PDA

View Full Version : Size of car

brizzle
05-02-2004, 23:54
OK, last Dec we hired a Full Size car and ended up with a top of the range Dodge Intrepid which for 2 adults and 2 small children was more than ample (although we did have a lot less spare space returning it than when we picked it up :))

Thing is we are taking my Mother this year.
Do I stick with the full size car as I think we may just get all our luggage in and my mum would fit fine between the little 'uns or go for a people carrier?

Looking at the 7 seater (would be a Dodge Caravan I think) the luggage space seems to be smaller than the capacity we had with the Intrepid.
Other option is to go for an 8 seater.

Anyone got any ideas for 3 adults and 2 small children?

Thanks people,

Brizzle

dbrook
06-02-2004, 00:53
Hi Brizzle,

I think you would all fit in OK in the full size providing you don't take too much luggage, or more importantly do too much shopping whilst on vacation:D:D

However, I would go for the 7-seater as it's so nice to have the extra space and we find there is plenty of room for luggage and of course you have spare seats. There was also room for a suitcase in the middle. We are 2 adults and 3 teenagers and I know we would fit into the full size, we just love the people carrier and the flexibility it gives us.

chrisj
06-02-2004, 00:54
We go for a 7 seater and we are 3 adults and 2 kids, With the luggage from the airport its
a bit tight, but from then on the rooms great

So we have gone for a 7 seater again.

chrissb
06-02-2004, 01:28
Hi Brizzle

How old are the children? If one or both of them need child seats then I would definitely go for the 7 seater as I don't think your mother would enjoy being squashed between the child seats. I would have thought that there was more than enough space for luggage with 2 free seats, room in the middle for 1 suitcase as well as the luggage area.

tinkerbell
06-02-2004, 13:59
I always prefer the 7 seater in orlando as you sit higher up and have a better view for those long drives!

chrisj
06-02-2004, 14:01
I love the 7 seater for the same reason, I feel safer sitting up higher. You can see whats
happening further ahead. Also, with the extra room the little darlins can sit apart when
they are tired and leave me and the wife to drive and get lost and argue about directions :D:D

tinkerbell
06-02-2004, 14:05
It can also be useful to have a large distance between the driver and front passenger for the above reason!

chrisj
06-02-2004, 14:18
That helps with us, my main problem is im used to Left and Right and if you ask directions
its always south east north or south :D that always gets me

its always funny in our car, but then were on holiday and hey its all part of the experience.

caroline
06-02-2004, 15:48
How about a 4x4? Nice big boot/trunk and the back seat is a good size - we had one for 4 adults and 1 child and it was great - I really like sitting up high:)

kevinprewett
06-02-2004, 16:38
I'm with Caroline
We always rent a 4x4 had great deals last summer - and I feel there could well be similar ones coming out soon with companys like alamo.
Great to drive,safeluggage, space,height etc[msnsmile2]

brizzle
06-02-2004, 20:52
I think the 7 seater is the one I'll go for.
I was looking at that but was worried about getting less space for luggage. The children will be 5 and 2 so they will not take up much space with their luggage.

I think my doubts are sorted, thanks to everyones advice. The 4x4 would be a good option but I think I'll go with the 7 seater unless you 4x4ers can convince me otherwise :D

Thanks again all,

Brizzle

fiona
06-02-2004, 22:48
You could always try a premium or luxury, you get enough trunk space for 5 and can comfortably sit 3 in the back seat - we have done it with 3 teenagers as well as a granny and 2 teenagers. We have had a 4x4 and I think we must have had a duff one, because it had alot of wind impact and was very difficult to drive on the highways because of that. Also v uncomfortable in the back. I had asked and asked to have a 4x4 because I have one here, so I was really disappointed! We now stick to a luxury - except next year we will have 3 possibly 4 teenagers - oh heck!

jeffc
07-02-2004, 03:55
on the cost side a 7 seater mini van is normally cheaper than a 4*4..

just a thought...

cost it out try www.airlinenetwork.co.uk

kevinprewett
07-02-2004, 12:52
Not always the case-try:www.bnm.com (breezenet) for the perid 24/11/04-8/12/04 alamo offer a chevy blazer 4x4 @$475 about $20 cheaper than a van.[msnwink]

blott
07-02-2004, 16:34
Kevin, the website you posted does not include any insurance or taxes, etc so will look cheaper but end up much dearer!

caroline
07-02-2004, 17:13
Usually a 7 seater or 4x4 is in the same price bracket along with luxury and convertibles!

