PDA

View Full Version : Green Card Lottery Application????

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-11-2002, 03:15
We have applied for this years lottery and next years too. We completed the online form and paid by visa. We also had to mail a form with our photos on.

Before applying we went onto the sites own "verifer" which advised that we were eligible to apply.

However revisiting the USAIS.org site again tonight it states that residents from Great Britain excluding N.Ireland are ineligible.

Our form has been processed. Are we in or out? If out will we be able to get our money back?

Any ideas?

Sarah

blott
09-11-2002, 03:27
Out as far as I know Sarah! UK citizens have been ineligible for the green card lottery for some time now (but Irish are not, including those from Northern Ireland) as there are more than the 50,000 set limit for immigrants in the last five years. If you had been eligible, your application should have been received in Kentucky USA by noon on 06 November 2002.

Don't know about getting your money back (you can ask as you are ineligible and they shouldn't have advised you that you were eligible) but the fact that you paid with your credit card might help your cause as you can presumably get a refund from the credit card company.

I've just found these websites:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/lottery.htm
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/divlott.htm
http://travel.state.gov/DV2004.html
which might help.

florida4sun
09-11-2002, 04:11
You would not be elegible if you are born in the Uk.There is talk of the 2005 lottery being available to the UK but I doubt it very much.
If you have a parent who was born in an accepted country then you can claim nativity for the country. There are no refunds once you have applied:(.....Sorry

quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

We have applied for this years lottery and next years too. We completed the online form and paid by visa. We also had to mail a form with our photos on.

Before applying we went onto the sites own "verifer" which advised that we were eligible to apply.

However revisiting the USAIS.org site again tonight it states that residents from Great Britain excluding N.Ireland are ineligible.

Our form has been processed. Are we in or out? If out will we be able to get our money back?

Any ideas?

Sarah

florida4sun
09-11-2002, 04:13
Just a thought. Hoiw did you manage to apply online? If you go through the INS site it will not let you if you state an eligible country. Did you apply direct or through an agency - these can appear to be official.

Any ideas?

Sarah

Ken and Julia
09-11-2002, 04:53
I wonder if the channel Islands would be treated as the UK, as we have our own government our own money etc, does anyone know of anyone that might know the answer to that

florida4sun
09-11-2002, 08:19
It goes by what nationality you were when born. What nationality passport would you have been issued with on that day.

quote:Originally posted by Ken and Julia

I wonder if the channel Islands would be treated as the UK, as we have our own government our own money etc, does anyone know of anyone that might know the answer to that

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-11-2002, 12:35
We applied through www.usaus.org which did not list the Uk on it's list of banned countries (but now does :().

blott
09-11-2002, 14:17
Did you read the first link I gave you - this has info about agencies which charge you for making what is a FREE application.

I think your best way of attempting to get your money back via your credit card. If you tell them that the site has misleading information and should have told you that you were ineligible, it's worth a try!

Ken - presumably if you have a UK passport then Guernsey is part of the UK? Isle of Man is in a similar situation with its own government, etc and so, too, is Scotland presumably.

esprit
09-11-2002, 15:23
Definitely out. Unless your or Sarahs parents was born in Ireland including Northern Ireland. Does not apply to grandparents ( we checked on that as Terry's grandad was from Eire). How did you pay???

fiona
09-11-2002, 16:07
Gosh, Chris was born in Cyprus does this count? Got Brit passport, and always have as his parents just happened to be posted there. Now if I had been the one born in Germany, not my brother, we might be onto a winner!!

blott
09-11-2002, 16:23
Fiona, Cyprus is on the list of nationalities able to apply and it says you need to be born there, even if you are a national of another country (so presumably it says he was born in Cyprus on his birth certificate?). As long as one of you was born there, it would seem to apply to both of you as long as both of you enter the USA at the same time.

Check out the info on the third website I posted above for full details. It also tells you how to apply for free although you've just missed this year's application date!

esprit
09-11-2002, 17:00
Lucky b----r, Fiona!!! Mind you, the chances of winning are about the same as getting three numbers up on the lottery and I have not done that for a while. I read somewhere that because they get so many dud forms in ( sorry John!!), your chance is about one in 50. It is not impossible though as I know a number of people who have won it. Woman who lived across the road at my previous house ( Irish) won it and they all disappeared off, then the owner of our local Chinese chippie ( Chinese orgin I presume) did the same.

fiona
09-11-2002, 17:53
Place of birth: Nicosia

Guess where we haven't been able to go on holiday? Cyprus (because they would have called him up!!) Turkey and now northern Cyprus.

I expect now he's 51 no-one would be interested in him for call-up purposes any more!

Hadn't thought of applying I must admit. Do they need another bathroom distributor / importer? Can one run a business supplying half of the UK from the US I wonder?

Perhaps another time!

