PDA

View Full Version : Universal Express Option

Father
16-06-2011, 21:07
Charging an extra $49.99 today for this. $69.99 for the 'Express Plus' option. Plus tax.

freddiehollie
17-06-2011, 07:13
Makes you feel like you have had your pocket picked[:(!] Its a complete rip off. Charge you to get in then charge you again to get on the rides.

What really annoys me, is they open the rides at different times, so build ques up quickly on those[:(!] then slowly open others up.

Last time there we complained to one of the attendants (who was doing a survey) & she told us, "its one of the most complained about things in the parks"

Therefore the question is. If your going to do a survey (with the aim of improving services) why don't they listen to the customers?? or are they not bothered as long while people pay it?

We are fortunate in that we go 2/3 times a year, so can walk past que's & do it the next visit. I feel sorry for the family of 5/6 who have saved for the "Holiday of a lifetime" to then be asked for another $300/$420 plus tax for the day[V]

Jill
17-06-2011, 07:45
Therefore the question is. If your going to do a survey (with the aim of improving services) why don't they listen to the customers?? or are they not bothered as long while people pay it?

My guess is so long as people pay they are not bothered so discount those answers on the survery - Universal is owned by Merlin who are owned by Blackstone who are only interested in how much profit they can make

lynnroy
17-06-2011, 09:13
Yeah its a complete rip off- if the parks are busy you've no chance of getting on rides without a very long wait unless you buy it. We bought them at IOA this year but Universal was quiet enough that we managed without it.

allyjack
17-06-2011, 09:24
Sometimes cheaper to stay a night at one of the onsite hotels and then you get 2 days express pass. Did it last year and it was treat as well though couldn't go back to a hotel room from a villa full time.

clairemca
17-06-2011, 12:47
Charging an extra $49.99 today for this. $69.99 for the 'Express Plus' option. Plus tax.

What is 'Express Plus'?

Father
17-06-2011, 15:40
What is 'Express Plus'?

Allows you to do the rides again and again. The 'Express' option merely allows you to do each ride once.

SDJ
18-06-2011, 04:01
We visited Islands of Adventure on Wednesday with friends who are staying at the Portofino Hotel. They have Express Passes and we didn't. The difference in timing was minimal and they had no longer than 5 minutes to wait for us to get off the rides and meet up with them. Today we all went to Universal. We got on Men in Black and off again before they did with their Pass!!! We had to wait for them. On the Jaws ride, we were on the next boat. The Mummy kept breaking down, and one of the other rides was closed.[msncry] Glad we have an Annual Pass....[msnoo]

Father
20-06-2011, 15:14
We visited Islands of Adventure on Wednesday with friends who are staying at the Portofino Hotel. They have Express Passes and we didn't. The difference in timing was minimal ....

This is interesting. Thanks. Did you do the Harry Potter rides?

The estimated waiting time for this was 90 minutes on Tuesday. I would be really interested to know how long the express pass holders waited.

For me, this is high risk stuff from Universal. It is not a good customer experience to wait a long time in line for a ride after paying the park entrance fee, and have to wait again while express pass holders waltz on. This experience would definitely deter us from going back to US/IoA in the future. They are obviously gambling that future customers don't take this view but it is a risky strategy imo.

Also - $15 for parking, $20 for preferred parking. Again putting the squeeze on.

christhear
20-06-2011, 15:52
There is no express pass on the forbidden journey (luckily) not sure about the dragon ride (but have not queued long for that) or teh hippogriff

DisneyPrincess
20-06-2011, 18:00
I dont think im alone in thinking this but thats absolutely disgusting - i wouldnt pay it out of principle. Wouldn't see that at Disney thats for sure.

mexico
21-06-2011, 01:53
Personally I'm a bit perplexed at this conversation! We love universal and IOA and find that compared to Disney for uk visitors they represent much better value! I mean you get 14 days unlimited two park ticket for less than £100 but it will cost you almost the same for a one day Disney with hopper! You do not need to buy the express pass and with the ability to come and go we have always managed to do the rides we want over a few visits! Don't get me wrong I hate queuing for extreme lengths of time and I definitely think it is a rip off that you have to pay for parking but it is just the same at Disney! But overall I do think universal offers better value than Disney!

Big_Momma
21-06-2011, 05:42
Over the years I have visited the parks in Sept, Oct and Nov and never had long queues! The only thing that we waited for and wished we hadn't was the wand shop thing in Harry Potter and I wouldn't have bothered if I knew what that was about before I queued!! I personally wouldn't bother with any express pass.

Albert the Frog
21-06-2011, 21:50
Personally I'm a bit perplexed at this conversation! We love universal and IOA and find that compared to Disney for uk visitors they represent much better value! I mean you get 14 days unlimited two park ticket for less than £100 but it will cost you almost the same for a one day Disney with hopper! You do not need to buy the express pass and with the ability to come and go we have always managed to do the rides we want over a few visits! Don't get me wrong I hate queuing for extreme lengths of time and I definitely think it is a rip off that you have to pay for parking but it is just the same at Disney! But overall I do think universal offers better value than Disney!

Couldn't agree more!

florida4sun
21-06-2011, 22:20
Just give a bitoif inside information on this. Typically there is no need to buy express passes. During heavy traffic times they are very expensive. Do some research and if possible try not to go during the high season dates. The parks are at there busiest during USA holiday dates (spring break, thanksgiving, presidents day, Xmas New Year etc etc).
As oir the price, all the times I have visited I have never seen the express passes above $30. $60 - $70 is too much but hey do sell out. Since offering this system compliants about ride queues have fallen, overall it has had a positive effect for them.
Also if something like this is really ruining the day, head straight to guest relations and complain. Otherwise nothing gets done. I have had some very good results at guest relations.
If a park is really heaving move to another park, this has worked very well for us in the past.

DisneyPrincess
22-06-2011, 06:12
Universal is better value than Disney i agree, i also prefer the parks to Disney too - but $49.99 for express? Ridiculous - i know you dont need to buy them, and in actual fact even in peak season we havent bothered, but i think its cheeky! It was $15.99 on our first trip 10 years ago. That price for express stops the 'value for money' aspect in its tracks if people buy it. And people will pay it not realising its a) not necessary and b) not for all of the major rides (including HP and the Forbideen Journey).