PDA

View Full Version : Using mobile phones in America

firsttimer
02-02-2004, 14:23
I have a vodafone pay as you go mobile phone. It is a few years old Motarola. I asked in a vodafone shop about using it in America and he said mine only has 2 wavebands and you need 3 wavebands in America.
I am reluctant to buy a new one, as it would just be for the occasional text home, or for us to contact each other if we got separated.
Has anyone got any suggestions
(by the way we have a set of Binatone 2 way radios which we found quite useful last year in France for keeping in contact in theme parks)

blott
02-02-2004, 15:18
You need a triband phone for use in USA so that shop person was right. You can either buy a mobile (or, as they're called, cell phone) if you wish but these cost around $50 upwards and both Tracfone and Virgin have pay as you go services.

With regard to your 2 way radios, you need to be very careful with these if you purchased them in the UK as the US uses different wave bands for emergency services, etc and you don't want to be stopping some vital service with a 'where are you' transmission!

I think you'll find lots of info when these issues have been discussed before if you do a search on the forum (along the top menu row).

annette_tr9
02-02-2004, 16:44
with oranage contracts you can't use pay as you go in america either, you have to have a contract. i don't know if it's the same for vodaphone but best to check!!

Nostromo
02-02-2004, 18:36
I used to have a triband Motorola under a vodaphone contract and it worked perfectly in America as long as I remembered to change the band as soon as I landed there. I now have a Samsung S300 triband with Orange, also on a contract. The band changes automatically with the search facility and the calls are cheaper as well.

firsttimer
02-02-2004, 19:11
Thanks.
I have done a search for the old message threads, and I have emailed Binatone to ask for a list of wavebands they use and whether they are suitable for use in America.

chris
02-02-2004, 23:54
You can easily buy walkie talkies in Walmart quite cheaply that have a range of 3 miles+. It is quite fun listening to others conversations in the parks;), though I hated the call sign my DH decided to call me (big bum[:I])

markfried
03-02-2004, 02:03
i took the liberty of on my most recent trip to florida purchasing a US T-Mobile sim card and just putting it in my UK phone (which is triband). They use the system the UK used to have with expiring credit (if I recall correctly the old UK system), but can be useful. DOn't spend too long though as the US system you pay for calls you receive too.

Pikey1999
03-02-2004, 20:21
You can also rent a tri-band mobile phone.
Don't know the cost but there are many firms out there.
Just use a search engine.

ianandsue
03-02-2004, 20:34
When we were over in florida last november Ian used his mobile phone, more than anticipated, no actually he just forgot he was overseas - conclusion, £200+ phone bill for 10 days!! Walkie talkies from walmart and a phone card in future!
Sue

annette_tr9
04-02-2004, 15:12
I always use the text message service on my mobile when i'm in the usa. If you ring someone they always go on for ages costing lots of money but if you text them you get your message to them and don't have to answer five hundred questions! You still have to pay to receive text messages though.

tinkerbell
04-02-2004, 15:19
We have never paid to recieve text messages Annette, it does cost more to send them when you are roaming though. Also remember that you pay an extortinoate amount to listen to answer phone messages! That's if you access your voicemail!

Angua
04-02-2004, 15:47
I agree with you entirely, Annette. We too find texting is the easiest option although we've never been charged to receive Texts either. We've only been charged differing amounts for the sent texts, depending on which area we're in.

I do know that our US friends get charged to receive Texts though. Has anyone else with UK mobile phone accounts noticed a receiving charge[?]

Tink's raised a good point about answer phones, it's best to get your mobile phone company to turn off your answer phone while you're in foreign lands. Orange told us that if [u]anyone</u> tries to call you while you're away, you get charged while they leave you the message as well as getting charged to pick up that message, all at overseas call rates!!!![msncry]

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

allyneil
10-02-2004, 00:46
I heard its possible to hire a triband telephone on arrival in the USA at the airport - but it needs to be pre-booked - check with your travel agents, they should know.

I have used my tri-band over there and the cost of the calls is fantastic!

Neil