PDA

View Full Version : How do I calculate the cost of sending a parcel from Us to UK?

bargainqueen
07-11-2011, 05:06
My niece has recently returned from a trip to Los Angeles/Las Vegas. Whilst there she bought some quilting squares but didn't buy enough to finish what she's making.
She's found them on the Walmart website and they do a free delivery store to store.

Before I go any further I'd like to calculate how much it would cost to send the parcel. I could ask her to weigh one of the "fat quarter bundles" but I'm not sure if she would also have to pay import tax.

I have ordered dvd's from the US and the amount of tax I've had to pay depended on who delivered the package.

I've no idea where to start looking for further information so thought I'd ask here for some help.

Zena

florida4sun
07-11-2011, 07:47
Calculate postage at www.usps.com
Calculate duty at http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk

Some shippers will simply charge what they think the duty should be and its up to you to prove otherwise. If you use a declaration form that should stop any overcharging.

msmiff
07-11-2011, 08:57
Further to Martin's reply: The import duty you pay will depend on the carrier. Some add a steep 'collection fee' to the duty payable !!

bargainqueen
07-11-2011, 09:20
Thanks for the helpful information. I'll pass it on to my niece and let her decide if she wants to go any further.

I've just spoken to a friend who was charged £20 when UPS delivered a bridesmaids dress earlier this year.

We're out in Feb/March so if she can wait til then we'll be able to get them for her. I'll probably have a big list of codes that she'd like now that she's found the website.