PDA

View Full Version : walkie talkies

Jo
11-02-2004, 01:13
Having spent 2 hours in Disneyland Paris looking for a lost husband [msncry]( I had the children - he just din't listen to where we were going), I don't want to repeat the experience.

Either I won't bother to look next time[}:)], or we could get walkie talkies. Are they much cheaper over there? Do UK ones work. Are they legal

Can anyone suggest somewhere to buy them. We are staying near Champions gate.

chrisj
11-02-2004, 01:20
Try Walmart last July $17 for 2

They are not legal to use back in England, as the band they use are the same as our
emergency services, trust me I found that out to my expense once, but thats another
story. Also UK ones are not legal to use in America

firsttimer
11-02-2004, 14:51
Chris, are the Walmart ones rechargeable or do you have to buy new batteries all the time?
How many wavelenghs do they have? Our British ones have 6, and it is often difficult to find a clear channel.

Jo, in previous threads people have explained that the British ones use the same channels as American emergency services, so you can't use them there, so I am planning to buy over there.

Don't forget that the distance they say on the box is always unhindered line of sight, so they will actually not work that far apart.
But they are great fun, and did help in France when we lost my nepehew briefly!! (he actually didn't know he was lost- had just wandered off in the other direction).
It's worth getting enough so everyone has one or so each couple has one.

chrisj
11-02-2004, 15:21
The ones we found in Walmart wernt rechargable, they use 3 AAA batteries. Im sure they
do others. They were the last pair on the shelf when we were in there. Our have 28 Channels
on them.

They worked brilliant for the parks, and the kids did go for walks around where we
stayed and loved keeping in touch every few feet

Nostromo
11-02-2004, 15:39
What is their max range? When we go, we are going to split-up and go in different directions and may be separated by 50 miles or more.

chrisj
11-02-2004, 15:40
The max range is 2 miles, but we've never managed to be that far apart. Im not sure if
walkie talkies could cover a range like that

Nostromo
11-02-2004, 15:49
Thanks Chrisj. I guess we'll have to use our mobiles as necessary.

firsttimer
11-02-2004, 17:57
They are great if you are travelling in a convoy in separate cars (but again you can't go too far apart.
If Walmart sell out, are there any other shops that would have them?

chrisj
11-02-2004, 18:21
Im sure you would be able to find them in other shops

firsttimer
12-02-2004, 14:04
Tips for using 2 way radios for the first time (from exerience)
-Make sure you explain controls to everyone, including how to change channels if you find your is too crowded.....but make sure everyone knows to do this before you do! Practice around your villa.
-Set the volume at low to start with- if it is too high you can get distortion and cracking up.
-Make sure no one uses them like a mobile phone when they speak....you won't be able to hear them properly. The handset needs to be a few inches in front of their mouth.
-Practice coordinating listening, saying "over" and pressing the button to speak...especially if you have elderly people in your party.
Choose call signs if you want to sound really professional rather than saying "hello it's me, meet me at the pizza kiosk"!
Oh yes, don't let your brother in law speak as if he is talking to a control tower from a pilots seat...you won't understand a word he says! (and he only does this because he has one of those land a plane computer games!)

ctgirlscout
12-02-2004, 16:52
We bought a set last summer at Radio Shack, which is an electronics chain here in the US. We paid $10 on sale for the set and it had a $20 rebate (do the math!).

pooh718
12-02-2004, 19:43
firsttimer had an excellent suggestion that you agree on a backup channel in case someone else in the area is using it. Been using these walkie-talkies on vacation for a least four years and have found them invaluable. The only place where I've ever run into someone else on the same channel was at a Disney park.

Daryl

orlandobabe
14-02-2004, 22:27
Try Walmart last July $17 for 2 -end quote

That's really cheap! Our rechargeable ones were $50 from Costco.

Absolutely invaluable-even in Walmart. We've also used them when we've dropped people off at the parks-and need to meet up with them later.

Pikey1999
14-02-2004, 22:43
The emergency services should be clear of these channels by the end of 2005 as they will have new digital radio system completed by them.
Well the police will anyhow! [msnwink]

DISNEYDIVA
15-02-2004, 03:10
Love your Avatar Pikey1999, made me jump though [msneek]

Pikey1999
16-02-2004, 01:54
quote:Originally posted by DISNEYDIVA

Love your Avatar Pikey1999, made me jump though [msneek]

Thanks, I think he/she (can't tell!) is very graceful.

Pikey1999
16-02-2004, 01:56
Took me ages to film it...;)