PDA

View Full Version : Paying taxes in Florida?

lonerj
05-02-2004, 04:59
Hello, I don't know if this belongs here so I'll post on some other sections as well.

I am moving to Florida permanently and I am going to lease a place for around 12 months or more.

If I make about $30,000 a year about how many of that would be taken away from income taxes or any kind of taxes if I live in Florida?

I appreciate all the help I can get,

James

blott
05-02-2004, 05:01
Hi lonerj

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question but I've moved your topic to a better place where it will get seen by someone who does know the answer for you.

mm69340
05-02-2004, 06:46
Hi James- It will depend on how many peoplea rei nyour family that are dependents....if you just want a rough idea = I would say you would bring home about 75% of that after taxes

This takes into account all taxes- federal and state social security and medicare plus Medical benefits

pigeon
05-02-2004, 17:19
Hi James
There is no personal income tax in Florida.

You might find this link useful [website link edited]

All the best with the move.

chloanne
01-09-2004, 19:57
Hi
I understand from various messages that utility bills are high - can anyone provide the average monthly/annual payment for a three bedroom house please.

Guidance on average (modest) cost of living for family of 3 with 1 car would be very helpful indeed e.g. the equivalent of UK community charge, medium saloon car insurance for 2 drivers etc. Average quoted for several new homes tax is between $1000 to $1100 which appears very low.

From the city council & FL revenue dept websites, I have found reference to a wide range of taxes e.g. for utilities - water, sewer, garbage, stormwater, which may be paid separately to the basic community charge as water charges are here in UK. Then I add gas and electricty.......

Many thanks
Chloanne

chrizzy100
01-09-2004, 20:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chloanne

Hi
I understand from various messages that utility bills are high - can anyone provide the average monthly/annual payment for a three bedroom house please.

Guidance on average (modest) cost of living for family of 3 with 1 car would be very helpful indeed e.g. the equivalent of UK community charge, medium saloon car insurance for 2 drivers etc. Average quoted for several new homes tax is between $1000 to $1100 which appears very low.

From the city council & FL revenue dept websites, I have found reference to a wide range of taxes e.g. for utilities - water, sewer, garbage, stormwater, which may be paid separately to the basic community charge as water charges are here in UK. Then I add gas and electricty.......

Many thanks
Chloanne
[/quote]

A quote of $1000 a year is very low....and may not take into acount all the extras...like schools....etc......my tax bill is $1100 but with all the add ons its more like $2300...

utility bills are high....but that also depends on where you live......and what you have in the home....like a pool etc.....
I find the bills in FL...a lot less then my ones in MA.....
I put away $500 a month for my bills....in FL I could get away with a bit less....thats water...electricty....gas.......cable TV and internet....phone.....
I hear car Ins is high in FL.....but someone who lives there full time would be of more help to you there.....

flyrr100
01-11-2004, 19:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pigeon
Hi James
There is no personal income tax in Florida.

You might find this link useful [website link edited]

All the best with the move.
[/quote]

There is no state tax here in Florida. But there is Federal income tax, property tax, vehicle tax, sales tax, some cities have city tax, some counties have county tax. Then there's social security and medicaid. You'll have to have medical insurance. Car insurance tends to be expensive compared with the rest of the country. And of course your property insurance is high. We get some inclement weather now and then!
I live in Seminole County. We usually pay around 30% of our income on taxes.

Good luck. The American dream really is out there! You just gotta look for it!