PDA

View Full Version : Alamo Mid-Size SUV/4x4

JulieW
26-06-2011, 20:46
Hi,

In October 2009 we booked a mid-size SUV. We got a Toyota FJ Cruiser in Yellow! Lots of space for us - 2 adults, 2 suitcases, 2 sets of golf clubs and hand luggage. We weren't officially told that we were given an upgrade to a full-size SUV but always thought that was the case.

MTP
27-06-2011, 00:47
Did you like the FJ Cruiser?

Personally the look of them has never appealed, despite liking Toyota's other SUVs.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-06-2011, 08:21
I'd absolutely love an FJ Cruiser. Fab looking car that I've always wanted to try.

JulieW
27-06-2011, 12:03
Just realised I said October 2009 but it was actually 2008!

MTP - Yeah, after we got over the initial shock of having a big yellow car, it was quite funky! No problem spotting it in the car park either! I only drove it a couple of times and liked it. I wouldn't mind getting another one.

Bazamor
05-07-2011, 09:18
I wonder if this new Ford Kuga may drop into this category soon?

Tony G
18-10-2013, 19:15
I hired an intermediate SUV (from Avis - Boo hiss) on my most recent trip and that was a Ford Escape which is a rebadged Ford Kuga.

Not a bad car, to be honest. It was nice that I chanced into a pretty well-specced one, so it had leather and 4x4. The back seats did not look comfortable though - very vertical with very little padding.

ujpest doza
01-11-2013, 18:50
I hired a Mid Size SUV via this site for the past fortnite and had a very nice Dodge Journey.
Massive Boot if you don't use the 2 back seats and just use as a 5 seater not a 7 but even if you the boot has a compartment you can lift up to store more stuff in.

Philomena
02-11-2013, 18:55
My daughter has just got back from three weeks in Florida, hired a mid-size SUV direct from the Alamo.co.uk website and has just noticed a charge has appeared on her credit card for an extra £61+. She has looked up the code on the Alamo website and it says it is a foreign currency fee!! She booked and paid in advance in ££'s from the UK site - she has emailed them and awaits a reply.

There is no mention of any fees on their website of any of the paperwork she has - just another little trick to milk the tourists???? So annoying as she now has to chase them for a refund. It is the first time she has booked with Alamo, and you won't be surprised to hear it will be the last!! Back to Dollar for us.

vickk
02-11-2013, 19:19
I have booked many times with Alamo but always through this site and have never had a problem

wilfy
03-11-2013, 18:32
Is the 61 quid not the final bill that they hand out when you return the car? If you return empty , it will be the charge for the fuel, airport taxes etc etc

Philomena
03-11-2013, 22:25
Is the 61 quid not the final bill that they hand out when you return the car? If you return empty , it will be the charge for the fuel, airport taxes etc etc

She prepaid all the taxes, fuel, extra drivers when she booked the car so if that is what the £61 is or they have charged her twice!!

She will be chasing it up tomorrow - she has already been passed from one department to another.

Anthony Brook
18-11-2013, 19:46
We just booked a 15 seat minivan with Alamo and was disgusted with extra charges of over $76 as we had the vehicle for 1hr 45 minutes longer than the 7 days. This only came about as we took the early flight out of Manchester and the late one back with Virgin and had an unforeseen delay en-route to the airport. Do they give rebates when the vehicles are brought back early....no and in over 30 visits in the past 10 years I have had the car back early 95% of the time. On one other occasion with Dollar when I had to visit someone in hospital in Orlando and was about 2 hours late back with the car I never had a single cent extra charges.

I won't be using Alamo any time soon either.

Anthony Brook
20-11-2013, 19:15
Just checked the paperwork and they charged us $87.58 for 1hr 50 minutes

Philomena
21-11-2013, 00:28
Ridiculous amount of extra charges Anthony - probably worked out more then the daily rate.
I expect they rely on the tour ops bringing them in loads of mugs - sorry, customers - so they do not care if they loose a few regular customers.

Hope you had a great time on SD though and played plenty of golf!