PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that hot in August?

debbie
07-02-2004, 16:18
We have been to Florida a few times in April, but we are now considering going in the school summer holidays. Has anyone been at this time and how hot/busy is it?
Thanks,
Debbie.

fiona
07-02-2004, 16:40
We usually go in the summer holidays as still have one daughter in school and we are unable to go at Easter due to work committments.

It is hot - really hot! However, if you pace yourself accordingly you can cope with it. It is busy in July and early August but quietens down once the US schools go back.

If we are visiting the parks we aim to get up early and be at the parks as they open (please note I said aim because I must point out we have 2 teenage daughters and as you know early moring is not something they usually do!). We come back to the villa for a late lunch and swim in the afternoon and then go back for the evening. We usually have Universal season tickets so if they have spent the best part of the day in bed ([xx(]) we drop them off and meet for supper in the evening.

So my advice is pace yourself, slap on the suntan lotion and make sure everyone drinks plenty of water. Also wear trainers not sandals to the parks because of the daily showers - plastic ponchos in a bag are a good idea too - cheaper at the supermarkets than at the parks when you are already wet!

bellaepovera
07-02-2004, 16:42
HI Debbie, I am always there during the month of August and it can get very hot, in the 90s but there are afternoon showers that also cool it off. The beginning of August is very busy, but near the end many schools open in the states so you might find it less busy.

dan
07-02-2004, 17:46
We always go during the summer holidays too because of our school age kids. Although I found Florida 'hot' it wasn't uncomfortable because
#the villa is air conditioned
#the shopping malls, restaurants, supermarkets etc are air all conditioned
#the car is air conditioned
#when at the theme parks you are too busy going from one ride to another to notice. Plus they have fans blasting cold air and water sprays on you at the entrance of the rides.
# the Americans drive everywhere.

As Fiona said early DO drink plenty of water whether at the parks or not, wear very comfy shoes or trainers at the parks (lots of walking), splash lots of sun lotion on and then you will enjoy your fantastic holiday.

stavros47
07-02-2004, 18:17
We like to visit in Summer due to my wife working in a school. The only thing I really hate is the 2hr plus wait for the better rides[msnsad][msnscared][msnmad]

Nostromo
07-02-2004, 18:20
The problem with July-August in Orlando is that it is very hot AND very crowded. I can cope with one of these, but not both. Also, sudden tropical thunderstorms can catch you off guard at that time of the year. They seldom last long, but can occur at the wrong moment for you and ruin your day.

On the positive side, most parks are open longer in July-August, giving you greater flexibility of hours.

One important factor in summer with kids and/or seniors is that with excessive sweating, dehydration and consequent tiredness is a significant factor with large parks. This is most noticeable with Sea World where there is very little shade when you are watching something.

In post-Easter April and early May, milder conditions and lower crowds mean less waiting in queues and less tiredness. So, you can do a 3-days on and 1-day rest in Spring, but in August it will have to be a 2-days on and 1-day off sequence. This means that you'll get better value out of a 3-week holiday in April-May than in August.

Carla
07-02-2004, 18:54
The crowds are much less from around mid August onwards. Often Universal and Sea World will give you an extra day to encourage people into the Parks. Flights from the UK are often cheaper from around 20 August onwards. The Florida children go back to school at the beginning of August, so less locals are around.

It's one of my favourite times. I love all that heat and like the others have said as long as you keep drinking water, you'll be fine. If anyone seems "cranky" for no real reason then they are probably dehydrating, so make them have a drink - kids dehydrate much quicker than adults.
[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

esprit
07-02-2004, 19:16
The end of August is the best as Carla says. Schools in Florida started back about 8th this year so it quietens down. Late July to mid August was really quite wet last year. But it is warm rain. If you cant go any other time...... Snd yo do get the parks open until really late about 10 pm wheras at the moment, they are shut at 6.

kevinprewett
07-02-2004, 19:54
We're always there in August, we love the heat but not hte crowds, need to make good use of fastpassetc.[msncool]

chrisj
07-02-2004, 21:05
Its Hot and very humid, we love the heat. Always drink a lot of fluids and cover up with sun tan
lotion. Theres nothing better than spending a day outside by the pool roasting and then jumping
in for a swim :)

tinkerbell
09-02-2004, 16:20
Yes, August is fab! As mentioned before, schools tend to open after around the 14th August, so if you can get out for the last two weeks of the summer holidays here you'll have the perfect weather and less crowds! This is all dependant on what comfort zone you like, I personaly love the humidity and the sun, so it's ideal for me![msncool]

chrizzy100
09-02-2004, 18:38
quote:Originally posted by bellaepovera

HI Debbie, I am always there during the month of August and it can get very hot, in the 90s but there are afternoon showers that also cool it off. The beginning of August is very busy, but near the end many schools open in the states so you might find it less busy.

