PDA

View Full Version : Luggage allowance

Nostromo
04-02-2004, 18:52
Have there ben any changes to the luggage allowance for flights to the USA? My wife intends to to a bit of (which I translate to a LOT of) shopping during our Orlando trip and so we will be carrying an extra suitcase or two. I have assumed that Each adult will be allowed to check-in TWO suitcases where neither is larger than 32' and neither wieghs over 25Kg (or somewhere close) on its own. Is that right?

Angua
04-02-2004, 18:56
I think that each airline is slightly different, Nostromo. Who are you flying with?

Kind regards
Sarah.[8D]

tinkerbell
04-02-2004, 18:57
It depends upon your airline. We flew with Virgin, and were allowed 2 bags per person with no weight limit, and we also were given a 'free' bag! [msnembarrased] We also did a LOT of shopping, just not sure what happened to it all now we're home!

Nostromo
04-02-2004, 19:11
We are flying with Virgin too and I guess I have my answer. Thanks people.

kevinprewett
04-02-2004, 19:22
quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

Have there ben any changes to the luggage allowance for flights to the USA? My wife intends to to a bit of (which I translate to a LOT of) shopping during our Orlando trip and so we will be carrying an extra suitcase or two. I have assumed that Each adult will be allowed to check-in TWO suitcases where neither is larger than 32" and neither wieghs over 25Kg (or somewhere close) on its own. Is that right?

Hi,
I agree you shouldn't have any probs. with Virgin
[msnwink]

wilfy
04-02-2004, 20:07
we've found the uk end of the us carriers a bit more critical with weight of our luggage. The US end we've never had any problems even though we were 20kg over once!. :) I cannot vouch for the charter airlines as we've never flew with them over the pond.

kevinprewett
04-02-2004, 20:33
quote:Originally posted by wilfy

we've found the uk end of the us carriers a bit more critical with weight of our luggage. The US end we've never had any problems even though we were 20kg over once!. :) I cannot vouch for the charter airlines as we've never flew with them over the pond.

Ive used AA & Delta regularly but as you state the problem lies with their 'handlers' at this end not the US gateways. I've never had aproblem with baggage at Miami,chicago,new york or atlanta - noy so LHR
[msntongue]

Funshine
04-02-2004, 20:54
If I recall luggage allowance with Virgin is 40kg per person and thats a lot of shopping [msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
04-02-2004, 21:33
Virgin is 2 pieces per person no more than 32kg per piece so you get 64kg. Don't make the mistake our friends did and think it will be easier to use 1 large suitcase and a smaller one, but the large one was over the limit and it cost them $118 to bring it back, when I said why didn't you go and buy a new holdall to which they said we didn't think.
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/baggage_allowance.view.do

LesleyB
04-02-2004, 22:12
Be careful with last minute bargain charter flights - they tend to bring the allowance down from 20kg to 15kg per person and they do check and charge for any excess weight.

Lesley

Nostromo
04-02-2004, 22:29
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

Virgin is 2 pieces per person no more than 32kg per piece so you get 64kg. Don't make the mistake our friends did and think it will be easier to use 1 large suitcase and a smaller one, but the large one was over the limit and it cost them $118 to bring it back, when I said why didn't you go and buy a new holdall to which they said we didn't think.
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/baggage_allowance.view.do

Thanks for the very useful info and link. In fact, we were considering taking two of our VERY LARGE suitcases, but will now take four medium sized ones instead (between the 2 of us).

Funshine
04-02-2004, 23:40
64kg - wow how much shopping is that - hope you're taking comfortable shoes!

steph_goodrum
05-02-2004, 00:06
Pre villa days we used to take 2 empty suitcases inside 2 larger ones for our daughter and my shopping (well plus hubbies steel toe capped trainers, of which we have to buy at least a couple of pairs each time), for the return trip, now with the villa its usually 2 cases of bits and pieces for the villa leaving us some empty space for our bargains.

firsttimer
05-02-2004, 15:07
We are flying with airtours and have been told our limit is 25kg per person...but I will check the tickets.

steph_goodrum
05-02-2004, 16:29
"We are flying with airtours and have been told our limit is 25kg per person...but I will check the tickets"

That sounds about right for Charters they seem to be between 15 and 25kg from what we've seen.

wilfy
05-02-2004, 20:44
quote:Originally posted by Funshine

64kg - wow how much shopping is that - hope you're taking comfortable shoes!

