PDA

View Full Version : Save Disney - Roy E. Disney's Resignation

tinkerbell
29-01-2004, 17:01
Here as I sais on another thread is Roy E Disney's letter of resignation to Michael Eisner. I thought this might cause a little debate so gave it it's own thread!

If you want to see more go to www.savedisney.com (this isn't advertising is it?! I like it here!)

November 30, 2003

Mr. Michael D. Eisner, Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Dear Michael:

It is with deep sadness and regret that I send you this letter of resignation from the Walt Disney Company, both as Chairman of the Feature Animation Division and as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors.

You well know that you and I have had serious differences of opinion about the direction and style of management in the Company in recent years. For whatever reason, you have driven a wedge between me and those I work with even to the extent of requiring some of my associates to report my conversations and activities back to you. I find this intolerable.

Finally, you discussed with the Nominating Committee of the Board of Directors its decision to leave my name off the slate of directors to be elected in the coming year, effectively muzzling my voice on the board -- much as you did with Andrea Van de Kamp last year.

Michael, I believe your conduct has resulted from my clear and unambiguous statements to you and to the Board of Directors that after 19 years at the helm you are no longer the best person to run the Walt Disney Company. You had a very successful first 10-plus years at the company in partnership with Frank Wells, for which I salute you. But, since Frank's untimely death in 1994m, the Company has lost its focus, its creative energy, and its heritage.

As I have said, and as Stanley Gold has documented in letters to you and other members of the Board, this Company, under your leadership has failed during the last seven years in many ways:

The failure to bring back ABC Prime Time from the ratings abyss it has been in for years and your inability to program successfully the ABC Family Channel. Both of these failures have had, and I believe will continue to have, significant adverse impact on shareholder value.
Your consistent micro-management of everyone around you with the resulting loss of morale throughout the Company.
The timidity of your investments in our theme park business. At Disney's California Adventure, Paris and now in Hong Kong, you have tried to build parks 'on the cheap' and they show it and the attendance figures reflect it.
The perception by all of our stakeholders -- consumers, investors, employees, distributors and suppliers -- that the company is rapacious, soul-less, and always looking for the 'quick buck' rather than long-term value which is leading to a loss of public trust.
The creative brain drain of the last several years, which is real and continuing, and damages our Company with the loss of every talented employee.
Your failure to establish and build constructive relationships with creative partners, especially Pixar, Miramax, and the cable companies distributing our products.
Your consistent refusal to establish a clear succession plan.
In conclusion, Michael, it is my sincere belief that it is you who should be leaving and not me. Accordingly, I once again call for your resignation or retirement. The Walt Disney Company deserves fresh, energetic leadership at this challenging time in its history just as it did in 1984 when I headed a restructuring which resulted in your recruitment to the Company.

I have and will always have an enormous allegiance and respect for this Company, founded by my uncle, Walt, and father, Roy, and to our faithful employees and loyal stockholders. I don't know if you and and other directors can comprehend how painful it is for me and the extended Disney family to arrive at this decision.

In accordance with Item 6 of Form S-K and Item 7 of Schedule 14A, I request that you disclose this letter and that you file a copy of this letter as an exhibi

Bazamor
29-01-2004, 21:39
Tink, as you know i posted this on the back of all the negative comments re Disneyland Paris and you now know why its poor. When its been done on the cheap as Roy E Disney says what do you expect. It gauls me to see this great company slide on the back of greedy directors lining their own pockets, Join the Fight!

tinkerbell
29-01-2004, 22:23
I know, come on people! I was expecting more response to this, whats going on with you all?!?!

mikewj
29-01-2004, 23:27
Its changed a lot since I last visited the Save Disney site.

After reading about the closure of Walt Disney Animation in Florida (where they made Mulan, Lilo and Stich, Brother Bear), I went and signed the petition.

What makes it worse is that the proposed replacement for Alien Encounter (Stitch's Great Escape)will feature a Stitch, animated by non-Disney animators as they've just sacked all of people who worked on the original movie.

Here is a link to the story that made me act...again its not advertising, so please dont kill it or me.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16759

Mike

fiona
29-01-2004, 23:59
I signed up earlier on when I saw the posting on another site. But agree everyone should be looking at this - but can they get the big shareholders to act? If Eisner is not producing the goods he will be got rid of. But I have to say I cannot understand why they have let Roy Disney go - madness - did they think he had no clout whatsoever??

sunseeker
30-01-2004, 01:26
Just signed what we feel is a good cause petition in favour of Roy E Disney. We will be letting all our friends and family know the petition, as we are all big Disney fans.
Come on guys....get voting too.

kevinprewett
30-01-2004, 02:32
quote:Originally posted by sunseeker

Just signed what we feel is a good cause petition in favour of Roy E Disney. We will be letting all our friends and family know the petition, as we are all big Disney fans.
Come on guys....get voting too.

