PDA

View Full Version : Nature and wildlife

firsttimer
29-01-2004, 18:10
I think it might be nice to have a tread or fuorum where people could ask questions about the wildlife they might see, wild places they might go, places to ramble,let people know if they saw anything interesting in their last visit etc.
eg I would like to know if I'm likely to see humming birds and where I can see wildlife in the wild rather than in theme parks.

SG
29-01-2004, 21:40
I think this is a great idea. It would certainly add a new dimension to people's holidays.

Shirley

blott
29-01-2004, 22:24
For Florida humming bird info, try here http://rowdy13.tripod.com/floridahummers/home.html

There's also a guide to Florida wildlife on http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/wildlife.asp

firsttimer
30-01-2004, 14:00
Thanks Blott!
It looks as though some humming birds arrive in March, so we may see some in April.
And the wildlife page is just the sort of thing I was looking for.

firsttimer
30-01-2004, 14:15
I found this page on the Nature Conservancy website giving guided walks etc:
http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/florida/events/
and here is a map of the wildlife preserves in Florida with a map:
http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/florida/preserves/

blott
30-01-2004, 16:05
We've been to the Disney Wilderness Preserve in Poinciana which we found very interesting, particularly the buggy ride they do on Sundays as the guides are very knowlegable. They had the kids off the buggy too trying to find and identify animal tracks which the ones on our trip got very excited about!

firsttimer
31-01-2004, 20:49
Do you know if it would need a half or a full day, and is there anything else nearby to combine it with?

blott
31-01-2004, 21:05
The buggy trip starts around lunchtime (1.30 pm) and lasts for about an hour or so (depending on how many people ask questions) but there are loads of walking trails and you can take a picnic with you (you can get the fixings in either the Publix or Winn Dixie supermarket in Poinciana if you can't be bothered to make one up beforehand) so you can make it last as long as you wish.

On the way there, along Poinciana Boulevard from the 192, there's (in driving order) Green Meadows Petting Farm, Horse World Stables, Reedy Creek Nature Reserve and, a bit further on at Southport, Boggy Creek Airboat Rides, so quite a few to choose from!

steph_goodrum
31-01-2004, 23:39
Many of the State parks only charge about $7 per carload for entry and the Disney Wilderness preserve was about $2 a person to get in when we last checked so they can be a very cheap and enjoyable way to spend a few hours or the day.

lisi
17-09-2004, 19:41
I know this an old thread but I would just mention on the question of wildlife that Blott well and truly told me off last year!!!! When I returned from Crescent Lakes I just mentioned that I had not seen a lot of wildlife and being a freak thought it would be nice if there was a bird table outside the pool area! Well the heavens opened and he quoted chapter and verse about attracting the sort of creatures we would rather not and especially about not feeding the gators. I could quite see the point and thoroughly agreed but being a bird lover I was hoping to see something more tropical than bluetits and sparrows as we have at home.

I took it all in good part and know it was not meant harshly especially when I heard that a lady on Sanibel had been dragged into the water by a gator that she had been feeding!!! But I would love to be able to see more wildlife this time too[msnsmile]

Lisi

blott
17-09-2004, 20:18
The he's a she! :D Crumbs, was I that bad Lisi?

Wildlife is just one of my passions but I believe very strongly in letting it get on by itself without hassling or interfering with it and not feeding it! That way, everyone can look and enjoy it without getting it into trouble (or themselves!). :)

lisi
17-09-2004, 20:41
Sorry she !! - and I totally understand! Thanks for your answer on the manatees too - I know they are endangered but going all the way to Florida and not having a chance to see them would be a crime but have too much respect for wildlife to frighten them. And no, you weren't that bad - I could quite see where you were coming from :D

Lisi

Robert5988
17-09-2004, 22:53
A good day out to see natural wild life - birds by the thousand - manatees - aligators is Merritt Island wild life reserve. It is about an hour from Orlando(go East from J220 on I95.

It is free to enter the reserve and if you want to go to the beach it is a few dollars for the car. Free maps etc available from the Reserve centre.

One tip - there are no refreshments for sale at all, so pack a cool box if you are going for the day.