is still the wet season in Florida but the weather can be so localised on the Gulf Coast that it can be pouring with rain at one point but a few miles down the road it is bright sunshine. We have been in Rotonda West for 2 weeks and seen very little rain in that time - about 3 really heavy showers that last for a half and hour although last night there was a thunderstorm with torrential rain which must have lasted for an hour. Mixed cloud and sun today with temperatures of 88F. So different from the UK where rain usually stays around all day and bring cooler temperatures.

SDJ
16-09-2012, 19:16
Today has been better than the last 3 days. It has only just started raining at 3.00pm which suited me very well as I am now getting ready for my 8.15pm BA flight to Gatwick!!!

carolmc
16-09-2012, 19:29
Today has been better than the last 3 days. It has only just started raining at 3.00pm which suited me very well as I am now getting ready for my 8.15pm BA flight to Gatwick!!!
Have a safe trip - and keep dome warm clothes handy:)

Katys Grandad
16-09-2012, 20:11
September is still the wet season in Florida but the weather can be so localised on the Gulf Coast that it can be pouring with rain at one point but a few miles down the road it is bright sunshine.

It's a very strange sight when you can be sitting around a pool in hot sunshine and look in one direction and see clear blue skies but look the other way and see black storm clouds and heavy rain. It's looked like rain all day here but, so far, there hasn't been any. Of course, in 5 minutes times we could be under a thunderstorm or lying round in 90 degrees of sun.

Clare R
16-09-2012, 20:24
Don't know where you are on the Gulf Coast KG but in Rotonda it has been a humdinger of a storm since 2.15 and it is now 4.15 and going strong!

Katys Grandad
16-09-2012, 21:26
I'm on Sanibel but I was up near Punta Gorda around 2 o'clock and it looked imminent. Don't think it will be long before we see the storm down here if the sky is any indication.

EDIT - absolutely chucking it down now!!

SDJ
17-09-2012, 16:43
Have a safe trip - and keep dome warm clothes handy:)

Thank you Carol. Did not need warm clothes...temperatures 70 degrees and has been like it for a few days so I am told with sunshine the rest of the week. When the train went past Dawlish there were lots of people paddling!!!

I am trying to stay awake until later to get back into a normal routine....

kitch50
17-09-2012, 17:10
Hope the weather bucks up soon... we go in just over 3 weeks ....

Katys Grandad
17-09-2012, 22:07
Maybe I'm just in the right place here in SW Florida but the weather here has been pretty good for the last few days. A bit cloudy at times and the threat of a storm is always there but I reckon we've had sunshine more or less since 8 o'clock this morning.

Mo Green
17-09-2012, 23:08
Sat outside eating breakfast at 8am in sunshine then drove up to Sarasota. Hot and sunny all day (had to get the sun block out!) and still over 80F when we arrived back in Rotonda at 7pm.

kitch50
23-09-2012, 20:10
Can I ask what the weather is like in Orlando now ??... we are due to go in a couple of weeks and looking at the 10 day forecast on the BBC for Orlando it doesn't look that good [:(]

Clare R
23-09-2012, 20:31
Can only tell you what Wunderground is telling me 90F, feels like 93F and it is about 4.30 p.m Sunday. I am on the Gulf Coast it has been a gloriously sunny day, just gone a bit cloudy and it is 89f in the shade beside our pool.

It does not rain every day but when it does, it REALLY rains and often for a couple of hours. As you hit October it should get better and I was once told that
3rd week of October the wind changes 180 degrees from the south/tropics to the north and this is often the case.

Katys Grandad
23-09-2012, 20:41
Can I ask what the weather is like in Orlando now ??... we are due to go in a couple of weeks and looking at the 10 day forecast on the BBC for Orlando it doesn't look that good [:(]

I think "changeable" would be the best description of the weather at this time of year in Florida. A Clare says, it's hard to know what it's going to be like in the next 10 minutes never mind the next 10 days. I would expect it to settle down a bit by the time you get there but, for sure, it won't be the same every day.

Mo Green
23-09-2012, 21:57
We have been coming to the Gulf Coast for several years in September and this is probably the wettest we have known - some Septembers we have not seen any rain at all. Having said that it has mainly been for an hour late afternoon and not stopped us from doing what we want to do. As Clare said a lovely sunny day to-day. It is 6pm and still 88F so just going to put a couple of steaks on the BBQ and sit by the pool enjoying the evening sunshine.

seanchai
24-09-2012, 13:53
We had frost the other morning in Scotland ...now we have torrential rain which is causing floods due to the really wet summer we had ...happy days...roll on next summer !

Andrena
25-09-2012, 11:41
At least it is warm in Florida, we have the heating on today, it is a howling gale and lashing rain right now. Roll on Florida in November!!

Andrena

Katys Grandad
25-09-2012, 12:08
Forecast for the next few days not looking great with lots of cloud around.

Mo Green
26-09-2012, 15:19
Sun's still out in Rotonda West and it is 85F. Just come in from weeding/feeding garden and looks if I have done a couple of hours at the gym!