When Sarah is in "retail mode" 64 kg would be a drop in a very large ocean.:D. My excuse is that most of MY shopping does not run on 240 volts.:D:D, or that a chevy 300cu/5.8litre v8 does not quite fit into a large suitase.:(

steph_goodrum
05-02-2004, 20:57
Wilf
Wish my hubbies didn't, as well as a supply of steel toe cap trainers we usually have various assorted 110v tools as that is what they use on site, this time he is looking at a large 4 piece 18v cordless set, I'm lucky to be able to squeeze a sarong into the space that's left. Mind you I do find room for some craft bits and pieces usually.

SG
05-02-2004, 21:40
Hi Steph

Are there any particular craft shops you have found to be good? I managed to fill my suitcase with goodies from Michaels and some bits from Walmart last time we were there!

Shirley

steph_goodrum
05-02-2004, 22:35
Hi Shirley
We always go to the 3 Walmarts as they often have different bits in, Michaels is another favourite and Jo-Anns fabrics on the 192, Stamp your Art Out on OBT is great for Rubber Stamps and we discovered a new shop called S-c-r-a-pbook USA up near the Home Depot in Clermont on the 27. My daughter has just got into s-c-r-a-pbooking and they have a much better and cheaper selection than we've found here. We both like to browse anywhere they have craft bits and get new supplies and ideas.
My holdall last time was spot on 32KG as I bought a Sizzix machine from ebay and brought it back ( I hadn't realised quite how heavy it was going to be (my bag had been inspected when we got it back so I'm sure they must have wondered what the weight was.:D

steph_goodrum
05-02-2004, 22:45
A couple of websites if you want to check out before you go
www.joann.com
and
www.michaels.com

SG
06-02-2004, 12:18
Thanks Steph

I'll make a note of the details for my next trip. What a pity they don't have an A.C. Moore's in Orlando as I have often enjoyed wandering around their stores in other parts of the States. It is so easy to come back with a suitcase full of craft items when you see those prices [msncry]

Shirley

bairn
06-02-2004, 15:36
Just a warning to everyone, we flew with Virgin in January and they are now very strict on the 32KG max per case (something to do with health and safety). They were actually weighing the luggage as you entered the queue, if your luggage was over you were told to buy another bag or reduce the weight as they would not accept the bag otherwise. BA from Glasgow to Gatwick were exactly the same. Don't know if all airlines have this policy, probably best to check before you go.

Angua
06-02-2004, 15:42
quote:Originally posted by bairn

Just a warning to everyone, we flew with Virgin in January and they are now very strict on the 32KG max per case (something to do with health and safety). They were actually weighing the luggage as you entered the queue, if your luggage was over you were told to buy another bag or reduce the weight as they would not accept the bag otherwise. BA from Glasgow to Gatwick were exactly the same. Don't know if all airlines have this policy, probably best to check before you go.
Top Tip, Bairn! Thanks for the heads-up.

Anyone else suffered a crushed toe while balancing a suitcase on the bathroom scales!!!!????!!! I fear this type of injury may be more prevelant in the near future.[msnwink]

steph_goodrum
06-02-2004, 15:49
It amused me before when they used to say it was to do with health and safety of their workers, when by paying the excess baggage charge they still accepted it.....paying money never actually made it weigh less.

disney dreamin
08-02-2004, 00:11
We always fly Virgin because I get staff discounts and they can be strict on the weight.

We were out in Orlando two weeks ago and they have started to do their off site check in again. It costs $5 per person and you can check in your luggage at Downtown Disney (outside Cirque du Soleil), get your boarding pass and then you don't need to arrive at the airport until about 1.5 hours before your flight (unless your MRS has shopping to do at the airport too!) I think this check in is open between 9am and 12pm (they did tell us on the flight out) and the big advantage is they did not have any scales there to weigh your bags.

Reading your posts I think I would like to go on holiday with your wife - she does my kind of holiday!!!!

Lyn
17-03-2004, 02:32
My husband has 2 american cars so we always have to buy spark plugs, oil & air filters etc. One year we even bought a brake disk rotor(very heavy) and a pair of gas struts for the tailgate?

I bring back things like towels, sheets, cross stitch (not so heavy)

Lyn