PDA

View Full Version : CAR WITH NAVIGATION SYSTEM

bond
06-02-2004, 15:44
Hi,
Has anyone rented a car with a navigation system? If so, is it worth the extra money? Some friends of mine rented a car with a portable navigation system and said the difference was unbelievable. The driver said it was the most stress free driving vacation he ever had and was able to enjoy the driving and sights without having to watch for road signs. His wife said it was the only vacation that they never got lost and or argued over watching for signs. They said anything they read or heard about that they wanted to see they just put the address in and the nav system took them directly to it. It had a memory so when you wanted to return to where you were staying you just selected 'Home' and it brought you directly there. It shows a moving map of where you are and a voice gives you clear directions. They said it cost $10 a day and it was the best $10 they ever spent. Thats $70 a week and to me that a bargain when I consider the hassle and stress I have had at times. I'm fine when I travel the same path but to go somewhere new usually ends with getting lost, being stressed with my wife and blaming her for not paying attention and usually wasting hours of good vacation time. I remember the first time in 1998 when we arrived in Orlando. We spent five hours looking for our villa before finally falling asleep in the car. When we stayed at a villa at Lake Berkley I hired a cab to drive in front of me to get me there. I was glad I did because realistically you would not find Lake Berkley with an Indian tracker.
Anyway I have just got to rent this Nav system. If you already have I would be glad to hear your opinion.

Angua
06-02-2004, 16:13
We have used a navigation system in our hire cars for the last few trips to the US and it has been very useful. You are exactly right in your details of how it works and it can be a godsend if you're going off the beaten track. Occasionally, it does get it wrong so it doesn't mean that the Navigator doesn't get shouted at but at least it doesn't take offence and will talk to you for the rest of the day. It soon gets you back on the right track anyway.

I would say that the roads and roadsigns in the States are great and we've only gone for the Navigation option because we've mostly been visiting friends in non-tourist areas of the States. Although, we did have the system when we drove from San Diego to Las Vegas as we didn't want to get lost in the desert!!![msnwink] How that was going to happen, I don't know, as it's one very long straight road. However, it did have it's advantages. Our Grand Marquis had a fault with the passenger side electric window so we went to the Vegas branch of the Hire Company to get it fixed. They couldn't fix it and only had one vehicle to replace it with, having the necessary California plates and Sat/Nav. It was a Lincoln Navigator What a shame!![msnsmile2][msnsmile2] That is one huge SUV, six leather seats, air-conditioned front seats, multi-changer CD Player. I was in heaven!!!!!

The only problem with Navigation is that you are limited as to which hire companies you use because not all companies provide this as an option. We're off to the US soon and this time we're going with Dollar even though they don't have Sat Nav as an option, simply because of the HUGE (and I mean Huge) savings we're going to make in the general hire of the vehicle.

I'll let you know whether it was worth it, when we get back![msneek] As I'm usually the Navigator, I'll be taking a rather large bottle of Kalms with me[msnscared].

chrisj
06-02-2004, 16:16
Sounds a great idea, but the wife would lose her job if I got one :D

chrizzy100
06-02-2004, 20:02
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

Sounds a great idea, but the wife would lose her job if I got one :D

I think you should start paying her the $10 a day......hehehehehe

chrisj
06-02-2004, 20:04
:D:D:D sshhhhhh dont say that too loud

ahagan
14-02-2004, 14:28
We have always used Hertz because of their Navigation system. It is so much easier to drive around relying on the moving map and clear voice giving directions. Even when you take a wrong turn it recalculates and takes you back on the correct route. But as has been pointed out, the difference in cost compared to other car hire firms is big. For our next trip we have decided to go without as Alamo don't have one. I hope I don't regret it.

Adeline

bond
14-02-2004, 20:29
Hi Ahagan,

I thought the cost was something like $10 a day? That does not seem expensive for carefree driving. Or is it that Hertz are more expensive. I rented from Hertz once amd if my memory serves me right I think they were a lot more expensive.

Bigblue33
14-02-2004, 20:51
Does Dollar do the navigation system? As it's my first time Driving and actually being in Florida that sounds quite appealing to me.