Nostromo
07-02-2004, 17:36
quote:
Looking at the 7 seater (would be a Dodge Caravan I think) the luggage space seems to be smaller than the capacity we had with the Intrepid.
Other option is to go for an 8 seater.

Anyone got any ideas for 3 adults and 2 small children?

Thanks people,

Brizzle

A 7-seater like the Dodge Grand Caravan has definitely less luggage space for its size. If you want to do lots of shopping, it is not suitable. For only $25 or so more per week you can get a Chevy Astravan 8-seater with loads of luggage space.

kevinprewett
07-02-2004, 19:09
quote:Originally posted by blott

Kevin, the website you posted does not include any insurance or taxes, etc so will look cheaper but end up much dearer!

Blott,
just gave it as an example to show that 4x4s are not always more expensive than vans. The base rate quoted on that site is $20 cheaper for the 4x4![msnwink]

Nostromo
08-02-2004, 11:17
The question is, how much inconvenience would you put up with just to save $20 or $25? We are going as a party of 7 and having driven a Dodge Grand Caravan before, I know that it simply would NOT hold our luggage. The last time, we there were only 5 of us and even with the shopping kept on the 2 empty seats, it was a tight squeeze in the boot. Although I have never driven one, the Chevy Astravan 8-seater at only $23 a week more seems a far more convenient option.

kevinprewett
08-02-2004, 11:36
I was responding to brizzle who was asking about 2 adults & 2 small children.[msncool]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-02-2004, 12:09
or try www.uscarhire.co.uk for better prices [msnsmile]

quote:Originally posted by jeffc

on the cost side a 7 seater mini van is normally cheaper than a 4*4..

just a thought...

cost it out try www.airlinenetwork.co.uk

brizzle
08-02-2004, 13:33
I think the 7 seater will be ample space for us.
With 3 adults and 2 small children we will probably have 2 big cases (3 on our return), a couple of small cases for the rugrats. Add a couple of carry-on bags and a stroller then were sorted.
Last year we took a shared case between the wife and I and bought another to fill whilst there. The same plan of action will be in place this year.
The only added ingredient this time will be my Mum and her luggage so I think the 7 seater should suffice.

As I see it we will be OK from the airport because we will have minimal luggage (and 2 spare seats) and going back to the airport we have the option of Dowtown Disney Check-in with Virgin (I think) so we should only be cramped for a very short time.

Some good ideas and websites to choose from, thanks again for all the advice. After all considerations I think it is between the 7 and 8 seater with the 7 seater just edging it at the moment. I will miss the sporty Interpid they gave me in Dec though [8D]. Too damn tempting to welly it down the relatively empty I4 sometimes.

Brizzle

allyneil
08-02-2004, 20:59
Last year we asked for a 4x4 with Alamo and found a choice of several different sized Chevy Blazers - they are not all big so be careful. We managed to get one of the biggest but it was only just big enough for the five of us. (It was also in a terrible state, it put us right off Alamo)

Before we took a Dodge Durango from Dollar, which had 7 seats and we folded the rear two down for the run from / to the airport. So great for five with luggage and even better for five on a long trip -the kids had so much space (and its a GREAT car). Generally we found the Dodge Caravan type a bit small for the luggage.

Neil

PS we have always rented thru 1stforOlando who have been great.

Nigel W
08-02-2004, 21:04
Dodge Caravan has ample room we have 3 adults and 2 children who both have child seats a pram and a travel cot, plus all the lugguage and of course the golf clubs and we manage fine with just that.

chrisj
09-02-2004, 02:01
actually off topic, ive hired a Harley for a weekend while we are there :):):):)

Wooohoooo cant wait

brizzle
09-02-2004, 02:04
Definitely not sure we'd get all the luggage on a Harley...[msntongue]

Brizzle

chrisj
09-02-2004, 02:16
no but what fun you can have :):)

blott
09-02-2004, 02:32
You're never going to get all the family on it, that's for sure... :D

chrisj