PDA

View Full Version : Travel sickness pills

firsttimer
04-02-2004, 19:44
Just a thought- am I the only one who has to take travel sickness pills to be able to get through a visit to a theme park? Even with the 'virtual' rides I need them! And hubby was sea sick for the first time in his life on Magic Mountain Paris!

firsttimer
04-02-2004, 19:54
p.s. we have a 10 year old son who has ambitoins of going on "everything", so one of us has to accompany him.[xx(] [+o(]

Nostromo
04-02-2004, 20:00
I have mentioned this on these forums before. For Travel and Motion sickness, AVOMINE, which is available over the counter in the UK, works well. Very good for the rides too, but just don't tell the pharmacist the real reason! (they tend to be rather stuffy & regimental) Make sure that you take 1 tablet 3 times a day MAX. Trust me, I am a doctor!

firsttimer
05-02-2004, 15:04
I normally take stugeron and have joyrides for my son if he needs them- how is avomine different?

Nostromo
05-02-2004, 16:31
Stugeron is Cinnarizine...a touch too strong for the purpose you mention and i would not recommend it. Anyway, it is no longer available over the pharmacy counter without a prescription. Avomine is Promethazine (or phenergan) and is safer and still available without a presciption. A packet of 10 tablets, good for over 3 days, costs £1.99 or so. But you must never take them more than once in 8 hours and avoid altogether if you're going to drink more than a pint of lager in those 8 hours.

allyneil
10-02-2004, 00:42
No, your not the only one, last time I tried one it was 10 minutes before I could walk straight! [msnscared]

Luckily the children are now old enough to go on their own[msnsmile]

Neil

orlandobabe
14-02-2004, 22:28
Nelson's homeopathic range do a travel sickness pill-that should be safer.

firsttimer
02-03-2004, 14:30
Thanks everyone.

Hi Nostromo,
I spoke to my local pharmacist today and she says she finds Stugeron very good, but you have to take it 2 hours before. She says it is still available over the counter (in England). (I know Marzine became unavailable years ago but that was cyclizine)
She said she's never been asked for Avomine and had to look it up to see if it is available.

Orlandobabe, have you tried the homeopathic ones? I have to say I would be very sceptical of them working.....but if any fellow suffers have found they work I might be persuaded.

Nostromo
02-03-2004, 15:32
Stugeron is excellent for motion sickness, but I would consider it a bit strong for 'joyriding' if you know what I mean. Also, I would strongly advice against any alcohol 8 hours on either side of the tablet. That might spoil your evening after the 'park & ride'!