Don.

bond
14-02-2004, 21:59
Dollar does not do the navigation system. I almost always use Dollar. I wonder why only Hertz offers the navigation system. Maybe there is not enough demand. Am I the only one that panics when I miss the off ramp for Clearwater. I seem to have this knack of being in the left far lane when I see the exit to where I want to go when I should be in the far right lane. Americans seem to have the ability to switch lanes effortlessly while I play Mr Safe and always miss my exit. I keep thinking if I cut in front of someone I will cause offence, where I come from when you do this they try and cut you off and stop you getting in front of them. I think the Americans are much much more mannerly and tolerant. Anyway I am about to try driving in the US with a portable navigation system and it will be real interesting to see if it is like I have been told.

blott
14-02-2004, 22:19
$140 to rent a navigational system? [msnoo]I find getting about in Florida is really easy. The majority of visitors never drive 'off' the map the car rental companies provide.

If you are likely to go further afield and know which area you're staying in, use Mapquest (it's free!) before you go to get the directions in minute detail for all the places you want to visit. Print them out and take them with you - all your passengers have to do is read them out to you and you know in advance which exit numbers you need so, when the one before yours comes up, just move over to the correct lane in advance.

Alternatively, if your rental home has a PC with internet access, you can use this, although you may not be able to print it out.

Bigblue33
14-02-2004, 22:57
I suppose its because I have never been to Florida before so the Nav thingy sounded great. As Dollar don't do it, I'll just have to get on with it. I will give that mapquest a try though! Sounds just like AutoRoute.

Don.

blott
14-02-2004, 23:17
Don't worry Don, you'll be just fine! You should hopefully get some info from your Crescent Lakes home owner about routes, etc too but if you need any others, just shout.

chrisj
15-02-2004, 01:30
I think half the fun of driving is the odd getting lost, all adds to the fun and when you
take a wrong turn you could find yourself somewhere really nice

kevinprewett
15-02-2004, 13:01
Hi Chris,
totally agree,been driving in Florida since 1979, nver bother with a nav. system ended up in some amazing places by mistake like upper captiva island![msncool]

george
15-02-2004, 13:33
What is the wife for?
After all you take her on holiday, get her out of the kitchen, so the least she can do is read a map!!!
Got to go , the wifes calling.........Yes dear, i'm coming dear...
Perhaps the guidence sysytem is a good idea after all.

LesleyB
15-02-2004, 14:43
I hope Dollar get cars with the navigation system soon - I will gladly pay the difference. I still remember the stoney silence when I managed to direct my other half onto a toll road instead of the exit for Belz. (it was dark!)- he drove 10 miles before we could turn round.[msnembarrased]

Lesley

bond
17-02-2004, 16:22
Ok I'm sold on this portable navigation system. Used it for the first time yesterday. Absolutely incredible, Took me around the general Orlando area and what I noticed most is that some of the routes I had used for years and considered to be the shortest or most direct were not. But Blott is right in what he said about if your are just driving the general tourist areas you dont really need it. But for years I have been picking up tourist magazines here in Orlando advertising Shopping Malls here and there or worse still small individual business's that I knew If I were to find them I was going to put serious effort into it. This Nav system takes care of all that. I had a list of furniture stores that I wanted to see. I put in business address's yesterday and was literally taken to their doors. It was great driving on streets in Orlando that I normally would not venture on or find. Ocoee, Altamonte and lots more were names I had come across on several occasions that had places that I would liked to have seen. Yesterday I drove to these places, stopped en route at any place that took my fancy and it was all effortless and hassle free. We wanted to book a character dinner for our two girls at Disneys Swan hotel just hopped in the car, put in the address and went directly to it. Yes I know I would have found the Swan hotel without a Nav system but its much more fun with my wife and kids to be able to have the extra time spent looking for directions. Yes I do agree it is fun to get lost at times and find new places but there are times it is not fun and it is for those times that this Nav system is perfect. What I liked most about this system is you could leave it turned off and drive wherever you wanted to, get lost and when you had enough of being 'lost' turn it on and go directly to wherever we were wanted to. It is impossible to appreciate these Nav systems until you have actually used one but I for one will get a lot more out of my time in Orlando beacause of it. The extra $10 a day or $140 for a two week holiday in my opinion is money well spent I just wish more car hire companies offered it..

chrisj
17-02-2004, 16:29
Sounds like they are a good idea

The car we had last year had a compass :D, so at least we knew what way we were going. I dont
think we would pay the extra for a system, Rather use the money for something else

george
17-02-2004, 18:00
I agree withh chrisj. A compass is the best thing you can have in the car when following directions that say 'follow this route due south/north etc etc' It can save you many an hour.