Lyn
26-09-2012, 18:22
Rain in the UK or rain in Florida mmmm. know whixh I'd choose.

SteveandJan
26-09-2012, 19:28
me too

SteveandJan
26-09-2012, 19:30
Your villa is beautiful Maureen,

Mo Green
27-09-2012, 18:05
Your villa is beautiful Maureen,

Thank You. Would love your kitchen.

Mo Green
27-09-2012, 18:19
A beautiful early morning in Rotonda West to-day with hardly a cloud in the sky

Father
03-06-2013, 20:57
Keeping an eye on the weather as we will be there this time next year.

The weather apps say it is ghastly. Rain every day for the next week. Is anyone out there just now? Is it as bad as they say?

On a separate but related note, if you had to go to Orlando for a fortnight, which month would be the safest weather-wise? Had a few holidays ruined, over the last few years, by bad weather. Been washed out for a fortnight in May/June (three or four years back), also washed out last September (actually I'm exaggerating, we had a couple of nice days).

Is it just our luck? The first few times we holidayed in Florida, all we saw was blue skies.

steph_goodrum
03-06-2013, 21:09
Think end of October we've had some fairly consistent nice weather, twice when we have been. Afternoon thunderstorms have often finished and it's still light till quite late at night.

Lynnes
03-06-2013, 21:19
We are here at the moment and the weather has been OK. There is usually a shower or storm each day but it soon clears

msmiff
03-06-2013, 22:08
Went to SeaWorld yesterday (Sunday) - too hot for us @ about 95 !!!
Super today - overcast & about 88 - just how we like it !!

SDJ
03-06-2013, 22:54
We have always found October to be a great month for weather.

Katys Grandad
04-06-2013, 03:13
I've been late April to mid May for the past 19 years and always have good weather (this year was terrific) but I avoid June to August. Likewise, late September through to the end of October is usually reliable although there's a slight hurricane risk then.

December to March is too cold and the days are too short for me. It's the Far East then.

Gerry Reed
04-06-2013, 05:37
I've been late April to mid May for the past 19 years and always have good weather (this year was terrific) but I avoid June to August. Likewise, late September through to the end of October is usually reliable although there's a slight hurricane risk then.

December to March is too cold and the days are too short for me. It's the Far East then.

We were in Florida this year, April 20 to May 12 th and had a good first and last week but the middle week was dreadful - lots of heavy rain, all day not just storms and areas north of Orlando had floods. I guess it depends how warm/hot you like it !
Sue

Katys Grandad
04-06-2013, 06:32
We were in Florida this year, April 20 to May 12 th and had a good first and last week but the middle week was dreadful - lots of heavy rain, all day not just storms and areas north of Orlando had floods. I guess it depends how warm/hot you like it !
Sue

Indeed. I actually arrived on 3 May but we were in South Carolina for a few days before that. The weather there was dreadful - very wet and actually quite cold! For the 18 days we were in Florida it didn't rain once.

kitch50
04-06-2013, 19:46
Would definitely say that October is a great month to go, we went the middle 2 weeks last year and we had 2 very short bursts of rain in the whole 2 weeks we were there, we had a couple of days that were overcast but on the whole great weather. We always go in October and have never had bad weather [msnsmile2]

Father
15-06-2013, 21:24
Speaking to a friend today.

She returned from Orlando a couple of days ago. Was there for a fortnight and the weather was terrible.

Have to say, I'm losing trust in Florida. Looking at all the Med resorts, the weather is beautiful.

Katys Grandad
16-06-2013, 03:58
I'd definitely agree that you can be much more trusting of the weather in Europe at this time of year and through to September and that's why I avoid Florida during this period because good weather is key to my enjoyment of everything else. I'm afraid I find the "I know where I'd rather be" position to be very little comfort when I'm on holiday and the weather is poor.

I honestly believe that if the school holidays weren't in July/August then many would choose to stay away from Florida and go April/May & October instead. The fact is they are, so it will no doubt remain popular for all the other things it has to offer but there are certainly much better weather spots in the world at that time.

Andrena
16-06-2013, 21:37
Mind you the weather is pretty poor in parts of Europe right now. Friends have just returned from Prague and it was flooded, hardly left their hotel. As for Florida we are thankfully not tied ton school holidays so usually go April/May and October/November when the weather s usually pretty good.
I feel that it is time that schools allowed parents to take children out of school for a maximum of say two weeks out of the main holiday period. After all not everybody can get off work during July and August or at Easter.

Andrena

steph_goodrum
17-06-2013, 05:03
Mind you the weather is pretty poor in parts of Europe right now. Friends have just returned from Prague and it was flooded, hardly left their hotel. As for Florida we are thankfully not tied ton school holidays so usually go April/May and October/November when the weather s usually pretty good.
I feel that it is time that schools allowed parents to take children out of school for a maximum of say two weeks out of the main holiday period. After all not everybody can get off work during July and August or at Easter.

