PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos?

firsttimer
28-01-2004, 14:20
Hi, are mosquitos ever a problem? We will be going over Easter and staying in a villa. I don't know where it is (somewhere in Kissimee area) so don't know whether we will be near lakes or ponds.
I have some plug in mosquito vapourisers, so I can easily take these if necessary.

athurstance
28-01-2004, 15:06
We go over at Easter and I've never noticed any mosquitos. You get the odd bug but they are kept out by the pool screening and I've never seen anything like that inside the villa.

Carla
28-01-2004, 15:06
I've been a regular in Florida since 1995 and have only ever been bitten a couple of times and my home backs onto a lake.

When you are swimming or sunbathing, you'll be under the screening, so the bugs can't get at you. Walking around the Parks etc. during the day has never been a problem for us at all. The main danger time seems to be early evening (that's when I've been bitten, getting from the car into restaurants), so if you are particularly sensitive to mossies then you could either cover up with thin clothing or use a repellent like Veet (I think that's the one!!).

Angua
28-01-2004, 15:21
Hi, firsttimer

Have to say that Hubbie and I have never suffered from Mosquitos on our visits to Orlando, whether in lakeside hotels or villas and in different seasons. However, as a precautionary measure, we do use a mild Mossie repellant when enjoying an evening by the pool, when we remember!! Certainly we've never had a problem with Mosquitos indoors.

Hubbie was rather badly bitten on a airboat tour of the Everglades many moons ago so if you taste good to Mosquitos, obviously it's a good idea to slather yourself in cream and cover up if you're visiting swampy areas.

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

firsttimer
28-01-2004, 16:56
Thanks, that's a help.
We have some insect repellant. (Do you mean Deet?....isn't Veet the hair remover![msnwink]
I was going to ask someone what the covering of the pools is. I assumed it couldn't be glass otherwise the pools would be classed as indoors.

kay9jess
28-01-2004, 17:13
my wife gets badly bitten every time we go away,she has tried all the plug in machines and sprays you can buy in the uk.on our first visit to florida in 95 my brother who live there recommended a spray call `cutter` which my wife swears by and has used ever since .

blott
28-01-2004, 17:54
Our home is almost surrounded by water and I've never been bitten once by a mosquito in Florida, either inside or outside the net screen or when travelling around without using any sprays, etc. However, when I've been to other European countries, ie Italy, Spain, etc I've been practically eaten alive by mossies!

The pool covering is made of a very fine mesh net which keeps bugs out but let's the weather in. [msnwink]

chrisj
28-01-2004, 17:56
We also had more trouble in Europe with them

Angua
28-01-2004, 18:22
Since we're on the subject of Mosquitos (pesky critters), I wondered if anyone else has discovered the joys of "Mosi-Guard Natural" repellant. Marvellous stuff and very effective too.

We have to take loads of it out to our US friends as it's a natural product and can be used on babies over 3 months. They say that it's difficult to find products which aren't too strong to use on the kiddies.

You can even buy it online and have it shipped anywhere in the world. http://www.mosi-guard.com/

.....and no I don't have shares [msnwink]..... just went to buy some today in readiness for our trip and this thread made me think of it.

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

Carla
28-01-2004, 18:43
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

Thanks, that's a help.
We have some insect repellant. (Do you mean Deet?....isn't Veet the hair remover![msnwink]

LOL. So with my version you don't get any unwanted mossies or hairs!!

You're right, I knew that it had an "..eet" in it!!
:D:D

Beverley
29-01-2004, 18:54
We were in Florida at Christmas. My hubby, who never usually gets bitten, went fishing for the day.
He and his fellow fishermen were covered in bites. They packed up early it go so bad, and they all were using insect repellent.
We had heard water can attract more biting machines but had never had a problem previously.

Must have been their aftershave. ;) Next time I'll make sure he uses hair remover.:D:D:D

kevinprewett
29-01-2004, 19:09

Hi, are mosquitos ever a problem? We will be going over Easter and staying in a villa. I don't know where it is (somewhere in Kissimee area) so don't know whether we will be near lakes or ponds.
I have some plug in mosquito vapourisers, so I can easily take these if necessary.

