PDA

View Full Version : Toilet talk

scamhammer
09-02-2004, 14:53
It is most annoying that the US tern “rest room” is now to be seen in British-owned hotels in the UK. Why can Americans not say the word “toilet”.

The most ridiculous example was when an Orlando newscaster last month referred to turtles “going to the bathroom” on Daytona Beach.

tinkerbell
09-02-2004, 15:38
I think it's much more civilised to announce at dinner you're paying a visit to the restroom than the 'toilet'. We're not do big on politeness here, that apparent from the second you land in the country.

florida4sun
09-02-2004, 17:38
Why is it annoying? 'powder room' is used frequently in the UK and that sounds really dumb to other cultures. You have to remember that even though english is spoken in the USA it is a foreign country, why should they adopt our culture? What next English pubs lining the 192, oops too late!!!

quote:Originally posted by scamhammer

It is most annoying that the US tern “rest room” is now to be seen in British-owned hotels in the UK. Why can Americans not say the word “toilet”.

The most ridiculous example was when an Orlando newscaster last month referred to turtles “going to the bathroom” on Daytona Beach.

tinkerbell
09-02-2004, 18:58
Yeah unfortunately so, I think it's easy to forget as you pointed out Martin, that the USA is a foreign country and we as visitors shoud respect that. I do think that british tourists can sometimes be the worst, as we do tend to look for signs of home everywhere! I already said in another thread that only british tourists would pay over the top prices for a packet of Walkers crisps on a two week break! I personally want to experience the local culture of a place when I am away from home rather than try to recreate my homeland!

I can honestly say though martin, I've yet to meet someone that says they are going to the powder room!

blott
09-02-2004, 19:02
You do, though, meet people I bet who say they're off to powder their nose! And with men, dogs come into the explanation of why they're leaving the room or, in my cousin's case, bicycles!

MMFAN
09-02-2004, 19:25
You have to appreciate that to an American, the word toilet refers to the the actual fixture. So asking where the toilets are feels kind of crude if you can look at it from an American's point of view. When I go to the UK I use British terms (to the extent I know them), knowing that although it sounds strange to me, I am the visitor. That's part of the fun of being someplace other than home!

tinkerbell
09-02-2004, 19:41
Same here Stuart, as the saying goes..... 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do!'

esprit
09-02-2004, 20:22
Being in the toilet business as a janitorial company, I can tell you that bathroom is the most commonly used name for what we call a loo. Fairly confusing for us as no bath in there. Realtors in Celebration refer to them as powder rooms. Kids seem to refer to it as "potty".
There are all sorts of pseudonoyms given on loo doors here also, such as guys and dolls, cowboys and cowgirls ete etc.

chrizzy100
09-02-2004, 20:28
quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell

Yeah unfortunately so, I think it's easy to forget as you pointed out Martin, that the USA is a foreign country and we as visitors shoud respect that. I do think that british tourists can sometimes be the worst, as we do tend to look for signs of home everywhere! I already said in another thread that only british tourists would pay over the top prices for a packet of Walkers crisps on a two week break! I personally want to experience the local culture of a place when I am away from home rather than try to recreate my homeland!

I can honestly say though martin, I've yet to meet someone that says they are going to the powder room!

If you come to the Cape and ask for the Loo....you'll find people here now know what that is......Americans love English words.....and spend time learning them.....I'd not be worried about just being English...and using words you use at home....
:D:D:D

bellaepovera
09-02-2004, 21:01
We also use the "Ladies Room, but if you want to be really crude you can ask where the John is!! Just kiddin...even though it does stand for that!!

Nostromo
10-02-2004, 02:29
quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell

Same here Stuart, as the saying goes..... 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do!'

Sure. I like to annoy my wife by saying "Appreeeeciaaaated" instead of boring old "Thank You" whenever we are in the USA. But I have to admit that there is one American expression that does annoy me a bit - that is the way they say "right" instead of "yes".

tinkerbell
10-02-2004, 14:17
Yes, I know what you mean! It's because if someone did that here it would come across as patronising!

bellaepovera
10-02-2004, 16:07
Right!