Just looked at the site - and his mother was born in Hong Kong!

blott
09-11-2002, 18:20
Fiona, as the only person I've known with eligibility to apply, you're saying that you don't want to?

Crumbs, it doesn't cost anything (apart from some photos and postage to USA) and you can always say no if you happen to win it and don't want to go. You apply between October - November 2003 for the 2005 lottery so it's not next week.

If it was me, I'd put in for it anyway and see how I felt if and when I won it, but each to their own I guess!

florida4sun
09-11-2002, 18:31
With green card you can do whta you like. even doss around on social security...

quote:Originally posted by fiona

Place of birth: Nicosia

Guess where we haven't been able to go on holiday? Cyprus (because they would have called him up!!) Turkey and now northern Cyprus.

I expect now he's 51 no-one would be interested in him for call-up purposes any more!

Hadn't thought of applying I must admit. Do they need another bathroom distributor / importer? Can one run a business supplying half of the UK from the US I wonder?

Perhaps another time!

Just looked at the site - and his mother was born in Hong Kong!

roger
09-11-2002, 20:40
We applied at the same time as John and Sarah - Carolyn was born In Germany, so we could apply twice - once for Carolyn, and once for me. The site we used was the official site the same as John - they do charge, but the charge is for having the facility to apply on-line and to track the progress of the application, and also to verify eligibility. Our forms have been successfully received and validated by the INS.

When we applied, we discussed this with John and Sarah, as we were surprised that it clearly said UK was not excluded (in contradiction to other non-official sites) and it did validate John and Sarah as being eligible. As John says, the same site now states UK as being non-eligible as we first expected.

I think J&S have a good case for their money back.

The results of the lottery are announced between April and July 2003.

blott
09-11-2002, 22:21
Well, just to add to the confusion, I just tried out the website you used John and Roger http://www.usais.org and input my details saying that myself, my husband and my parents were all born in the UK and it also says

Congratulations
You are a qualified applicant for the Green Card Lottery Program!

I think there is some serious problem with this site. This is particularly so as payment is required, which they will not be able to collect if they tell you the truth, ie that unless you, your spouse or parents were born outside the UK (excluding Eire or Northern Ireland) you're not eligible. Whether it's an internet scam to collect money or is an error, I think John and Sarah have an extremely strong case for a refund.

roger
09-11-2002, 22:30
I don't think it is a scam as it is the official Immigration Service site for the US, so on that basis I think they would happily give a refund as it is a clear error on their part. If the site was one of the many other sites that charge for processing of the forms then thay might be a different story.

blott
09-11-2002, 22:49
quote: I don't think it is a scam as it is the official Immigration Service site for the US Roger, sorry this is probably a very stupid question, but how do you know that? Seems a bit odd that something that official would be offering an affiliate program, a link back service to other websites and only has a PO Box address?

florida4sun
10-11-2002, 01:16
Its the official website. They must have some bugs as I noticed one or two things wrong.

Martin

quote:Originally posted by blott

quote: I don't think it is a scam as it is the official Immigration Service site for the US Roger, sorry this is probably a very stupid question, but how do you know that? Seems a bit odd that something that official would be offering an affiliate program, a link back service to other websites and only has a PO Box address?

florida4sun
10-11-2002, 01:18
Diid you print the forms off and mail them. The online bit does not go through the sytem. You have to log in print it off and attach photos.
i also noticed that for just $50 they will give you p to $5000.00 towards airfare. Not bad.

phil moloney
10-11-2002, 03:07
What is the advantage of having agreen card?
Phil

Andy & Arlene
10-11-2002, 03:09
Phil, a green card means you can live in the US as a PERMANENT RESIDENT. (without having to go through the hassle of setting up a business or buying a business). Of course, that is only if you would like to stay there in the first place.

Arlene

blott
10-11-2002, 03:54
quote:Diid you print the forms off and mail them. The online bit does not go through the sytem. You have to log in print it off and attach photos.No Martin, I didn't want to waste my money as I'm not eligible for the lottery and have not been for some years, despite what they say...! ;) I could have paid my $50 and assumed that I had been unsuccessful in the lottery when I didn't hear anything next year. But, instead of that, I'd have been filed in the WPB/trash can at the INS all the time, if I didn't already know I wasn't eligible. I think that's a pretty neat way to make money... particularly as you can apply, if eligible, for free yourself. Just follow the guidelines on the http://travel.state.gov/DV2004.html (US Consular) site!

