PDA

View Full Version : English food

DISNEYDIVA
07-02-2004, 01:38
Has anyone during their shopping trips come across foods such as pork pies, sausage rolls and scotch eggs in Orlando ?
We have never seen any and do miss them when having salads.

chrizzy100
07-02-2004, 02:04
quote:Originally posted by DISNEYDIVA

Has anyone during their shopping trips come across foods such as pork pies, sausage rolls and scotch eggs in Orlando ?
We have never seen any and do miss them when having salads.

I've looked everywhere.....you can get them in Brit shops....but don't bother....they're not that good......make your own sausage rolls and scotch eggs....they're very easy to make.....if I can make them anyone can.....:D

fiona
07-02-2004, 03:04
Chrizzy where do you find sausage meat then? My girls often reach the stage of being desperate for an English sausage! And the next Christmas we are there they want a proper Christmas lunch!!

chrizzy100
07-02-2004, 03:31
quote:Originally posted by fiona

Chrizzy where do you find sausage meat then? My girls often reach the stage of being desperate for an English sausage! And the next Christmas we are there they want a proper Christmas lunch!!

In any supermaket...I'll find the name when I go shopping this weekend...and let you know then you can ask for it by name....if I remember..I'm still trying to get my act together after coming home...[msnsad]..I made sausage rolls at the Villa for an American friend....I'm no cook...but they came out ok..a lot better than the ones you buy in the States anyway.......[msnsmile2]

fiona
07-02-2004, 03:50
Well Publix at Orange Lakes had a notice up saying that they had english pork sausages, but no signs of them during our 2½ weeks at Christmas!

jeffc
07-02-2004, 06:08
try churchills on the 192 next to vista del largo..

they have most things frozen from the uk..

the wife is still trying to find atora suet....

DISNEYDIVA
07-02-2004, 21:30
I can make pastry so the sausage rolls wouldn't be a problem but i wouldn't know where to start with the scotch eggs or pork pie's. If i can get them frozen that would be perfect, i will have to try churchills. Thanks for the advice.

chrizzy100
07-02-2004, 21:50

I can make pastry so the sausage rolls wouldn't be a problem but i wouldn't know where to start with the scotch eggs or pork pie's. If i can get them frozen that would be perfect, i will have to try churchills. Thanks for the advice.

I'll just say...that we've had the same make of pies that Churchills sale....and to be honest...they're not that nice.....and they cost way to much.....
:(

Matt
09-02-2004, 23:11
I remember once when I lived in Boston my Ma came to visit and we wanted some good old spotted dick, and trying to find atora was just a disaster. My friend (American) was trying to work out what it could be. A couple of places we asked for Suet, and they were trying to palm bone marrow on us[xx(][xx(]

Matt

blott
10-02-2004, 03:23
Suet sources revealed! http://www.deliaonline.com/deliaatlife/messageboard/view.asp?postid=5074&topicid=7

firsttimer
10-02-2004, 15:56
Scotch eggs- (I once made them as a child at guide camp I think!).
Hard boil an egg. Peel. Take raw sausage meat and form round egg approx half or quarter inch thick. Try to seal it well or it will fall off. Roll in breadcrumbs. Deep fry till saugage is cooked (or shallow fry turning often.
Goodluck

ps can someone explain the terms in American cooking instructions like "broil" etc

DISNEYDIVA
10-02-2004, 22:26
Hi Firsttimer, thanks for the recipe i think i would get in a right mess attempting them, not sure they would be edible when i'd finished.
I'll be interested in what "broil" means also. [msnwink]

blott
10-02-2004, 22:37
Broil means grill.

DISNEYDIVA
10-02-2004, 22:52
Thanks Blott, you are clearly a modern man. My hubby's domain also.
Iv'e not been trained and it's not on my job description............[msnwink]

firsttimer
11-02-2004, 18:07
Can anyone think of any other cooking terms I might find on frozen or ready meals or packets that are different in America?

blott
11-02-2004, 18:59
Only other really different thing in US cooking is that they use 'cups' to measure with or Imperial and nothing's in metric so you'd better 'bone up' on Imperial before you go if you're young enough only to know metric! [msnwink]

Other than that, it's relatively straight forward and most frozen or ready made meals will usually be microwaveable anyway.

caroline
11-02-2004, 19:33

Thanks Blott, you are clearly a modern man. My hubby's domain also.
Iv'e not been trained and it's not on my job description............[msnwink]

Eeerr no! Blott is very definitely a modern LADY!;)

DISNEYDIVA
11-02-2004, 20:43
[:I]Thanks Caroline, sorry Blott.

blott
11-02-2004, 22:19
No problem! :)