PDA

View Full Version : Which SIM Card for Internet Access?

Tony G
05-11-2010, 18:11
Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that we're returning to beloved Orlando in Feb/Mar 2011.

This time, I want to make sure my iPhone has an internet connection wherever I go, so I have bought a 3G dongle and travel router.

When I get there, I'm going to need a US SIM card that has pay as you go internet access, and I'd ideally like to reuse it on subsequent trips.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an internet-enabled SIM card and where to purchase?

Anyone who already has a 3G device that can advise me as to network performance would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

spiderman
05-11-2010, 21:27
Simple Mobile do a package that costs $60 a month, no contract (+$13 initial charge) and includes unlimited nationwide talk, text and data. The only issue is that Simple 3G internet uses AWS 1700 mhz band which is specific to north America so you'll need to make sure your iphone will support it.

Simple Mobile uses the t-mobile network. I've never used them so can't comment on speeds and reliability. I think you'll need an unlocked iphone as well.

Another option is that AT&T do a data package that costs $20 for 100mb. You'll just need to buy a sim card - if you check out ebay item 190437106688.

mfairhurst
06-11-2010, 13:18
We go to our villa and travel quite a bit would a 3g dongle be ok for our laptop and would we have to buy one in Usa that work there also we are going to Tenerife at christmas and new year as we have guests in our villa and we are going to buy a dongle there are they all compatable to us in each place or do we have to buy on from each place .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

spiderman
08-11-2010, 17:51
You could get one from the UK but it would cost alot.. e.g T Mobile would charge £7.50 per mb. Roughly 5 to 10 emails.

Virgin USA charge $80 for a dongle and then $40 per month for unlimited access. No contract.

For the price it would be worth getting internet access in your villa. I know when I book holidays I always go for a place that has free access.