PDA

View Full Version : I take a biscuit tin!

firsttimer
09-02-2004, 17:30
If I have room, I always pack a biscuit tin in my case. It is fairly light, and whatever type of case or bag you have it can give extra protection to things you don't want squashed eg all those lovely souvenirs and bargains. You can't take everything in your hand luggage. I wrap things in it in socks etc for padding, and sellotape it up.

I also squeeze out a little air from plastic bottles and put anything containing liquid or cream in a tied plastic bag in case of leaks.

In my hand luggage I always have a spare pair of panties and toothbrush in case of delays, and on longer trips I pack a t shirt and swimming costume in case of unexpected stopovers (we once had a night in Sharjah on the way to China, and an elderly experienced traveller was the only one to be able to go swimming in the stifling heat)

Has anyone else any 'useful tips'

Cruella DeVilla
27-05-2004, 05:13
I take enough toiletries for a couple of daysonly, freebies from magazines, sample sizes and most High Street Chemists do travel size products. I then get let loose in Walmart and buy what I need there, it saves you lugging it over and possible leaks. The spare undies......must be a woman thing, I always carry and a book!
CDV

blott
27-05-2004, 06:19
Stuff your shoes with underwear - it stops the shoes getting squashed! ;)

LesleyB
27-05-2004, 10:13
I also put a sock over any duty free bottles I am bringing back to stop them 'clinking' against anything else.

Lesley

TonyBlenk
27-05-2004, 10:31
* Print-out a checklist of things to pack/take and check them off as you go along
* Roll, rather than fold, clothes.
* Hang any creased clothes in your bathroom whilst showering and the creases will drop out with the steam.

Unfortunately I won't be able to put these into practice for another 3 months!

rosie
27-05-2004, 11:37
I always take a couple of plastic ziplock bags, the bigger the better. We put all the valuables in them when we go the wet rides, wallets, cameras etc. We found out the hard way that a wet camera dont work too well hehe

Carla
27-05-2004, 12:24
My husband is the "bubble wrap" king. Anything fragile is automatically wrapped in it!! We always have some spare for the return trip, just in case.:D:D

Cruella DeVilla
11-06-2004, 01:14
Yeh a list is a good idea. I have an Excel spreadsheet and I delete items as I pack them. Do not care on the way home!! I also carry a wee first aid kit: plasters, pain killer, tummy tablets every time we go out. Also tissues and wet wipes/loo roll........you never know!!
CDV [}:)]

blott
11-06-2004, 02:39
Ah, in that case, I spotted in Wal-Mart a card with five rolls of loo paper on it. Yes, but why would you want that you may ask? Well... these plastic 'rolls' were about the size of a largish cigar widthways and half as long and contain 50 sheets of loo paper for emergency use (or camping I guess). At only a couple of dollars, I couldn't resist! :D

Cruella DeVilla
15-06-2004, 06:39
Blott,
Glad it is not just me, I have the Charmin roll in my handbag!!
CDV[:I]

boo-yeh
16-06-2004, 17:23
Going back to 'rosieuk's ziplock bags - stupid question probably, but does anyone know where I can get some that are a decent (Camcorder) size - I always get a bit nervous that the water rides could be very expensive. Someone will probably say something like 'Tesco' - shows who does the shopping in our house!!?! I haven't a clue!

Ta !

[msnscared]

blott
16-06-2004, 17:55
Yep! Any large supermarket will sell them and they also sell them in most supermarkets in Florida, ie Wal-Mart, Publix, etc.

I'm not too sure though whether they're absolutely guaranteed waterproof under water ride conditions! If it's a digital camcorder, then I would suggest you ask your local camera supplier if they have guaranteed waterproof ones, just in case.

chrisj
16-06-2004, 17:57
I get mine from Tesco actually :D

chrizzy100
16-06-2004, 18:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by boo-yeh
Going back to 'rosieuk's ziplock bags - stupid question probably, but does anyone know where I can get some that are a decent (Camcorder) size - I always get a bit nervous that the water rides could be very expensive. Someone will probably say something like 'Tesco' - shows who does the shopping in our house!!?! I haven't a clue!

Ta !

[msnscared]
[/quote]

I'd put it in the lock ups near the ride....

rosie
01-07-2004, 03:12
If you fly with Virgin the amenities kit bag you get on the flight out takes our camcorder comfortably and is always useful for wet cossies after a trip to the water parks.

Since reading all the posts I'm so glad I'm not the only one who likes to cover all eventualities, my friends all think I'm mad until they need something that I always seem to have handy.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with having kids and always being prepared dib dib dib :D:D.

Cruella DeVilla
01-07-2004, 15:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
If you fly with Virgin the amenities kit bag you get on the flight out takes our camcorder comfortably and is always useful for wet cossies after a trip to the water parks.

Since reading all the posts I'm so glad I'm not the only one who likes to cover all eventualities, my friends all think I'm mad until they need something that I always seem to have handy.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with having kids and always being prepared dib dib dib :D:D.
[/quote]

Yeh Rosie,
Mr CDV is the same, what do you need that for, then 3 days later, have you got any......? He always takes his Leatherman tool and to be honest we have fixed more than one dodgy shower head or suitcase screw when my handle comes loose, with it!!!

Bamboo Benny
01-07-2004, 23:47
I never smoke in bed. Could start a fire.

I also find a little white vinegar on the shower curtain works wonders for those mould stains.

I allways put plenty of paper down to avoid splashback.

jolliffee
24-07-2004, 19:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
I always take a couple of plastic ziplock bags, the bigger the better. We put all the valuables in them when we go the wet rides, wallets, cameras etc. We found out the hard way that a wet camera dont work too well hehe
[/quote]

I get these from Tesco too but looking for larger ones, I found them in my local Lakeland at Chichester. http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/GBP/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=SYDdhUfNuYEVpAbPOIbRg-8NgoxQWdaEJoM=?ProductID=SsnCy5OS81UAAADjBtTk4ILK

Am I the only one that takes a porta plug for thoses sinks that don't have one.[msnsad]

blott
24-07-2004, 21:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee

Am I the only one that takes a porta plug for thoses sinks that don't have one.[msnsad]
[/quote]I think you probably must be as I've never found a Florida home yet without an automatic sink plug. Now, in Europe...

jolliffee
25-07-2004, 04:29
Yeh! but I have found loads of hotels that don't. Really boring when the water leaks out through the poorly seated stopper when you are washing your socks.