PDA

View Full Version : Alternative schedule for Splendid China

Nostromo
18-01-2004, 16:28
Now that Splendid China has closed, we need to think of an alternative place to go on the day scheduled for it, which is a Sunday. We are doing all the big parks and some small ones and so I boiled down the possibilities to two venues. I thought we could spend the afternoon and evening either in the OLD TOWN ENTERTAINMENT COMPLEX or the POINTE ORLANDO area. There are kids, adults and seniors in our group and both these places seem to have something for everyone. If you had to make a choice just between these two, which one would you go for?

blott
18-01-2004, 17:03
Why not do both? Old Town is interesting but it comes more alive in the evenings than during the day. Pity you can't reschedule slightly to make it either a Friday or Saturday and then you'd get the Old Town Cruise of vintage cars, some of which are truly amazing. Friday night is for vehicles from 1973 and Saturday is for the older ones.

tinkerbell
18-01-2004, 20:30
Not sure that I'd want to spend a full day at either. What about heading out after breakfast to Pointe Orlando, do some shopping, maybe take in the Wonderworks Museum next door. Then head home for a swim and change of clothes and back out again for Old Town, as Blott says it's much more lively at night!!

Just an idea!

Nostromo
18-01-2004, 22:27
Thanks people. It is just that the seniors in my party are getting on a bit and park hopping won't really suit them. Old Town seems closer and more traditional in terms of entertainment, but I have heard of the occasional dodgy character hanging about. I am sort of hoping that this issue will not be too big a problem on Sunday.

After looking at yout opinions, I decided that we will go to Pointe Orlando in the morning as Tink suggests and take it from there. If people are really upto it, we can always come back to the Old Town in the evening.

Ruth
19-01-2004, 00:13
I have been to Old Town many times and can't remember seeing anyone dodgy. Maybe I have been lucky but I would not be worried if I were you[:I] I have to say I agree with Blott, a Friday or Saturday evening at Old Town is the best time to go:)

espritdave
19-01-2004, 17:56
I think that this is great afternoon or evenings entertainment.

Costs a $1 to get in, free parking and even if you don't bet, it's a fantastic sport to watch.

You will however get a slice of "real" Orlando. Like any racing venue, be it Ascot or the Walthamstow greyhounds, it has its fair share of characters.

http://www.orlandojaialai.com/whatis.htm