PDA

View Full Version : Places to avoid?

firsttimer
10-02-2004, 14:21
Every so often we hear horror stories about people getting held up or robbed in laybys or car parks.
Are there any places which are notorious locally which we should avoid? I have read hear that you should keep your doors locked while driving, and I know you shouldn't leave anything visible in the car when you leave it. Is there any other safetly avdive?

kevinprewett
10-02-2004, 15:25
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

Every so often we hear horror stories about people getting held up or robbed in laybys or car parks.
Are there any places which are notorious locally which we should avoid? I have read hear that you should keep your doors locked while driving, and I know you shouldn't leave anything visible in the car when you leave it. Is there any other safetly avdive?

Never had any problem at all, the areas you will be visiting are all excellent. If you do feel at all concerned whilst driving,if you feel you might be being followed don't panic pull into a well lit area, gas station etc.
You'll have fantastic time don't worry![msnwink]

bellaepovera
10-02-2004, 16:06
HI I was born and raised in the US and never locked my car door and always felt safe in Florida, more so then Chicago. Youll know if you have to lock your doors or not..I suppose thats all over the world.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-02-2004, 16:09
The only place we ever felt unsafe in Orlando was the north end of Orange Blossom Trail, to the north of the Florida Mall. I'm told it's the red light area which might explain things.

Other than that everywhere is VERY safe and we have never felt threatened. You will find most (if not all) US cars autromtically lock all doors about 15 seconds after you drive off [msnsmile]

Nostromo
12-02-2004, 16:54
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

The only place we ever felt unsafe in Orlando was the north end of Orange Blossom Trail, to the north of the Florida Mall. I'm told it's the red light area which might explain things.

Yike! My wife is planning to go to Florida Mall by taxi sometime in the morning when we go to KSC (we're leaving too early for them to be dropped off). We will pick them up on the way back by 7pm or so, which may mean that they have to wait for us for some time after their shopping. In light of what you have said, is this a bad idea?

bellaepovera
12-02-2004, 17:18
Except for Sundays the Mall I believe is open till 9m. There are never enough hours in the day to shop!!

jeffc
12-02-2004, 20:34
the florida mall is the same as every mall in florida or the us there security people patrolling all the time the mall is open. so its pretty safe to leave your wife in the mall area..

its the same as all over the uk you wouldn,t go into any city late at night on your own so dont do the same here..

esprit
13-02-2004, 07:15
I would agree totally re North OBT just near where it joins Colonial. So we are looking right up around Washington way north of the mall. We clean offices up there and I always press the lock button down. Lots of strip joints and a few ladies of the night about plus the odd unsavoury looking type. Probably not dangerous as such, just seedy. I would also avoid Central Orlando bus station. Neither of these are actually on the main tourist route so you should be OK anywhere you want to go, I have been coming to Orlando for twelve years and now live here and the only place I have ever been mugged was in Tescos car park in Manchester, England. I wouldnt really worry about it, it is no more dangerous than the UK.

Pikey1999
13-02-2004, 18:06
quote:Originally posted by espritThe only place I have ever been mugged was in Tescos car park in Manchester, England.

Yeah, Manchester is dangerous! [msnwink]

Only place I found a bit dodgy was going to Church Street Station the first time I went. Took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up driving along some rough looking streets. We were constantly watched by the locals and they weren't smilling! [msnscared]

Nostromo
13-02-2004, 18:59
I once got lost in Deptford, a London suburb, in broad daylight. Suffice to say that it was not an experience that I am looking forward to reliving.

bridget
20-04-2004, 21:01
I think Britain is more dangerous that the US FULL STOP. I live in Nottingham and the gun crime is just getting out of control.

andy1
21-04-2004, 22:36
Hi,the best advice I can give is not to drive along with a map on view,plan your trip beforehand.We have ben to Florida several times and security is very good in the tourist areas,keep of the beaten track and you wil be fine.It is no less unfriendly as any where in England,do what you would normally do at home. Florida relies on tourism for it's commerce and trade so they do not want any bad publicity, you will not see many patrol cars or police but believe me they are not far away.Public places aiways seem to have more than enough security guards.As for keeping your car doors locked,it's a small sacrifice for peace of mind,have a great time