PDA

View Full Version : Ford mustang convertible

Tanningqueen
26-04-2011, 00:49
Hi there, just wondered if anyone has rented the ford mustang convertible? Were renting this in June so wanted to get an idea of what the boot space, back seat space, drive, fuel consumption ect...... It's myself, husband and 18month daughter travelling so will be taking a carseat and buggy with us plus luggage, an idea of space would help as were only driving from the airport to hotel and back again with the luggage. just need to make sure we can fit it all when we land lol.

Thanks in advance..... If u have pictures of when you had the rental this would be great if you upload them for us to all see. Xx [msnsmile2]

The Bodger
26-04-2011, 03:14
We rented a nice red convertible in October 2009. It was the third time we have had a Mustang but the first convertible. We could only fit one large suitcase in the boot and had to put the other on the backseat. Other times we could fit two in the boot but due to the stowage area when the roof comes down the boot space is a lot less. To give you an idea of back seat space, two adults could fit in although head room is a bit limited, but for a 18 month old should be no problem. The 2012 version is out now [they always a year in advance on version years] but I would think dimensions would'nt be that different, you could always check on the USA Ford website. They are using a new engine thats smaller but more powerful and economical than the one we had, they reckon it will get up to 31mpg, I think we averaged 22mpg. I loved driving the Mustang, its easy to drive and enjoyed driving with the roof down, one touch of the button and it all happens, the rear windows come down first, then the front, then the roof. Just one word of caution, if you going to go over 30mph with the roof down make sure there is no loose items like maps etc or they may get blown out the car.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/The Bodger/2011425231236_tmpphp5UuTa9.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/The Bodger/2011425231257_tmpphpKAEUB8.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/The Bodger/2011425231316_tmpphpqqHqES.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/The Bodger/2011425231357_tmpphpwjrnXY.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/The Bodger/2011425231412_tmpphpXkUFUj.jpg

SteveandJan
26-04-2011, 15:45
we rented a convertible (not mustang) the first time we went to Florida and that was when we first fell in love with Florida. To rent a convertible mustang is on my list to do!

roger
26-04-2011, 16:09
Charlotte and Josh have a Mustang. Lovely car! When they are back from school I'll get some photos of the trunk space with luggage to give you a better idea of space.

This is now Alamo's preferred car type for the convertible.

Tonish
26-04-2011, 19:35
We've got one sitting in the driveway at the minute. We picked it up on Saturday at Fort Myers and made it to the Villa with the following

2 adults
2 children (12 and 9)
1 Large suitcase
1 Mid size suitcase (both suitcases fitted in the boot)
2 kids rucksacks (full to bulging).
5 large brown paper supermarket bags (we stopped on the way for these). One fitted in boot, the others had to be distributed around us.

As long as you don't have 2 huge suitcases you should be fine. It's a nice car, drives better than most of the rentals we normally get, although, to be fair, it's the first time for years that we haven't had to have an SUV or people carrier so I don't have a lot of experience of regular cars.

Word of minor caution; when we went to pick up (booked gold package) the lady said "I see you've booked our standard convertible, we can upgrade you to a nice mustang convertible, only an extra $15 per day". I pointed out that it actually said Mustang on our rental docs and she flustered a bit, then said OK just go and choose one from the lot.

I've found on the last few occasions, that having the Gold package often seems to upset the prople behind the desk and they can get quite narky when you politely decline all their efforts to sell extras. It's fairly obvious and understandable that they have targets for selling all the extra bits, but they do keep trying even though you've already paid for all you want. This was the first time someone has tried to upgrade me to something I'd already paid for, however, and if it hadn't said mustang on the docs I would probably have paid up.

Tanningqueen
26-04-2011, 23:37
Originally posted by Tonish
We've got one sitting in the driveway at the minute. We picked it up on Saturday at Fort Myers and made it to the Villa with the following

If u have picture to share this would be appreciated.....seeing as though your there now you should have the new 2012 mustang lol.

