PDA

View Full Version : The Grass is always greener.....

Angua
29-01-2004, 01:42
Any Gardeners reading this who are hoping to find some new advice in this thread on how to keep that strange Floridian lawn, lush and colourful - switch off now. Nothing as exciting as that, I'm afraid. Although, why is that grass so strange??!! Evaporation reduction or just something comfy for the 'gators to lie on?![8]

Just an observation of how strange life is. Isn't it weird that we British/Members of the UK** seem to adore and want all things American and yet our American friends seem to adore and want all things British/European**.

As an example, we were desperately trying to find a stockist for Coors beer in the UK and were over the moon when we found some, yet our US friends think we're mad and always go for the continental beers. WHY is that??!!

Anyone else got any examples or am I going all deep and meaningful and therefore in need of a lie down in a darkened room?

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

**I read the earlier post about whether to call us Brits or whatever!!! Don't yell at me for not being PC - I'm from the deepest, darkest Countryside and it hasn't got here yet![msntongue])

blott
29-01-2004, 03:55
This all sounds very philosophical Sarah! Isn't it just human nature to aspire to something you don't have already and to find something 'foreign' interesting?

Forget PC... there's a reason why our passports are issued by the UK Passport Office perhaps? Although we're also called Great Britain or British Isles (hence British) - now there's an enigma to ponder on!

Florida grass isn't strange - it's just a different type of grass to what we have in the UK as it suits the climate better. If we took UK turf (or sod as it's called) to Florida it would probably be dead within a week and vice versa.

ptcruisermom
29-01-2004, 05:57
Florida grass is way different than what we have up north here. OUrs is softer. I remember when my parents first bought a place down there, they said there was no way you would wnat to run barefoot thru it. As for Brits wanting American and American wanting British I think some of it has to couriousity, you know just wondering how the other people live and what their lives are like.[msnsmile]

SG
29-01-2004, 12:04
I visited Japan about five years ago and visited the biggest department store in the world. I went in thinking wow it will be full of amazing Japenese goods only to find that it was like going into a department store in London. You could buy every sort of British made china etc and it was almost impossible to find anything Japenese apart from the electronics!!

Shirley