PDA

View Full Version : driving

paul and pauline
10-02-2004, 02:49
[msnscared]Hi this is my first trip to orlando as an adult last time i visited i was a teenager,but now i a father and its my turn to do the driving!
so can anyone give me tips as ive never driven abroad before,let alone on the wrong side of the road[msnwink]
ie turning through traffic lights,
speed limits give ways!
round abouts.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.
thanx

esprit
10-02-2004, 02:58
The worst driver in the world who now lives here and has finally decided she has to drive replying. If I can drive here anyone can!!! Very very few roundabouts, I only know of one. Turning through lights, many lights you can turn right on red providing nothing is coming ( ie unless you are told not to). Turning right or left, get right into the filter lane before slowing down and dont do what I used to do and stop in the middle of the road. Stop sign - means STOP dead, dont edge forward. Yield is give way. Speed limits are indicated, They move fast on both 192 and 27 ( 55) Biggest difficulty, they can overtake you on the inside - I hate that. Lane discipline much stricter than UK.
The U turn is used much more frequently ( ie to turn around) Stop dead if you see a school bus with the stop sign out ( both sides of the road must unless there is a big central reservation) Oh and they drive on the right ( though Ive fouled up that one the odd time!!)
PS you can always download a copy of their highway code.

blott
10-02-2004, 03:05
Oooh, I know two roudabouts.

Driving is no problem in Florida Paul and Pauline. Just make sure when you pick up your rental car that you understand all the controls properly before you drive off and, if you don't understand any - ask!

You'll find lots of driving hints and tips in this section of the forum which is dedicated to driving.

You'll be fine, don't worry!

esprit
10-02-2004, 04:09
Perhaps I went straight over the other one, Blottie. She said that to me too!!!
My advice. If you are nervous, stay in a airport hotel and then drive in the daylight and refreshed the next day. Take the Greeneway not 1-4. THere are some people on that road with a death wish. I go up and down every night to my business and see on average a crash a night. Get to your villa and do a bit of local pottering until confident. The locals are used to Brits doing daft things. Pity we cant have British dtiver plates like the learner plates to tell people that the driver is on a learning curve though.

blott
10-02-2004, 04:13
They're both on West Oak Street... [msnwink]

steph_goodrum
10-02-2004, 11:48
We've got one on Hampton Lakes.:D

kevinprewett
10-02-2004, 12:16
quote:Originally posted by paul and pauline

[msnscared]Hi this is my first trip to orlando as an adult last time i visited i was a teenager,but now i a father and its my turn to do the driving!
so can anyone give me tips as ive never driven abroad before,let alone on the wrong side of the road[msnwink]
ie turning through traffic lights,
speed limits give ways!
round abouts.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.
thanx
Hi,
don't panic! it's easier than driving in the uk!
When you pick up your hire car don't be afraid to ask for driving directions to you motel/villa & get a map.

good luck[msnwink]