PDA

View Full Version : Gas and Rules

gofer
26-01-2004, 16:59
Hi, I have two questions that maybe someone can answer.
1) What sort of gas do I need to put in my mid size rental car, regular, super or that other one, the name of which escapes me? Or doesn't it matter?
2)When driving along roads (i'm thinking International drive here)can you turn right across the centre solid lines? I.e. to enter a restaurant car park etc on the other side of the road? Or do you have to find a convenient place to turn round and come back? I saw drivers cutting across last year but it just didn't look safe to me, stopping on a dual carriageway waiting for a gap in the opposing traffic.
Thanks......

Andy & Arlene
26-01-2004, 18:19
With regards to gas, we usually put in the cheapest - regular. Never had any problems. To be honest, I don't know what the difference is between the cheapest and the dearest - apart from the price.

kevinprewett
26-01-2004, 18:45
quote:Originally posted by gofer

1) What sort of gas do I need to put in my mid size rental car, regular, super or that other one, the name of which escapes me? Or doesn't it matter?
2)When driving along roads (i'm thinking International drive here)can you turn right across the centre solid lines? I.e. to enter a restaurant car park etc on the other side of the road? Or do you have to find a convenient place to turn round and come back? I saw drivers cutting across last year but it just didn't look safe to me, stopping on a dual carriageway waiting for a gap in the opposing traffic.
Thanks......
Hi,
Regarding gas - no problem with regular, don't see any point putting more expensive gas into a rental car when it makes little or no difference.
I wouldn't contemplate cutting across International or any other with solid lines. You will usually find a 'central'lane allowing you to cross to the other side if it is allowed. If not find somewhere to turn and go back - its much safer!
Kevin[msnwink]

caseyd
26-01-2004, 19:13
Some older bigger 8 cylinder U.S. luxury cars (cadillacs, town cars, grand marquis, etc.) need the premium higher octane gas. But almost all new cars that are used for rent cars run perfectly on unleaded regular gas. In fact, that is what is usually recommended for them.

blott
26-01-2004, 19:20
With regard to road markings, they are very similar to the ones in the UK, particularly lane markings.

In places like International Drive, there are specific turn left slots which are signed with left turn arrows. You should use these for safety as that's what they're there for!

You're better off sticking to the road rules in Florida as you don't want to get a traffic violation ticket, although that's not necessarily what some of the locals or first time driving in Florida tourists do...

kevinprewett
26-01-2004, 23:54
quote:Originally posted by gofer

Thanks......
Hi,
dont worry about the gas just use the regular..the car doesn't need any other kind.
About crossing the centre of I. drive..don't its not worth the risk, just drive a little ways up the road you'll find a left turn that will let you cross to otherside with no problem.. The police & sherrifs dept. won't care that you are a tourist!
Kevin[msnwink]

gofer
28-01-2004, 19:52
Thanks for the replies guys, I know where I stand now.

firsttimer
06-02-2004, 18:12
Hmm, if you are on a main road, isn't it left you are wanting to turn to do a U turn etc??

blott
06-02-2004, 18:28
Yes, it is - the opposite way to the UK.