bond
17-02-2004, 20:32
Hi Chrisj,
I know exactly what you mean by thinking I would rather use the money on something else. Until I used this system I considered it much the same as renting baby seats. I used to hate payiny the car hire companies $5 a day for more often than not a dirty baby seat. Baby seats are a rip off but necesssary. Seat rental for two weeks will cost $70 and you can buy a real good seat for $70 at Walmart. It is much like Front Of The Line Access Tickets, I think it cost $20 more per ticket to allow us to basically skip to to front of queues. For six people that works out at $120 for a park trip for a DAY!. The first time friends suggested it I thought they were mad, so I queued in the HOT HOT sun for hours...next time I tried it. Again it is a lot of money but we dont do the parks a lot so I pay it begrudingly when we do. But then I realized that nothing to do with having a good time is reasonable in Orlando, that all these 'extras' are part of it. So I suppose like everyone I have my 'list' of what I will and wont spend money on. The Nav system is the only 'extra' I have paid that felt like a good deal and would be happy to do it again. That I suppose is what its all about if anything makes your time here better and you enjoy it..its got to be right.

chrisj
17-02-2004, 20:45
Thats true Bond,

I remember when the queues in the parks at their worse were only 10 minutes, I also remember
before they introduced those barriers where you go back and forth but get hardly any nearer

I wouldnt mind trying a nav system, just to see what its like.

NickClark
02-03-2004, 22:30
I purchased a portable satalite navigation system last year. It is hand held and will work anywhere in Europe or USA. Ok it cost aprox £450.00 but I use it for all long journeys in the UK as well as several times a year when I am on holiday in US, Vegas,San Francisco, LA and mostly Florida. I personally could not do without it. It literally delivers you to the door (completely stress free) It even works if you are on foot exploring a new City etc.

caseyd
03-03-2004, 00:20
NickClark, that sounds wonderful, I am going to look into one.

I just got a new Acura car last weekend w/a nav system. My husband wanted it, I was not really keen on getting it. But then on Saturday I was about 30 miles from my house finishing up at my daughter's basketball game in a totally unfamiliar area, when I really needed a cup of good coffee. I got in the car, pushed "restaurants" on the nav sustem, entered "STARBUCKS" on the keypad, and it started talking to me telling me how to get to the nearest Starbucks three miles away. Took me right to the front door of the place. That was it, I was sold.

melvazquez
09-01-2005, 21:44
Was just wondering if anybody knows if Dollar now do cars with Sat Nav ?[msneek]

Mel

NickClark
11-01-2005, 01:39
Yes they do. If you mention it when booking via the above link (Florida car hire) the savings that you make will probably pay for the sat nav hire.

melvazquez
11-01-2005, 13:30
Thanks Nick

Unfortunately already booked the car hire with Florida car Hire so will ask when we get there.

Mel

Nostromo
11-01-2005, 15:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by melvazquez
Thanks Nick

Unfortunately already booked the car hire with Florida car Hire so will ask when we get there.

Mel
[/quote]

You might still be able to 'upgrade' to the same class of car,but with Sat Nav in place. Worth a try.

Corky
11-01-2005, 16:44
I have just returned from Orlando where I used my personal satellite navigation system (Tom Tom Go) loaded with US maps. It works like a dream:( I have been going to Orlando for many years, and despite my knowledge of the area have always succeed in getting lost at least once. This never happened this time and driving was entirely strees free, rather than the usual "what exit number is it?!" arguments with my co-pilot!I will never again leave home without it.[msnwink]

luckylady
25-02-2005, 21:30
We have Tom tom Go navigation here in UK
we just bought a USA map memory card over here before we went and fitted it into our hire car when we where there at Christmas it was great Tom tom Go are a Americam Company and when we bought about 9 months ago in the UK in the box was plug ins for Europe UK and USA
We had less disaggreements when we were driving thats for sure
Also saves loads of time
Barbara

bellaepovera
26-02-2005, 01:40
Also saves the yelling and screaming between wife and husband during trips[msnmad] We also have one in our car, and they are useful when going out of the area..They do tend to take the long way but for those who do not know the area this is a perfect thing to use. I think map quest and these use the same routes anyway but then using the navigation machine you dont have to worry about looking at a piece of paper especially if you are alone and this way avoiding getting in an accident. Remember never to try to adjust the settings while you are driving.

Katys Grandad
26-02-2005, 02:52
I think that in not many years time SatNav will be a standard feature on cars just like radios and CD players. In 20 years time people will wonder how drivers managed before its invention. I have had it as an option on my last 2 cars here. I don't use it every day but it really pays off on the occasions I need it.

I will be touring Virginia in a couple of weeks and tried to get it from Hertz but it seems they don't have it at all their locations.