I agree with all the other comments. Been going to Fl. since 1979 and have never had a mossie bite in or around Orlando. SW coast is a different story tho'.If you need to feel safer and need a repellant try Avon 'skin so soft' (I'mm sure that is the name of it - if it's wrong I,m sure someone will correct me!)The residents of the South West sdwear by it. I'm sure Avon wouldn't like it to be advertised as an insect repellant but hey if it works..
Kevin[msnwink]

athurstance
29-01-2004, 19:21
I use that Kevin - you need the original 'Skin so Soft' - they do another Woodland one aswell. It works really well.

mikewj
29-01-2004, 19:46
We went on an airboat ride a few years ago and covered our exposed skin with repellent.

I was wearing a red T-shirt, which became progressively darker during the ride as mosquitos attached without mercy.....fortunately, they didn't actually get through the material !!

neilandkay
29-01-2004, 21:21
If there are mosquitos around, I would recommend using a repellent, especially on the young and elderly. I think it is better to be safe than sorry.

--Kay

kevinprewett
29-01-2004, 22:57
quote:Originally posted by neilandkay

If there are mosquitos around, I would recommend using a repellent, especially on the young and elderly. I think it is better to be safe than sorry.
Kay,
I totally agree, with kids you can never take chances! but wasn't there a scare in the us not so long ago regarding re[ellants contaning DEET?

Kevin[?]

--Kay

Ray&Sarah
30-01-2004, 02:20
Hi,

I'm lucky I guess, as mosquitos do not like the taste, but Sarah frequently gets bitten. When we were there in August last year we bought one of these sonic devices that you clip to your clothing. It seemed to work, until you took it off!

Ruth
30-01-2004, 11:55
I have never been bitten in Orlando but did get eaten alive when staying at the coast last year. Still, I think it is a small price to pay for a fabulous water view:D

Funshine
30-01-2004, 12:41
Yes I'd advise you to be prepared, especially if you're walking on grass, if its been humid and/or raining.

Amirah
31-01-2004, 00:43
I took "Off" bug repellant water proof with us in May 2003 and it didn't work of course. the quitos down in Florida are nothing like the quitos we have here in New Jersey. We literally itched for up to a month after we came back from vacation. "Skin So Soft" from Avon works well and that's what people are using here as a bug repellant.

orlandobabe
01-02-2004, 01:49
Must try that skin so soft next May.

Last May we were both bitten by Deer flies. Very nasty-made mosquito bites look like gnat bites.

Never had that before.

chrizzy100
01-02-2004, 02:30

My daugher was bite badly one evening lots of times......but the bites cleared up quick.....and no-one was bitten any other night or day.....I found some places had more bugs than others.......we looked at one show house and it was like walking in a fog of little black bugs.....

Funshine
01-02-2004, 12:58
I am also one of those who invariably gets bitten! I always make sure I have some anit-histamine tablets with me, in addition to mosie spray. I take one tablet which usually stops me getting a really nasty itchy lump!

orlandobabe
01-02-2004, 23:16
You can buy anti-histamine over there fairly cheaply.

Super target do their own called allergy relief-you need to look for di-phenhydramine on the list of ingredients.

It's also used as a sleep aid.

Angua
02-02-2004, 16:24
quote:Originally posted by Amirah

I took "Off" bug repellant water proof with us in May 2003 and it didn't work of course. the quitos down in Florida are nothing like the quitos we have here in New Jersey. We literally itched for up to a month after we came back from vacation. "Skin So Soft" from Avon works well and that's what people are using here as a bug repellant.

So which product in the Skin-So-Soft range is the most effective against those dastardly mosquitos? Can you use any of the products or is it just the shower gel or body lotion?

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

kevinprewett
02-02-2004, 16:48
quote:Originally posted by Sarah Seaman

quote:Originally posted by Amirah

So which product in the Skin-So-Soft range is the most effective against those dastardly mosquitos? Can you use any of the products or is it just the shower gel or body lotion?

