PDA

View Full Version : New york ?

dynomike red
19-01-2011, 22:28
Hi
First of all i know this is an Orlando and Florida forum, I have asked many questions regarding allsorts in these areas, and had many wonderful replies from the great members on this forum so please i would be very grateful for any advice regarding New York [msnsmile2]
we are looking to book for the 24th November 2 adults and 2 children,
we would like to fly from Manchester. Could anyone tell me if it’s better to book in advance or leave it till nearer the time also could anyone give me any tips as to area to stay in, hotel, restraunts,bars and the like. We are going in November and i know it is cold but how cold are we talking [msnscared].We looking at paying £2000-£2500(cheaper if pos)
Any help would be gratefully received
Thanks
(sorry if this is in the wrong area [msnembarrased])
Mike

SteveandJan
19-01-2011, 23:56
I have been to New York early December and it was quite cold, we had some snow. The weather is very much like the UK and they do have cold winters also. The cold did not deter us, we had a wonderful time and we stayed at the Avalon hotel, which was one block from the Empire State Building. Good quality hotels cost a fair amount, so I would avoid cheap hotels. Do your research on trip advisor for guest feedback and of course you can't please everyone all of the time, so some comments you have to take with a pinch of salt. We did a great deal of christmas shopping and unfortunately didn't get to the comedy club. However, we did see a show "hairspray" on Broadway. A great trip and can't wait to return.[msnsmile]

dynomike red
20-01-2011, 00:03
Thanks for the reply SteveandJan
Will defo be doing some research on trip advisor What did you think of your hotel? Would you recommend it?
Thanks
Mike

Susan J
20-01-2011, 02:02
Last time we went, we stayed at Le Parker Meridien, just off 5th, and very near central Park- really lovely hotel, fabulous burger bar in basement, and lovely breakfast- was next to Carnegie Hall, and near a little diner that is on the Tropicana advert- had a nice breakfast there too. It was great for shopping, had a fab view looking straight over Central park. Quiet, comfortable , modern and fair size rooms.

dynomike red
20-01-2011, 02:41
Hi Susan j
will check that one out
When is thanksgiving? is it the third Friday in November? we have been told to avoid that weekend as it is very busy
Is this true
thanks
Mike

kitch50
20-01-2011, 02:55
We have been to New York a number of times at Christmastime and usually stay in the Belvedere which I can highly recommend. It is on 9th and 48th Street. We also stayed in the Wellington once, it is next to Carnegie Hall opposite the Carnegie Deli which is a must if you want to experience the real New York .... my picture with the owner Sandy was on the wall somewhere in there.

We booked in the February to go in the December .... it is a very popular place to go around Thanksgiving and Christmastime and the good hotels get booked up very quickly so personally I would seriously start to look now.

autumnc
20-01-2011, 03:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dynomike red
Hi Susan j
will check that one out
When is thanksgiving? is it the third Friday in November? we have been told to avoid that weekend as it is very busy
Is this true
thanks
Mike
[/quote]

Thanksgiving in the USA is the fourth Thursday in November, so 2011 is on November 24th. We stayed at the Sheraton just off Times Square a couple of years ago which was a great location and the hotel was really nice.

It might also be worth you looking into a private condo or apartment rather than two hotel rooms or a family suite.

Katys Grandad
20-01-2011, 07:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Last time we went, we stayed at Le Parker Meridien, just off 5th, and very near central Park- really lovely hotel, fabulous burger bar in basement, and lovely breakfast- was next to Carnegie Hall, and near a little diner that is on the Tropicana advert- had a nice breakfast there too. It was great for shopping, had a fab view looking straight over Central park. Quiet, comfortable , modern and fair size rooms.
[/quote]

Know it well - Breakfast at Norma's is as good as it gets in NYC. The Parker Meridien is nice but certainly not cheap. Last time we had breakfast there my bill came to nearly $100 but worth it for a treat.

I wouldn't describe it as "just off 5th" though Susan.

