PDA

View Full Version : Pets

hall-67
19-01-2004, 04:55
When we move to FL we will be taking our boxer dog with us , she is part of the family after all .

I have found out the paperwork required to enter FL from the UK , but what i cant find are which airlines take pets and honest accounts of people that have done it.

We want to travel on the same flight as our dog , obviously .

It would be nice to hear from someone that has gone through the process and hear how they found it from leaving the uk to getting through immigration in FL and which airline they used and what they would recommend .

Thankyou

Ruth
19-01-2004, 10:23
I think most people use an airline like British Airways. I cannot help about the cost but the process should not be too difficult. You may be best to use a company that does all the paperwork for you. If you ask you vet in the UK they should be able to recommend someone. I would recommend you get a UK Pet Passport for your dog in case anything happens, then you can bring her back without having to do the 6 months quarentine. You would need to get her identichippped (if she isn't already done), vaccinated for rabies (which she will probably need to have done for the US anyway), then 30 days later get a blood test done for rabies. Assuming she has a high enough rabies titre to pass this test, then your passport starts 6 months from the date the blood sample was taken. I would start this process as soon as possible, it is not too expensive and if you end up not using the passport and she never comes back to the UK it does not matter.

steph_goodrum
19-01-2004, 11:45
I think other people have use Britannia who have taken their pets over. Not all airlines can/will carry them and it may not be all flights so it's probably down to searches on the net and ringing the airlines.

hall-67
20-01-2004, 01:11
I would be really interested to hear from anyone that has done it and gone through it ?

Thanks

SteveDonovan
10-02-2004, 22:37
I came out here with my two dogs in October and found it very simple. Both dogs had microchips already. All they required was rabies vacination 1 month before travelling. I also started them on heart worm treatment one month before coming. This is very important as we do not have heart worm in the UK and it is very common here and can be fatal!
One week before flying they went to the vets who issued a fit to fly certificate and that was that.
I flew with BA as they were the only airline where the dogs could travel as excess luggage. They flew in the hold but I checked them in and picked them up with my luggage on arrival.
I had the containers made and for the two of those it cost £150. I have a lurcher and an Irish Terrier. For them to fly it cost £140 per dog.
You cannot travel during the summer months due to the heat.BA were very helpful and everything went very smoothly. They arrived safe and sound at the other end very hot but very happy. I would like to add they are both young dogs and the lurcher is especially nervous but he was fine.
One thing I would recommend is taking a cover for the travel cage as people at the airport are not very considerate and kept poking the cages scaring the dogs even more.
My husband and I own a property with 5 acres and something else to take in to consideration is there is a leash law here and dogs are not permitted off them in public places. Very few places have 'dog parks' so make sure you get a home with a fenced back yard and this will be the only place to really exercise your dog.

chrizzy100
10-02-2004, 22:47
quote:Originally posted by SteveDonovan

I came out here with my two dogs in October and found it very simple. Both dogs had microchips already. All they required was rabies vacination 1 month before travelling. I also started them on heart worm treatment one month before coming. This is very important as we do not have heart worm in the UK and it is very common here and can be fatal!
One week before flying they went to the vets who issued a fit to fly certificate and that was that.
I flew with BA as they were the only airline where the dogs could travel as excess luggage. They flew in the hold but I checked them in and picked them up with my luggage on arrival.
I had the containers made and for the two of those it cost £150. I have a lurcher and an Irish Terrier. For them to fly it cost £140 per dog.
You cannot travel during the summer months due to the heat.BA were very helpful and everything went very smoothly. They arrived safe and sound at the other end very hot but very happy. I would like to add they are both young dogs and the lurcher is especially nervous but he was fine.
One thing I would recommend is taking a cover for the travel cage as people at the airport are not very considerate and kept poking the cages scaring the dogs even more.
My husband and I own a property with 5 acres and something else to take in to consideration is there is a leash law here and dogs are not permitted off them in public places. Very few places have 'dog parks' so make sure you get a home with a fenced back yard and this will be the only place to really exercise your dog.

My friend in Devenport takes her dog to the dog beach for a cool in the summer....:D

I left my dogs back in the UK they were too old to travel......I must come clean and say...I'm glad I did that now.........I think my pet owning days are over......its just fish from now on......

Nicjmc
18-02-2004, 08:53
I also brought my 2 dogs over with me and everything was fine.One of my dogs was fairly elderly,so i took the vets advice and had him tranquilized before the flight.One tip is make sure you fix the plastic type water dishes to the container and fill with ice cubes,so that once on the plane there is actually some water in there as it can get warm in the hold as previously stated.If you want any further info e-mail me as i know how nervewracking it can be.I was more concerned about the dogs,than moving to a new country!![msnscared]