PDA

View Full Version : Where to spend a night driving from New York

pooh718
10-02-2004, 18:57
Would appreciate any advice on where to stay overnight
driving from New York City to Orlando.

Hope this is the proper forum for this question.

Thanks,
Daryl Tom

Amirah
10-02-2004, 23:18
I would recommend you stop in Richmond, Virginia if you are coming from NY...we didn't do that though. We took it to the South of the Border (in South Carolina) and slept overnight at a motel there. If you can make at least make it to South Carolina then stay somewhere there. But most importantly...stop driving if you're really really tired. What time are you leaving from NY and are you leaving from the City?

pooh718
10-02-2004, 23:45
Amirah,

I was planning to leave from the city at 4am (planning to at least)
on a Friday. Will be driving a conversion van with several drivers so this will prevent anyone from getting too tired. I was actually
thinking about stopping somewhere around Dillon, SC as that would seem to be a good amount of traveling for a day. Where you satisified
staying in Dillon for the evening?
Thanks for responding, it's appreciated.

cyclefan88
11-02-2004, 00:26
Daryl,

It's been a while, but I drove down with 4 buddies during my college days. We rented a car from National and each took 2 hr shifts. We made it down to Georgia before the car overheated thus having to spend the night there. :(

The next day National gave us another car and we were on our way. I think the drive was about 18-20 hrs total.

chrizzy100
11-02-2004, 00:51
quote:Originally posted by cyclefan88

Daryl,

It's been a while, but I drove down with 4 buddies during my college days. We rented a car from National and each took 2 hr shifts. We made it down to Georgia before the car overheated thus having to spend the night there. :(

The next day National gave us another car and we were on our way. I think the drive was about 18-20 hrs total.

It takes us about 22 hours driving time from Mass.......we just stop where the mood takes us......we leave here at around 7am and stop for the night at around 8-9pm.....we get to FL sometime the next evening......

Amirah
11-02-2004, 07:32
We cannot remember the name of the place LOL. It was in last May. Sorry. We left New Jersey. We live 15 minutes from Newark and we left there around 1pm. We didn't make it to S. Carolina until about midnight. We could have taken it all the way to Orlando but Anderson's knees were conking out on him. I think that if you leave at 1am and you keep it moving, you can make it to Orlando at 5pm. It has been done by the Amarante's in 16hrs flat before our daughter was born. I don't think that you would want to do that though. But if you have a lot of drivers I don't think you need to sleep overnight in a hotel if you don't have a bad backs.

mm69340
11-02-2004, 20:49
Hey -

I am leaving NYC at 6 am thursday and have a reservation at the Days In in Florence SC- right off 95. From NYC I will be there in 9 hours and change.... Then it is 7 hours from the hotel to my home in Florida....

Amirah
11-02-2004, 21:10
Yep, I was right...the drive can be done in 16hrs straight away with several bathroom breaks. At our ages, we need to stay at a hotel overnight to get refreshed.

Karen how many times have you driven down to Orlando? We've done it only twice and never again. LOL!

Anybody run into Richmond, Virginia rush hour traffic about 4 to 8pm? It has to be the worst traffic ever travelling down 95 South.

mm69340
11-02-2004, 21:33
This is my first shot with 2 children- hence the hotel stop...I may have to put a stop on it as I "may" have a rental coming in...

Hubby doesn't ever want to try it- I on the other hand am for the "adventure" and with 2 drivers I bet we could do it in a day..however, the 6 children may object. I just think - what a great "free" vacation especially with the airfares for 8 of us during some times of the year!

chrizzy100
11-02-2004, 22:17
quote:Originally posted by Amirah

Yep, I was right...the drive can be done in 16hrs straight away with several bathroom breaks. At our ages, we need to stay at a hotel overnight to get refreshed.

Karen how many times have you driven down to Orlando? We've done it only twice and never again. LOL!

Anybody run into Richmond, Virginia rush hour traffic about 4 to 8pm? It has to be the worst traffic ever travelling down 95 South.

Once we get passed New York City...we've always had a clear drive down........

chrizzy100
11-02-2004, 22:22
quote:Originally posted by mm69340

This is my first shot with 2 children- hence the hotel stop...I may have to put a stop on it as I "may" have a rental coming in...

Hubby doesn't ever want to try it- I on the other hand am for the "adventure" and with 2 drivers I bet we could do it in a day..however, the 6 children may object. I just think - what a great "free" vacation especially with the airfares for 8 of us during some times of the year!

I paid $72 for a return from Orlando to Boston with Jetblue...a great fight....I find its the cost of car hire and airfare if we're going for a few weeks......if we drive down it costs around $100 for gas and odds and ends....and $40 for a room.......and the same back again.....

mm69340
11-02-2004, 23:11
So far I have never paid more than $99/ticket before tax. This was all last minute so the best I could do was $300/ticket. It would have only cost $40 for the hotel room and than $100 round trip for gas.

BUT- sadly-I will not have the fun this time as just confirmed all 4 nights are rented! So- I shall try another time!

Amirah
12-02-2004, 04:14
Doing the trip in one day is definetly possible. My 8 year old didn't complain at all. Sorry, you're not going. We are having the same problem with airline tickets...the lowest anywhere is 300 dollars per person. I have a few fare watchers setup to email me if it goes down below 220 dollars but I don't see that happening in the near future. We might end up going to the Poconos twice this year and skipping Florida...we'll see.

pooh718
12-02-2004, 19:38
All,
I've flown my first three vacation trips to florida (2 Orlando, 1 Tampa) and didn't really mind.
Wanted to try driving at least once since I never did it in my college years. I'm sure it would have been fun. I wanted to try the drive from NYC to Orlando at least once. There's no doubt that I plan to stop for a night to spare the ol back.

Karen,
I've been trying to figure out for the last few days where to spend the night, hence this post
and yesterday I came up with Florence, SC also. Thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn there.

Amirah,
Thanks for the mention about the traffic in VA. Any other large traffic jams to worry about?

Thanks to all for your response, its much appreciated. Hope to be able to reciprocate.

Daryl

mm69340
12-02-2004, 20:06
Daryl- I had made reservations at the Days Inn- b/c I was going to be pulling in late and wanted it right off the highway- which it was. It was a left turn off the exit and BAM! There you were. IT was $39.20 plus tax.

Amirah- I'm not to worried about the older ones- the 9 and 8 y/o I am more worried about the 7-5-3-2...especially if we had a "dirty diaper" before the next scheduled stop ;)

fiona
12-02-2004, 21:59
This is really useful folks as we are considering either driving down to the villa in the summer or a quick trip to the Keys. Guess who has double booked herself for 4 days , but CANNOT turn down a booking! We thought a leisurely drive down might be quite nice, so any suggestions for that? I suppose I ought to start another thread!!

Amirah
13-02-2004, 05:45
We also ran into traffic in Maryland...I think it was by the Maryland House (rest stop area) around like 3or 4 pm. Nothing cannot be worse than Richmond VA and Washington DC rush hour traffic. My friend was telling me that Jacksonville, Fl. rush hour in the morning is hected as well. We got into Jacksonville at around 3 or 4 in the morning so we ran into no traffic. Jacksonville is beautiful at night...the freeways and the lights are breath taking.