Actually, they say on the website 'USAIS.org is not a Government Agency' so perhaps you can enlighten me in what way it is the official immigration site for the US?

phil moloney
10-11-2002, 04:25
Thank you Arlene. Are there any negative aspects to having a green cerd? I know one very wealthy man that returned his green card. In fact he had more trouble returning it than getting it.
Phil

florida4sun
10-11-2002, 08:21
By jove your right. The site is just an agency. What a ripoff, had me fooled. I just noticed the charges which are way over the top. Costs around $400 for a ten year application. the offical fee is around $80 for a 'in until you win'.
Apologes for my misinformation. I humble in your shadow, well in your pool atleast;)

quote:Originally posted by blott

quote:Diid you print the forms off and mail them. The online bit does not go through the sytem. You have to log in print it off and attach photos.No Martin, I didn't want to waste my money as I'm not eligible for the lottery and have not been for some years, despite what they say...! ;) I could have paid my $50 and assumed that I had been unsuccessful in the lottery when I didn't hear anything next year. But, instead of that, I'd have been filed in the WPB/trash can at the INS all the time, if I didn't already know I wasn't eligible. I think that's a pretty neat way to make money... particularly as you can apply, if eligible, for free yourself. Just follow the guidelines on the http://travel.state.gov/DV2004.html (US Consular) site!

Actually, they say on the website 'USAIS.org is not a Government Agency' so perhaps you can enlighten me in what way it is the official immigration site for the US?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-11-2002, 12:43
Ah well, I've just disputed the transaction with VISA and will get the money back that way. What a con :(.

blott
10-11-2002, 14:33
I'm so sorry John and Sarah but it made me even more suspicious the more I looked into it. :(

Martin, it's OK, it does look 'official' but it's deliberately set up to look that way I think - but am I funky yet? ;)

fiona
10-11-2002, 15:08
Do we want to emigrate to the USA Blott? Not really, although Chris might!

But we have a business with £3.5M turnover that we can't just walk away from, plus daughters at senior school - 1 taking A Levels, the younger just started on the GCSE slog. Then we have 3/4 years of uni to look forward to. So we can't afford to sell the business yet as we have several years of penury to come - and if the government have their way virtual bankruptcy!

So we can't realistically look at it for another 7/8 years. But do I want to live in the USA - I have my doubts I must admit. Don't like the food, TV's rubbish and I miss the UK papers, but I suppose I could force myself to put up with these things for the weather! And then there is my dogs, can't see 2 old english sheepdogs taking to that heat all that well.

Also have elderly parents, Chris's mother is 89 and my mother is 68 (and she is still shell-shocked from losing my father when he died very suddenly 3 years ago). My mother won't fly anywhere so there's a problem, and Chris is an only child. Never easy all these things are they. You would think having both been brought up abroad for most of our childhood we would be raring to go wouldn't you?

Lizzie
10-11-2002, 16:31
I too did think about applying for green card - both parents are Irish, and I was also going to get Irish passport. Seems like I'd probably not qualify though - too dumb! Went to grammar school but left at 15 (as many of us did in those days), havn't had 2 years "formal" training for any kind of profession so it looks like no chance for me.:(

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-11-2002, 17:13
I've got to admit to finding the whole thing absolutely ridiculous. If you are from Afghanistan or Iraq then you are ok to apply but if you are from the UK (think 'special relationship') then you have no chance. Where's the logic in it???

Ken and Julia
10-11-2002, 18:23

I've got to admit to finding the whole thing absolutely ridiculous. If you are from Afghanistan or Iraq then you are ok to apply but if you are from the UK (think 'special relationship') then you have no chance. Where's the logic in it???

Do you think thats why all these brits signed up with Osama to get a green card to go to the USA:D

Seems a drastic way of doing it.

florida4sun
10-11-2002, 18:34
Its down to how many poeple a single country send to the usa each year. The whole idea is too make the visas available for countries that are under represented in the USA. GB send s well over the 50000 maximum requirement each year.
Just imagine if they were to issue a green card to anyone who wanted one from the UK. The streets of London would be pretty empty.

blott
10-11-2002, 18:43
I think the 'special relationship' is that we have one with USA but they don't have one with us!

We are, in theory, allowed a three month stay in US on the visa waiver programme or six months on a B visitor's visa (although the latter is now under restriction discussions). US citizens can come to UK for up to six months without a visa, which just about says it all really.

Martin's right though - it's not just Brits who want to go to live in the US and the system was designed to try to fairly distribute the number of immigrants from all countries.

I wonder how many applications there would be if UK held a similar sort of lottery?

steph_goodrum
10-11-2002, 18:49
Don't you think though Martin that it is a bit ridiculous of the government to set a limit of 50000 regardless of the size of the population of the applicants home country, if you have a country with a population of 10,000, theoretically the whole country could emigrate to the US each year for 5 years and they would still be eligible but a country that may have 1000,000 if 5 percent, emigrated in the first month that would then render the rest of the population ineligible for the next 4years 11 months.
I would have thought that with most countries having a fairly good idea of the size of their population that it could be done on a proportional basis.

Andy & Arlene
10-11-2002, 22:24
The whole idea is too make the visas available for countries that are under represented in the USA. GB send s well over the 50000 maximum requirement each year.