Thank you all for the replies this has definitely helped with giving us an idea of what to expect. Also I'm sure others will find this post helpful to help decide on what car to hire. I really cannot wait to cruise around Miami in the mustang... Will be one of the best holidays I think.

sunseeker
27-04-2011, 00:46
Originally posted by The Bodger
We rented a nice red convertible in October 2009. It was the third time we have had a Mustang but the first convertible. We could only fit one large suitcase in the boot and had to put the other on the backseat. Other times we could fit two in the boot but due to the stowage area when the roof comes down the boot space is a lot less.

We had a Mustang last year and i didn't think the roof folded into the boot.

Dave

The Bodger
28-04-2011, 00:27
The roof folds down into a compartment thats in the top part of the boot, its the only place it can go!!!Thats why its a smaller boot than the normal car.
Miami is certainly the place to cruise around in a Mustang convertible. Make sure you drive down Ocean Drive on South Beach. If you want to test your nerve try the I-95 from the airport area at rush hour, not for the faint hearted!

Tanningqueen
28-04-2011, 00:36
Were actually going to do a day trip and drive up to Orlando to go to some of the shopping outlets. This is where were hoping to test the car and really enjoy the convertible especially as it's a long motorway drive.

Tonish
28-04-2011, 01:26
Originally posted by Tanningqueen

Originally posted by Tonish

If u have picture to share this would be appreciated.....seeing as though your there now you should have the new 2012 mustang lol.

Thank you all for the replies this has definitely helped with giving us an idea of what to expect. Also I'm sure others will find this post helpful to help decide on what car to hire. I really cannot wait to cruise around Miami in the mustang... Will be one of the best holidays I think.

I will, I promise, but I've just spent 20 minutes trying to resize the photos to fit and I've given up in frustration. I can say that the roof doesn't interfere with the boot space at all.

Katys Grandad
28-04-2011, 06:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tanningqueen
Were actually going to do a day trip and drive up to Orlando to go to some of the shopping outlets. This is where were hoping to test the car and really enjoy the convertible especially as it's a long motorway drive.
[/quote]

I've rented a lot of convertibles and to be honest the Interstate is the last place I'd have the roof down especially with a young child in the back. Once you get above about 50 mph they're terribly draughty, noisy and you feel (and probably are) very vulnerable with all the trucks overtaking you.

Perfect for cruising around Captiva though.[msnsmile2]

Susan J
28-04-2011, 13:11
WE have had convertibles- and just about every car over the last 24 years. THe Mustang is not the 3 litre jobby that you can open up and fly- but its a nice car to drive- they all are, they are generally quite new!
HOWEVER I wouldn't have a convertible [and of the 2, I quite like the Sebring- more roomy ] with a young child. We had one when my son was about 4. After 2 days we exchanged it. IT was uncomfortable to get in, after it had been parked, baking in the sun so we used to put a towel on the back seat so it would be cooler to sit on. My son ended up with it around his head like an old woman because [and I quote] " the wind is pulling all my hair out and I don't want to have a shiny head"
It was uncomfortable in the back, and was also more of a 2=2 than a 4 seater. I hated arriving anywhere looking windswept, you have to put tons of Suntan cream on, and get seat belt marks. On the plus side- driving home late at night with the roof down and warm air swirling in your hair is lovely. We were once driving along when a rocket re entered- the sonic bang was really loud and we thought we had crashed for a second ha ha. Give me a nice big 4x4 with all the gismo's- the Escalade is very nice.

roger
29-04-2011, 16:00
Josh has taken some pictures of the trunk space. Because of the shape of the trunk we could only get 1 large case, plus a small case. By using medium cases, we got 3 in, plus there was space for 2-3 smaller cases on top (we just had 1 smaller case). This is a new Mustang, the same as the model used by Alamo. As you can see, the roof does not fold in to the trunk on this model.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Roger/2011429115156_DSC_0042.JPG
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Roger/201142911528_DSC_0048.JPG
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Roger/2011429115217_DSC_0049.JPG

Tanningqueen
30-04-2011, 00:34
This is excellent! Thanks for the pics. It's actually bigger than I thought. Fitting 3 medium suitcases is more than we need, were taking 2 medium size and 2 bags so should all fit. Thanks again

Tonish
30-04-2011, 03:28
Can I add a serious note of caution here? Yesterday we took a trip from Captiva to Fort Myers beach (specifically to go to Hooters for lunch!). It was a nice day, temp about 90, fairly sunny. journey about 30-40 mins. Mrs T and Annabel (9) were in the back seat and both got almost roasted alive. Believe me, Mrs T can lie in the sun from 9am to 6pm without moving and it drives me mad. She's not happy unless she has been slow roasted and finishes each day more lobster red than the previous. She found this almost too much and both had their faces and legs burnt quite badly.

