PDA

View Full Version : Conoeing?

firsttimer
31-01-2004, 21:48
Is there anywhere you can hire a canoe, and is it suitable if you aren't very confident canoers?
Is it dangerous because of alligators?

bellaepovera
31-01-2004, 22:36
Yes, You can rent them on Lake Tohopekaliga..

janny
31-01-2004, 22:38
some of the state parks hire canoes so you can paddle away down the rivers
try looking on http://www.floridastateparks.org/central/default.asp for the nearest one to you
or ring Way fun kayak theydon't have a web site -yet but might be what you are looking for
Way Fun Kayak Adventures

Basic Info
Take a guided tour through the untouched beauty of Florida in a kayak for a real back-to-nature experience. Relax and get some exercise as you paddle your way down Shingle Creek or Lake Butler. No engines means no noise - you can get very close to some of the wild residents before they even realize you're there. Don't worry if you're not experienced, the staff at WayFun will show you all you need to know.

It's a very enjoyable day if you like the outdoors and a chance to see what Florida looked like before the theme parks. Probably not a great idea for younger children.

Telephone: 407 957 0071 (Call for pricing.)

kevinprewett
31-01-2004, 23:56
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

Is there anywhere you can hire a canoe, and is it suitable if you aren't very confident canoers?
Is it dangerous because of alligators?

Hi,
are you talking of just the Orlando/central florida area or further afield?

Kevin[?]

esprit
01-02-2004, 08:33
Well Ive got one in my garage........
You can hire them at Wekiva Springs State Park. North of Orlando, junction 94 I think. If you search on the name, I did a piece about this before. They do the Indian style canoes which are stable and safe ( the same sort we own) rather than the sort where you have to learn to get out of under the water if they capsize ( catch me in one of those!!). It is only dangerous because of alligators if you fall in!!! No seriously most of the alligators wouldnt tackle anything your size so I wouldnt worry about it.

bellaepovera
01-02-2004, 21:27
Lake Toho is in St. Cloud which I suppose is considered Kissimmee but about 30 minutes east of Disney.

blott
01-02-2004, 21:51
Lake Toho has waterfront in Old Town Kissimmee (the northern end of it forms the Lakefront Park) - it's East Lake Toho that's in St Cloud Patti so I'm not sure which one you mean has the canoes?

chris
01-02-2004, 23:36
We've hired canoes from Weeki Watchi Canoe Hire to go up the river that the manatees live in at this time of year. I'll let you know what its like as we go in 2 weeks time. They've got a website called www.floridacanoe.com It gives all the details there.Takes about 1 and a half hours to drive from Kissimmee.

bellaepovera
02-02-2004, 02:06
East...didnt realize it also runs that far.

firsttimer
09-02-2004, 17:00
Thanks everyone.
We will be staing in Orlanda with a car, so I suppose 1 to 2 hours absolute max journey time is what we are looking for.
I am a confident canoer, but hubby isn't (he did it for first time last year). Our 10 year old son is keen, but last year I shared a canoe with him on the Loire, and he was very tired towards the end (and so was I having to cope with his trailing paddle!!)

hmmm.....Esprit....are you casting aspertions about my size...??;)

I'll have to try and locate some of the places you have mentioned on a map. I think going down a river or creek and looking for wildlife is what we are looking for rather than a long distance hike across a lake.