PDA

View Full Version : Baby seats and the like

Bryan
06-02-2004, 14:44
Hi,

about to take our 5 year old and 7 month old on holiday.

from reading the posts on here it seems the best thing to do is take a car seat and buggy for the youngster and a booster seat for the older one.

are the airlines (virgin) happy to take these on the flights as luggage in the hold or do they go as hand luggage?

if they go in the hold how do they count against the luggage allowance allocated?

hope someone can help

bryan.

chrisj
06-02-2004, 15:17
Buggies from memory dont count as part of your luggage, someone else might be able
to confirm this, as for the car seat and booster seat. Ive no idea

steph_goodrum
06-02-2004, 15:18
I've never known anyone be charged for checking in their car seats , if you take a black plastic sack just to protect the and make sure they are well labelled. I would recommend you keep the buggy with you (as long as it's not one of these HUGE ones and then you can use it at the airport whilst you are waiting, they will take it off you as you board and store it with oversize hand luggage so you don't have to wait for the checked luggage before you get your buggy back.

millie
06-02-2004, 23:44
We travelled with a toddler and we were able to keep our buggy with us until we got to the departure gate when the staff took it off us and put it in the hold which was great for when you have to wait at the airport. It was taken off with the baggage and we picked it up from an area next to the baggage collection.

We did not take our car seat and that is something I regret. We were provided one from Dollar (we flew with Virgin) and it was old, uncomfortable and worst of all did not fit. I mentioned this at collection but the guy refused to even touch the seat (insurance!) and we had to make do. I was very unhappy and eventually Dollar changed our car to one with integrated seatbelt for infants (20 months). This was a godsend and allowed me to relax in the car. If I had my time again I would definetly take my own.

Ruth
07-02-2004, 01:57
We always take our own car seats and usually forget the black bag to protect them in the hold[:I]If you are renting a villa you may not need to take a buggy as a lot of villa owners provide one or even more than one. We never take a buggy as it takes up too much room in the boot of the car:D