The back seats don't benefit from any shade at all. Theo and I in the front were absolutely fine, air-con on, breeze in the hair, all very pleasant, but back seats exceptionally uncomfortable.

I'm a bit concerned that with an 18 mth old you could be cruising along in the summer in Orlando 100 degree heat, assuming all is OK, but slowly cooking your child. Just something to consider. Personally, following yesterdays experience, I would consider putting your daughter in the front rather than the back.

The wings weren't very good this time, Hooters not as hot as it used to be! Burgers were good though.

chrizzy100
30-04-2011, 07:35
We own a softtop which my Grandson loves we don't have heavy highway traffic where we live.. but we never put the top down on the highway with him in the car..I've see highway junk hit our car I'd hate to have that land on someone in the car.

Tanningqueen
30-04-2011, 15:45
So with the roof up and aircon on does this not reach the back? I don't mind putting the seat at the front if it's safe. I guess we need to think about this a lot more....... My husband has said that during the day we will be at the beach or poolside so won't be driving around in the heat but during the evening we will be heading out To go to dinner and see the Miami area. The only time we will probably be outdriving in the day is when we head up to Orlando and this is what concerns me as it is a 4hr drive? also there will be a day or 2 when we will go to the zoo and shopping in the Miami area.

roger
30-04-2011, 16:23
With the roof on the car gets very cool quickly as the air-con works well. Most people in the hotter months keep the roof on for longer journeys especially on the busier highways. Morning and evenings are a great time to have the roof off when it's cooler and the sun not so high in the sky.

SDJ
01-05-2011, 04:21
Give me an air conditioned car with a roof anytime in Florida, especially when it is hot. It is so uncomfortable having the sun baking your head and shoulders, plus your hair blowing into your eyes. I would be worried with a small child having that exposure.

We have a convertible in the UK and during the past couple of weeks we have been able to drive with the roof off. However, some of the time, it was just so hot that it was most uncomfortable. I am an absolute sun worshipper but whoa, when it comes to a convertible in Florida, no thank you.[msnwink]

Sandra

Katys Grandad
12-05-2011, 15:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish

Word of minor caution; when we went to pick up (booked gold package) the lady said "I see you've booked our standard convertible, we can upgrade you to a nice mustang convertible, only an extra $15 per day". I pointed out that it actually said Mustang on our rental docs and she flustered a bit, then said OK just go and choose one from the lot.
[/quote]

I had the identical experience last weekend except when I went to the garage the Mustangs weren't amongst the other convertibles to pick from. As it happens I prefer the Sebring so it didn't matter to me but it seems that there is something going on here.

martek
13-08-2011, 08:41
Hi
Anybody had a Mustang this year, any updates, we have one booked with Alamo for September and wondering what we will get??
Any more photo's.
Regards David.

roger
13-08-2011, 14:10
You should still get the Mustang. Generally the latest model.

Tonish
30-10-2011, 10:20

At last, mustang pics attached from Easter in Captiva. My pc skills are not the best, but hopefully you can see these properly. It looks good in the driveway and there's room for a 9 yr old in the boot!

Katys Grandad
30-10-2011, 10:42
Unless I'm mistaken, that's Andy Rosse Lane isn't it Peter? I was down there a few weeks ago having a drink at the Mucky Duck!

Tonish
30-10-2011, 11:46
Unless I'm mistaken, that's Andy Rosse Lane isn't it Peter? I was down there a few weeks ago having a drink at the Mucky Duck!

It is indeed, well spotted! That's our second time in that particular villa. We've stayed in another couple in the same street - it means we don't need to use the car at all, the Mucky Duck is only yards away! As is the beach, a small shop and about six restaurants which you can walk to in about 2 minutes. I wish I was there right now, but it will be next Easter or summer before we get to it again. Orlando at Christmas is our next trip.