PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

Lyn
26-08-2011, 15:40
Now that we travel for longer periods, and are getting older, can anyone offer ideas for the best insurance.

wrpac00
26-08-2011, 23:03
We use Flexicover, they cover upto 100 days on any one trip (we are staying 97 days this year). I haven't found one yet that insures longer than this.

No Shoes
27-08-2011, 09:28
Hi.

We use Insure and Go. You are covered for up to 90 days per trip and as many trips as you like in one year.

We are both 55 (hubbie has high blood pressure) and the premium was £115 per annum

I have also looked at policies that cover you for between 90 and 180 days but cannot remember which company I found but the premium was still less than £200 per annum. I will see if I can find it.

Lyn
27-08-2011, 10:14
Hi.

We use Insure and Go. You are covered for up to 90 days per trip and as many trips as you like in one year.

We are both 55 (hubbie has high blood pressure) and the premium was £115 per annum

I have also looked at policies that cover you for between 90 and 180 days but cannot remember which company I found but the premium was still less than £200 per annum. I will see if I can find it.

Thanks for that will look into them, as we use the Visa Waiver we would not be there for more than 90 days. However hubbie is now 66 so most people seem to think he is past is sell by date. No trouble up to 64 but as soon as hit 65 most people don't want to know, even though we have far more health checks now, blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

No Shoes
27-08-2011, 10:18
Back again!

The company I found for long stay insurance is www.travelinsurance.co.uk (hope posting the link on here is OK) I entered our details and got a quote for their Gold cover of £198 for a 180 day trip.

Friends who stay for 6 months at a time recommended 'Visitor' medical insurance which they find is cheaper for them. They are in their 60's. Obviously that doesnt cover any travel related problems you may have.

LiesaAnna
27-08-2011, 10:20
bought ours with Saga... not cheap but covers Steves diabetes/high blood pressure and for me...

Newhomebuyer
27-08-2011, 13:15
We use travel insurance that comes with bank account. It had an £85 premium this year. Hubbie has now turned 65 and has diabetes. That covers us for up to 90 days.
We have never tried for longer as we too go on visa waiver.
We have looked at others but as we already pay the bulk of this for our account anyway this seems like a great deal to us.
I have heard that 70 is the big problem and certaily all our friends who have turned 70 are having to fork out large amounts if going to the States or Canada.

Andrena
27-08-2011, 20:30
If your bank is Lloyds then they cover up to 80 years, and you just pay the extra for the extra time over and above the usual 31 days that you need.

Andrena

No Shoes
28-08-2011, 09:31
If your bank is Lloyds then they cover up to 80 years, and you just pay the extra for the extra time over and above the usual 31 days that you need.

Andrena

My husband banks with Lloyds and last time we tried to do this for the US it was more expensive than taking out a new annual policy. If you only wanted Europe it was fine.

I would be interested to hear if your experience is different

jimiansville
28-08-2011, 10:37
Our annual policy is with Columbus Direct. We are both in our 50s and have a couple of medical conditions declared including my high blood pressure. The premium is £190.00 and covers the two of us for maximum stays of 60 days.

As medical costs are so high in the US it is very important to read the small print of any policy to ensure you have adequate cover. I ended up in hospital at the end of our 7 week stay last winter with a suspected gall bladder problem. The hospital bill for the 4 days I spent there as a patient was almost $30,000! Thankfully this was covered by the policy.

Mo Green
28-08-2011, 12:03
Back again!

The company I found for long stay insurance is www.travelinsurance.co.uk (hope posting the link on here is OK) I entered our details and got a quote for their Gold cover of £198 for a 180 day trip.

They will only insure for 31 days if you are over 65.

09-09-2011, 14:41
Has anyone with a Nationwide FlexAccount Travel Cover, upgraded it to cover them for a USA trip? I just phoned them for a quote to upgrade from the standard (free) European cover, and it's only £20 for 12 months.

It sounds too good to be true, I'm going to read the policy document carefully, but wondered if anyone had done this and was happy with the cover.

UPDATE: I have now checked the policy document, the key elements being that I would be covered for up to £10 million for emergency medical treatment, and up to £2 million for personal liability. Which I think is probably OK.

No Shoes
24-07-2014, 11:15
Its nearly 3 years since we started this thread and I am looking again to buy insurance for a 5 month trip.

Does anyone have any new information to add to the above?

Thank you

Jill
24-07-2014, 19:24
Sorry do not have anya help with your 5 month trip but we did have to make a claim on Nationwide Flex travel insurance which we had upgraded to rest of the world. We had to make a claim in New Zealand which involved additional hotels, change off lights and taxis - they covered all our costs and we were very pleased with the help we received from them.