Andrena

Andrena
The law still says the children CAN have a max of 2 weeks off in school year for family holiday "with the schools consent", it's just that many schools are refusing to give consent because of fears over league tables etc. because the children are going to get so far behind etc. which to me is not true. It can be overcome.
Regarding the weather, my daughtet and son il law went to Venice a couple of weekends ago and got flooded everywhere. They bought the equivalent of the yellow ponchos, in Venice everyone was wearing yellow plastic wellingtons that go over your shoes to keep dry.

canarypam
17-06-2013, 05:07
Well we returned home from Orlando last week and had mostly good weather very hot with usual afternoon showers. Just he last day when tropical storm Andrea came over when t rained all day.

Katys Grandad
17-06-2013, 06:54
Andrena

Regarding the weather, my daughtet and son il law went to Venice a couple of weekends ago and got flooded everywhere. They bought the equivalent of the yellow ponchos, in Venice everyone was wearing yellow plastic wellingtons that go over your shoes to keep dry.

That always disappointing I know but wet weather in Europe a couple of weeks ago is the exception whereas in Orlando it"s very wet and humid in June/July/August/early September every year. In fact, it has something approaching 20 times the rain of Venice in those months and nearer 30 times that in the Med resorts in Portugal, Spain and Greece.

I holiday in Florida at least twice every year and will continue to do so but I've been there and other parts of the world often enough to know that I can get more reliable weather elsewhere in those months. As I'm lucky to have that choice I stay away but for others I recognise that the situation might be different.

dawn
17-06-2013, 06:55
We received a letter from our school recently, stating new government legislation saying that authorised absence will no longer be allowed at all in term time, except in exceptional circumstances - the head teacher no longer has authority to grant it. This comes in to effect from September 2013.

steph_goodrum
17-06-2013, 11:48
This is the transcript of the new legislation
"http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/attendance/a00223868/regulations-amendments"
at least it makes it consistent and not down to the individual discretion of the head teacher who may have differing views from another.

E. Cosgrove
17-06-2013, 15:35
Whilst I approve of the amendments I think they will be extremely difficult to enforce. The fines are not enough of a deterrent as they are far less than the saving a family of four will make travelling in term time.

ujpest doza
12-08-2013, 19:42
We received a letter from our school recently, stating new government legislation saying that authorised absence will no longer be allowed at all in term time, except in exceptional circumstances - the head teacher no longer has authority to grant it. This comes in to effect from September 2013.

We got that letter as well.
We've been booked up since last April and have already submitted holiday forms for this Octobers trip where we're taking our 2 out of school.
There's 2 things for me with a summer trip to Florida. 1 is the extreme heat, humidity and crowds and the other is my job as july and august are very busy for me so a florida trip usually means October as we've found this most suitable.

Lyn
12-08-2013, 20:21
If they fine you, it is £60 per child per parent so £240. This would still be much cheaper than the increased fares for going in July/August. The school will say there will be unauthorised absences on the child's school record. I am not sure that this affects the child at all, it does however look bad on the schools record, it is one of the things that OFSTED look at.

gpullan
13-08-2013, 07:01
We tested the options of August and October. August flights £7800 for 10 people flying Virgin. October flights £4700, same flight!

We booked for October!!!

Submitted holiday request last December and followed the rules the headteacher set out the last time we went 2 years ago. They were that the children needed over 95% attendance in the full school year preceeding the holiday, the previous year must not include any holidays and that the holiday must not be taken in September. She authorised 2 out of 3 holidays, the reason she couldn't do the 3rd is that she was not allowed to authorise a holiday for any child in year 6 (the last school year in primary).

No fines though, just one child unauthorised and she said nothing would happen but she couldn't make as authorised.

As said, it's not the parents that should be targeted, it's the holiday companies. Jet fuel and wages cost no more in August than they do in October!

All that said, we wouldn't choose to go in July or August anyway with kids aged 5 and 3. Far too hot and humid for them in the parks.

ujpest doza
13-08-2013, 12:04
If they fine you, it is £60 per child per parent so £240. This would still be much cheaper than the increased fares for going in July/August. The school will say there will be unauthorised absences on the child's school record. I am not sure that this affects the child at all, it does however look bad on the schools record, it is one of the things that OFSTED look at.

Exactly, not the childs record that looks bad but the schools ofsted report.
We got a letter 2 years ago as one of ours had a 91.8% attendance record and the rules stated that any child with less than 92% attendance got a warning letter about attendance.
The stupid thing is that on one of the occassions she was sick we'd took her to school and she felt poorly while lining up to go in so the teacher told us to take her home there and then without any hesitation.

Tony G
13-08-2013, 19:45
As said, it's not the parents that should be targeted, it's the holiday companies. Jet fuel and wages cost no more in August than they do in October!

Absolutely. Parents taking their kids out of school are a symptom. The cause is the swines putting the prices up SO MUCH during peak periods. Of course, they're untouchable as far as the government is concerned.

...Not that I'm bitter, or anything.