Martin, do you mean that 50,000 Brits get green cards every year, or is it 50,000 get visas for the X amount of years that they will be there with their companies.

Arlene

florida4sun
10-11-2002, 22:58
Yes btian sends well over 50000 through 'normal visas ("trying saying normal to nayone trying to get one at the moment.

quote:Originally posted by Andy & Arlene

The whole idea is too make the visas available for countries that are under represented in the USA. GB send s well over the 50000 maximum requirement each year.

Martin, do you mean that 50,000 Brits get green cards every year, or is it 50,000 get visas for the X amount of years that they will be there with their companies.

Arlene

fiona
10-11-2002, 23:32
Well I have been outvoted by the other 3, and we are to start applying next year!!

esprit
10-11-2002, 23:38
The ridiculous thing is that Brits whose parents were born somewhere else can apply. How does that make one any more ethnically diverse?? You are still British. Also why are the Northern Irish not considered to be British? The whole thing does not make much sense.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-11-2002, 00:40
I'd agree Julie...it's absolutely rubbish.

Also being born in a foreign country is no way of making the thing ethnically diverse - especially with the number of people who may have had parents in the armed forces and been born abroad.

blott
11-11-2002, 02:30
Oh Fiona, after all those reasons why you couldn't apply! [:O] You'll have to wait until next October to get your application in though.

I think the rules are wrong too but the problem is, it's not our country and we don't make them! :(

fiona
11-11-2002, 03:45
Chris thinks it will make our life easier going in and out and we may be able to buy a car without any problems. Also as we ease towards retirement (????? - some of us still the right side of 50 here[8D]!!) we can stay as long as we like. Of course, we may not be there together all the time as may have dogs to consider:). Daughters are on stand-by to have large hairy hounds in our absence (hmm, can see that one happening!)

florida4sun
11-11-2002, 06:35
You have to be careful. using itas a an extended holiday visa will not work as they will take it away from you. You need to be living here full time. If they see you coming and going to and from the UK, you will have to proove why you need the visa.

quote:Originally posted by fiona

Chris thinks it will make our life easier going in and out and we may be able to buy a car without any problems. Also as we ease towards retirement (????? - some of us still the right side of 50 here[8D]!!) we can stay as long as we like. Of course, we may not be there together all the time as may have dogs to consider:). Daughters are on stand-by to have large hairy hounds in our absence (hmm, can see that one happening!)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-11-2002, 13:17
That will teach me not to do things on the spur of the moment without reading the smallprint first I suppose. I'm usually so careful about this kind of thing too :(.

fiona
11-11-2002, 13:21
OK, will have to explain that to my lot Martin. That puts it off until YD has finished schooling at least.;)

blott
11-11-2002, 14:29
John

I had you down as a pretty careful person, that's why I got so confused as I was being told it was an official site but I was certain that it wasn't. I'm no expert on US immigration it's just that we looked into the lottery pretty carefully some years ago and the UK wasn't eligible even then (1994, I think). The site looked like an official one though so don't blame yourself for being taken in - I expect lots of other poor people have too and just don't know it. Let's just hope you get your refund quickly.

Fiona

Martin's right I think as a green card is permanent residence visa, ie you emigrate to the US full time. Nothing to stop you coming to the UK for holidays from time to time but the US has to be your permanent residence.

Precious
11-11-2002, 14:34
I quite fancied going to the US for a spell and at one time it wasn't that difficult to get a US company to sponser you but when I looked at the pay and conditions I decided to go it alone over here and holiday over there instead. Plus I got the impression that they already had too many Brits out there and that they would be taking me under sufference because of a skill shortage.

fiona
11-11-2002, 15:03
Funny how the land of the free is so keen to tell you how to live your life isn't it? From HOA's who don't let you put ponds in your front gardens to the powers that be that insist you live there.

I must say owning a villa in the USA has been a real eye-opener.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-11-2002, 15:08
Blott:

You're right - I'm usually a very careful person - myself and Sarah got a bit carried away this time and the deadline was looming so we had to act quick. If only there was 72 hours in each day I'd be able to do all I need to fit in :).

chris
11-11-2002, 20:21
I may be wrong but I seem to remember FloridaPete once mentioning that children can't stay there under the umbrella of the parent's green card once they've left college unless they were born in the US?

Chris

florida4sun
11-11-2002, 20:31
Yes they can, dependant children under 21 will be given there own reen card. If they are over 21 then they will have to apply for the lottery themsleves. Or of course a greencard holder can sponser family.

quote:Originally posted by chris

I may be wrong but I seem to remember FloridaPete once mentioning that children can't stay there under the umbrella of the parent's green card once they've left college unless they were born in the US?

Chris

blott
11-11-2002, 20:43
I think you're thinking of an E2 visa Chris.