I'm going to be in FL for the first time in the month of Aug this year......we mostly go in Dec-May......its luck I no longer think of the temp being in the 90s as hot......if I were still coming over from the UK...that kind of temp would of killed me......:(

My house can be in the 90s to a 100 inside a lot of the time if its a very hot summer .... until my AC gets its act together.....my AC is sick.....:(
My sons room was 115 before I put him in his new AC......but he never feels the hot or cold.........I just don't like how wet the air feels when it gets humid.....we have it at 100% most of the summer.....you can't even go to the mail box without needing a shower after......when we have been to FL when it was in the 90s and humid.....in May......the heat felt less wet....

Debs
09-02-2004, 18:59
We always used to visit Florida in May but the last couple of visits have been in August and I couldn't really tell the difference!!! Except for the showers!!! It felt the same, hot, humid - LOVELY Florida - except the parks are busy - we visit from 10 August onwards too when it is a bit quieter

NadimAshiq
09-02-2004, 20:17
Hi

I have visited in both August and October/November

It is certainly hot in August, however this is not a huge problem as the cars, shops, and hotels are all air conditioned.
However if you are going to spend a lot of time at the theme parks it could be a problem.

I could manage the heat in August but my wife thought it was just too hot

We did not think that it was overly busy in August.

October/November is slightly cooler and probably a better time of the year to go, however at this time of year the weather in the Keys is turbulent so I would probably avoid that bit

25-02-2004, 03:12
We are there Easter and all of August most years, as all the others have said lots of water, lots of rest and relaxation, and there is lots of air con. We love it, especially the daily thunderstorms, fanstastic![:I]

Ray&Sarah
25-02-2004, 04:00
You actually forget how hot it really is when you are in our air-conditioned villa or car. It is only when the doors open that the heat hits you and you remember exactly how hot it is. Drinking plenty of water is a must as you don't realise how much you are dehydrating. A member of our family ended up on a drip in hospital because they didn't listen and didn't keep topping up their liquids whilst out in the sun.
We love August in Florida, apart from the storms which seem to occur most days.[msnsmile2]

george
25-02-2004, 04:10
The storms are something else.
Keep cool with an ice cold Bud.....what a great excuse to have a beer!
Yes I know beer dehidrates you....that's why I keep trying to top up the system.
Only joking! (or am I?)[msntongue][}:)]

jpj
25-02-2004, 04:57
We went last August & must have had serious downpours every day. i do remember vividly, the Americans pulling their cars over to the side of the road on more than one occasion, as the rain was so hard. I was driving a 15 seater van, so it wasn't quite so bad, but the roads were getting deep in water. Got to admit that we have been twice now in August, & on both occasions it has rained hard on most days. But the heat & sunshine can be found too !!
I prefer going in April/May time because it is not quite so humid. We are going back again in April 2005 so already looking forward to it.
As others have mentioned, take rain jackets (although even they were soaked once last year, don't be caught in the parks without one. Also make sure you take a spare carrier bag for cameras etc, as the wallets/bags they come in, don't seem to be very waterproof.
Enjoy !!

zerotone
25-02-2004, 22:18
We too went in August last year. All I can say is it is a good job we went for 3 weeks because the rain was horrendous, we found that it was only worth staying in the parks for the morning as when the rain came in the afternoon a lot of the shows and rides were shut for safety reasons. We have been before at this time of year, but never seen as much rain as last year. Usually you get a quick violent shower mid afternoon, lasting for no more than an hour, last year they were nearly every day and started lunchtime and were still going early evening. Also noticed lots of sub divisions were flooded - good time to go house hunting - see the houses at there worst as well as best!

Needless to say we are going April this year.

Jane

chrisj
25-02-2004, 23:32
We had a few thunderstorms that lasted from mid afternoon well into the evening last
July/August

One day we were having an afternoon back at the Villa and WOW even my mum was jumping
out of her skin it was that bad

tuzanne
09-03-2004, 21:04
Yes it is hot but certainly not unbearable. We have always gone in the last week of August and first week in Sept. The american kids go back to school near the end of August and the parks are much quieter. We did not find the weather bad at this time. It can rain for the odd hour but it soon drys up. When we went in May it rained more. However, if I was to choose the best time to go it would be over the October half term. I only had to take the kids out of school for 4 days as they always add a teacher training day on to this holiday. The weather was perfect with no tropical rain. Also Universal is fantastic at Halloween if your kids are old enough to enjoy that sort of thing.

debbie
10-03-2004, 21:53
Hi everyone and thanks for all your answers - you have convinced us, and we have booked flights for 12th-26th August on B.A. Can't wait!
Deb.