Kind regards
Sarah.[msncool]

Skin so soft lotion [msnwink]

tinkerbell
02-02-2004, 18:03
It must be the lotion, because by total coincidence, I wear the orange scented one all the time, and I have never seen a mozzie in Orlando!

Southsider
03-02-2004, 03:43
The best thing to avoid any kind of bug bites is vitamin B6, start taking 1 a day a week before your holiday and while on holiday and guaranteed no mossie bites. Apparently what ever it does, it makes your skin not very appealing.:D

bellaepovera
03-02-2004, 13:14
I always use the product OFF and it works wonders for me. It comes in spray or cream. Was watching a program on Discovery awhile back and it was stated that its the females that do all the biting and go for sweet smelling skins. They did a test on all product for mosquitos and the ones that are plugged in do not do a thing to keep them away, the electric zappers outside seem to kill only other bugs, as they took out all the dead bugs in the tray and only found 15% of them to me mosquitos. Test no. 3: putting two men at night time in a forest, one with OFF on the other without, well you can imagine who they went after. Mosquito rep. were said to be the best thing to use to avoid getting bitten.

firsttimer
04-02-2004, 14:22
Why have they set this topic folder on fire?
Are they hinting it is a rubbish topic??[msnwink]

Angua
04-02-2004, 14:28
Exactly the opposite, firsttimer! The folder is on fire to indicate that the thread has received over 20 posts and is a popular topic.

Kind regards
Sarah.[8D]

tinkerbell
04-02-2004, 15:25
We have used OFF when we have been sailing in the British Virgin Islands, and apparently it is great.

I'd be interested to hear more about this 'sweet skin' attraction, as I have NEVER been bitten by anything like that, despite travelling through Malaysia, Australia (and bush camping!), and loads of other places where you get warned about bites, so am I to assume I don;t smell good?! Is this only applicable to mosquitos or all living things?! I betetr go shopping for some perfume if thats the case!

pbensur
04-02-2004, 18:27
quote:Originally posted by Carla

Thanks, that's a help.

LOL. So with my version you don't get any unwanted mossies or hairs!!

You're right, I knew that it had an "..eet" in it!!
:D:D

I thought that "Neet" was the hair remover!!!

blott
04-02-2004, 18:40
It's Veet in the UK Patty so you probably have it under a different name in the US.

Mind you, the smell of it is enough to put anything off so it might work anyway! [msnwink]

Amirah
04-02-2004, 18:44
The product that everybody uses here is the Skin-So-Soft Original Moisturizing Bath Oil. As crazy as it sounds, the bath oil works better than the lotion and it's ok to use on your skin all day without washing it off.

Whichever one you get make sure it's the GREEN and WHITE bottle. The pink and white one has a soft smell but doesn't have the same formula. The only fall back to Skin So Soft in the green is that some people think that the smell is too loud. I'd rather use it than to get those annoying bites . Don't put too much on either.

firsttimer
04-02-2004, 19:29
Is Skin so soft sold as an insect repellent? Or has it just been found to repel?
I don't know any Avon sellers- is it available in any shops?

Amirah
04-02-2004, 19:53
It's not an insect repellent but it has been found out several years ago it actually repels against bug bites (it was in the news on television and in the newspapers). It works. Go to their website avon.com if you can't find it any stores.

kevinprewett
04-02-2004, 20:35

Is Skin so soft sold as an insect repellent? Or has it just been found to repel?
I don't know any Avon sellers- is it available in any shops?

No its not 'officialy' a repellant ( and Avon do not like it being referred to as one!) but it does work. I alsways use it when I am down in the SW of Fl.[msnwink]

pbensur
04-02-2004, 22:04
Yes - the Skin So Soft from Avon really does work! A few years ago I bought a Skin So Soft sun screen lotion that had bug repellant in it - great for the kids. I don't know if Avon still sells this product - it's a good one.

By the way, thanks for clearing that up Blott - for the record, the Neet smells really bad too!