PDA

View Full Version : driving tips for a 1st timer

paul and pauline
10-02-2004, 02:55
Hi this is my first trip to orlando as an adult last time i visited i was a teenager,but now i a father and its my turn to do the driving!
so can anyone give me tips as ive never driven abroad before,let alone on the wrong side of the road
ie turning through traffic lights,
speed limits give ways!
round abouts.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.
thanx

jotter
10-02-2004, 03:07
The first time I drove in the US I was petrified however within a couple of days I didnt even notice I was driving on the wrong side of the road [apart from everyone flashing their lights and swerving out of the way] one tip when driving give yourself plenty of space between you and the car in front as the traffic tends to stop very quickly especially on the 192 with all the traffic lights.

jeffc
10-02-2004, 03:16
just remember the steering wheel should always be in the middle of the road.....

best of luck..

Nostromo
10-02-2004, 13:40
I drove for the first time in the USA in 1991 and was worried about being on the 'wrong' side of the road. But traffic in the USA is far more disciplined and organised than in the UK and within 48 hours it was a piece of cake. Left turns at major intersections will take a bit of getting used to, but itherwise, it is easy. The one thing you have to be very aware of are school buses. Read the old thread in this forum about it.

firsttimer
10-02-2004, 14:06
If you haven't driven an automatic before, make sure the rental people show you how it works, and ask if there is somehere you can practice a little. Luckily when this happened to hubby, they were very good and directed us to a quiet road to use. I'm sooo glad we did because it wasn't very comfy when hubby kept slamming the brake on when he thought he needed the clutch!! Don't forget, you only use one foot not 2 in an automatic.
Also, before you set off, look at the map and know where you are going.

NadimAshiq
10-02-2004, 17:43
Hi

I have driven a fair bit in the states from Florida all the way to Tennessee

As other people have said before if you can drive over here you can drive in Florida!

Generally speaking unless you go to a real big city the traffic is not that bad, and I have found the vast majority of US drivers to be patient.
In my experience they obey speed limits, do not drive so close to you that you think they are going to take your bumper off! as happens all the time in the UK

Driving an automatic is dead easy, the only problem you will have initially is driving on the right side of the road.
This is not a huge problem on roads with other cars on as you can follow everyone else, but it is easy to forget on roads with no traffic.

I am sure you will have fun

kevinprewett
12-02-2004, 15:51
Don't forget on major highways with more than one lane ( I4 or I 25) for example, cars will overtake you on your left AND your right side![msnwink]

brizzle
12-02-2004, 22:25
Best advice I can give after driving for the first time in December is don't panic too much before you go.
The worst time I had driving whilst 'on holiday' was coming back from Gatwick on our return!!
After the wonderfully relaxing experience of Floridian driving the M25/M4 in horrible rainy conditions was sooooo depressing and stressful.

Enjoy...

Brizzle

Ray&Sarah
13-02-2004, 00:29
One good thing - no roundabouts (well few and far between anyway!)

phaedra
15-02-2004, 14:31
Never drive in the right lane on the I4!!!!

It keeps dissappearing! :D

george
15-02-2004, 16:19
As to the earlier posting re: 'Make certain the steering wheel is in the middle of the road' I have the additional tips.
Try to be behind the wheel all the time and don't dive for cover over the seat with the kids and mother-in-law.
On a serious note when picking up your rental find out where the windscreen wipers are as you may get a sudden rain storm the like you have not seen. It is a tip gained from not following my own advice. Driving in Florida fine. Far better than your ride to your UK airport.[msncool][msncool]

Pikey1999
16-02-2004, 01:18
Stick to the speed limits, don't drink and drive, turn right at a red light when it's safe to pull out and wait to pass school buses when they have their warning lights flashing.
Oh and be careful when your at lights coming out of a one way street. It's the only occasion that still gets me attempting to drive on the wrong side of the street. [:I]

bridget
20-04-2004, 21:08
The first time I drove in Florida, I was so nervous I was shaking all over. Hard to tell a first timer but you really do have to relax and not rush it. (as my Dad says, b*****r everyone else)... Make sure your front seat passenger knows exactly where you're going and that you've got a good map. You can turn right at a red light as long as it's clear. I found the hardest thing was not using 2 feet to drive - I'd never driven an automatic car before - but after that first drive, you'll be loving it! Good luck and have fun.

PS: don't do what my father-in-law did. He took a turn off at Disney - the sign clearly said the limit was 15mph and he was doing about 60 and we all nearly ended up in a lake!