SteveandJan
20-01-2011, 14:33
The Avalon was a nice small hotel. Rooms, clean and furnished well and service was great.

Appledore
20-01-2011, 15:52
Stayed at the Novotel just off Times Square. Brilliant location and really decent hotel. Staff we're really friendly! Just make sure you take plenty of warm clothes. Went once in December and I froze because I hadn't taken enough warm clothing.

Elaine

dynomike red
20-01-2011, 17:04
Thanks for all the replies very helpful
Wife wants to know if the Friday after thanksgiving is sales day in the shops(credit card meltdown[msnscared])as we will be doing Christmas shopping all so are there any districts we need to avoid for hotels
thanks
Mike

Madabouttigger
20-01-2011, 22:12
I can vouch for the Belvadire, it has coffee makers, fridges and microwaves in all rooms so handy if you want to pop back for a snack.

The burger joint in the Parker Meridien has got to be a must - the best ever, and yes the sales start the day after thanks giving. Try reading some of the trip reports, you may find them intresting. [msnwink]

Susan J
21-01-2011, 01:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
[/quote]

Know it well - Breakfast at Norma's is as good as it gets in NYC. The Parker Meridien is nice but certainly not cheap. Last time we had breakfast there my bill came to nearly $100 but worth it for a treat.

I wouldn't describe it as "just off 5th" though Susan.
[/quote]

I would. When we came out at the 'other' entrance, and walked to the end of the street, FAO Schwartz was almost opposite. Yep Breakfast wasn't cheap, but is good. The Burger joint has been hailed best in NY by one of the TV Chefs -heston whatever :)

Katys Grandad
21-01-2011, 09:07
It's actually between 6th & 7th Avenues so not off 5th at all but I see what you mean.

I think the burger place is a brilliant piece of marketing. Keep it a secret and those 'in the know' will flock there for what they see as exclusivity and then tell all the people they know about it. The real truth is that everybody already knows it's there and the burgers are really good (and at $13 for a cheeseburger & fries they ought to be!) but not really anything you can't get at a dozen places within walking distance. Bernie Madoff employed a very similar tactic with his 'investments' and took billions off people who thought they were getting something nobody else knew about before it all went pear-shaped.

I see that the 'massage' that David Beckham had which is now subject of a law suit took place when he stayed there. He should just have taken a burger up to his room instead.[msnwink]

jimiansville
21-01-2011, 11:53
New York is one of our favourite places to visit. We have been many times over the years and have seen lots of changes.

It gets very cold in winter with massive snow storms so take plenty of warm clothing. We normally stay at the NY Hilton near Radio City, the Crowne Plaza right on Times Sq, the Belvedere near Times Sq, or the Empire next to the Lincoln Centre. Hotel rates in New York can be high but you can get some good rates by searching around.

Lots of sales the day after Thanksgiving which is Black Friday but be prepared for the shops being crowded with people looking for bargains!

One of our favourite places to go late at night after a trip to the theatre is The View which is a revolving restaurant and bar at the top of the Marriott Marquis Hotel at Times Sq. You can have a meal or just go for a drink in the bar. Lots of window seats for two. The views of the NYC skyline are amazing.

bmitch
21-01-2011, 13:28
Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for a celebration (40th)in NYC that is about mid to low high range - thanks.

gpullan
21-01-2011, 14:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bmitch
Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for a celebration (40th)in NYC that is about mid to low high range - thanks.
[/quote]
TAO!!

Amazing thai restaurant and has featured on tv quite a few times (Sex and the City) for one. It has a 50ft budda against the back wall. The bar is buzzing and it's the place to be seen but in no way 'up itself'.

We loved it there.

bmitch
21-01-2011, 14:05
Thanks Garry -wil put it on the list!

dynomike red
21-01-2011, 14:45
Thanks for all the info guys, Wow i have a lot to check up on trip advisor!! The Avalon looks good value and the room looks big for 4 people
Can any one recommend a "WOW" restaurant (not to pricy [msnwink]) for girls 11 and 15, something they won’t get back home
Cheers
Mike