Pikey1999
16-02-2004, 01:28
quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
If you come to the Cape

I had to read that one twice...just to check!

flyrr100
17-07-2004, 00:10
One thing you won't find in a British loo is a machine for rubbers! (Why do I want to erase anything in here?)

Nostromo
17-07-2004, 01:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
One thing you won't find in a British loo is a machine for rubbers! (Why do I want to erase anything in here?)
[/quote]

Of course you do! They're there in all the male loos of most pubs, M-way service places etc. I can understand the ones in the pub, but I am still stuggling to figure out their presence in the M-Way stops. Most people drive-on, don't they?

porky
17-07-2004, 14:43
They are also now in all the female loos I've been to here in the UK.

I think Jeff was taking the - extracting the urine as he's really a closet Brit:D:D:D

Jacqui

chrisj
17-07-2004, 15:51
I can confirm they are in the ladies loos, wont eplain how I know but I do :)

blott
17-07-2004, 16:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
I can confirm they are in the ladies loos, wont eplain how I know but I do :)
[/quote]Yes you're right, they are. You're always dropping little comments in like that in and then clamming up, leaving everyone else's mind boggling (well, mine is anyway!).

Personally I think Jeff was having a double entendre moment? [:I] If you ask for a rubber in a store in Florida, you'll get an eraser? [8)] That's my theory anyway!

chrisj
17-07-2004, 17:30
Ok I walked into the ladies the other week by mistake :D

blott
17-07-2004, 18:25
Oh my gosh! :D

sunseeker
18-07-2004, 01:51
yeah right-o chris, we believe you.;);)

Dave

chrisj
18-07-2004, 02:24
:D:D:D it was a genuine mistake made my mates laugh though

blott
18-07-2004, 02:36
You wanna take those shades off before you get yourself into any more trouble! :D

chrisj
18-07-2004, 03:12
:D:D:D:D:D

E. Cosgrove
18-07-2004, 13:57
We find it fun and now quite natural slipping into "American speak" when we go to the US it's alot easier than trying to speak French or Spanish!!
Going back to the toilet, loo, bathroom , restroom topic, the first time we went to WDW we were waiting outside the restrooms for my sister when a man came out of the gents and his wife said very loudly in a srong Southern US accent "Did you have a good dump honey?", they then went on to discuss his bowel habits in full hearing of everyone else.
To this day when we go to WDW and use the Bathroom loo etc etc my niece who is a very good mimic will repeat those words as we emerge. Needless to say we all try to nip away when she is not watching..she is 21 today ( happy birthday Soph) so maybe now her behaviour will improve!!

walmsley_family
18-07-2004, 14:12
One of the funny things happened recently when we were choosing the options for our new house, the sales person left a message on the voicemail to say,

"Forgot to ask would you like us to place the lavatory you asked for in the garage, as it can go no where else"

We thought what was she on about, we had asked for a sink to be placed in the utility room... ended up laughing with the sales person because apparantly a lavatory in usa means a basin, esp...when we told her about the uk meaning.

Mark

george
19-07-2004, 00:32
Things are going down the pan [msnscared][msnscared]

chunkichik
20-11-2004, 22:37
The different words for things didn't strike me as much as the politeness!!!!!

I used to live and now work in the retail trade in a very well to do commuter town in the Hertfordshire, (between luton and St Albans) and what strikes me is that no one has the manners to say please or thank you, they don't smile, they have no common courtesy at all. (apart from a few) and this goes across all ages.

The first time I came back from Orlando I was amazed just how miserable the English are and I was really fed up for a few weeks

Before all the Brits on the forum send the heavies round[msnwink] just think of the difference yourselves perhaps, it is just me?

LiesaAnna
20-11-2004, 23:28
do you know!!!that i have thought the same thing as well, not all but so many people are miserable and just plain rude, in the UK.
in the USA it seems to matter to the shop workers and the park workers "you have a good day now ya hear" they seem to genuinely mean it!!!!!!!
and to call me ma'am well royalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![msnwink]

sunseeker
20-11-2004, 23:49
must be the hat liesa :D:D:D

LiesaAnna
21-11-2004, 00:45
very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![laugh][laugh][laugh]