C'mon sign up with us too.This must be worth it!
Kevin[msnsmile]

Harmony
30-01-2004, 16:35
I have already signed up before I even saw this thread. I agree whole-heartedly that Disney is going the wrong way and I just hope Roy Disney is successful in turning the tide. The more that sign up the more this is likely.

Jeff

LesleyB
30-01-2004, 17:35
I've just signed up - number 12530 on the petition.

[msnsmile]

Lesley

sarahjk
01-02-2004, 03:42
Hi Guys

Just been on ton the Web site and signed the petition for myself, my hubby and my children Its now at 13704 everyone that has ever loved anything of Disney should sign this Disney is a part of chidhood and should continue to be so

Keep Disney for the young and young at Heart

Sarah

Kissyme
01-02-2004, 12:20
Just voted I`m number 13952 so it`s going up

disney dreamin
07-02-2004, 23:23
Just been and signed the petition and it's now up to 17111.

Keep up the good work!!

Ruth
08-02-2004, 01:03
All of our family have signed:)

chrisj
11-02-2004, 19:32
Look as though they are about to be taken over

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-997510,00.html

tinkerbell
11-02-2004, 19:37
From the Great One himself.....

"That’s one thing I learned from Disneyland, to control the environment. Without that, we get blamed for things that someone else does. When they come here, they’re coming because of an integrity that we’ve established over the years, and they drive for hundreds of miles and the little hotels on the fringe would jump their rates three times. I’ve seen it happen and I just can’t take it because it reflects on us. Now, if they don’t run a good hotel operation and those little honky-tonks come in there, I mean, even too much liquor can flow in areas and teenagers can get involved…we’re blamed.

I just feel a responsibility to the public that we must control (the environment) when they come into this world, that we take the blame for what goes on. Also, to keep an operation like Disneyland going we have to pour it in there. It’s what I call “Keeping the show on the road.” You just have to keep throwing it in; you can’t sit back and let it ride. You have to keep throwing it in. That’s been our policy all of our lives. My brother and I have done that and that is what has built our organization."

-- Walt Disney

tinkerbell
11-02-2004, 19:39
Interesting link Chris, I wonder what the future holds....

Bazamor
12-02-2004, 01:33
Well lets hope Comcast throw some dough at it and give us back the Disney we know and love. Wouldnt it be great if Roy had something to do with it![msnwink]

tinkerbell
12-02-2004, 15:57
Wouldn't it just??!!! There's a ray of light perhaps?! How can Michael Eisner sleep at night knowing that he's destoying hopes and dreams? that's what I want to know!

Bigblue33
13-02-2004, 17:21
I found a story about it here http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/9933.html

Don.

kevinprewett
15-02-2004, 14:16
For anyone really interested get hold of a copy of today's Mail on Sunday & read pages 2 & 11 in the Financial Mail re: Bill Gates & Eisner[msnwink]

chrisj
03-03-2004, 13:39
Heres another story out today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3528103.stm

steph_goodrum
03-03-2004, 15:41
Todays the day the shareholders vote so lets hope they've all been following the stories. Trouble is those who don't bother to vote will have their proxy decided by the board so guess who they will vote for.

I don't know when we'll get the results in though.

My daughter has cast her vote, she didn't realise what power she was getting:)

benfilo
04-03-2004, 03:33
just joined after reading this, lets face it Disney is a big part of why we are all on this site
phil

neilandkay
04-03-2004, 20:39
\From CNN

> EISNER OUT AS DISNEY CHAIR

Disney's board announced it would separate the jobs of chairman and CEO
tonight after 43 percent of Disney shareholders voted earlier today to oppose
the re-election of chairman and CEO Michael Eisner. Eisner will remain as the
company's chief executive officer while the board unanimously elected former
Sen. George Mitchell as the company's new chairman. Eisner has faced growing
calls for his resignation from among others, founder Walt Disney's nephew Roy
Disney.

How will this historic shakeup impact the millions of Americans that own
Disney stock? We'll ask Andy Serwer.

.... http://www.cnn.com/money/2004/03/03/news/companies/disney/index.htm

Bazamor
05-03-2004, 01:50
Just need to get rid of him as CEO now and all his cronies on the board.I'm afraid as it stands nothing much will change as he still has the reins and Mitchell is his lapdog anyway.

:(