PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place by the ocean to live?

jennypugli
17-01-2004, 04:54
Hello! I know this is a very broad question but I am looking for a very broad answer. My mother is looking to move to Florida sometime in the next 1-2 years. We currently live in Pennsylvania and honestly have no idea where to move to! All we know is that she wants to live by the water. Proabably close to the ocean. Not on the ocean necessarily. Or the gulf. I'm not sure if this is true but we heard that the Ocean side of the state is not the best place to live because of the 'Drug' trafficking. We heard the gulf side of the state may be better. Anyway, I literally would like to know where the 'NICE' places in florida are. Cities, towns, suburbs. If you can help please respond it would be more than GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you so much!

esprit
17-01-2004, 07:29
I would avoid Miami which I presume you are referring to but there are nice places that side including Fort Lauderdale!! On the Gulf side, Clearwater, Sarasota, Englewood, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers, Naples, all very nice. Property is much more expensive than Central Florida. however, especially anywhere at all near the sea. Waterview, well you are talking megabucks.

Ruth
17-01-2004, 11:39
I love Cape Haze, the areas near Englewood and Port Charlotte are fantastic and would be great to live in:)

kevinprewett
18-01-2004, 22:32
quote:Originally posted by jennypugli

Hello! I know this is a very broad question but I am looking for a very broad answer. My mother is looking to move to Florida sometime in the next 1-2 years. We currently live in Pennsylvania and honestly have no idea where to move to! All we know is that she wants to live by the water. Proabably close to the ocean. Not on the ocean necessarily. Or the gulf. I'm not sure if this is true but we heard that the Ocean side of the state is not the best place to live because of the "Drug" trafficking. We heard the gulf side of the state may be better. Anyway, I literally would like to know where the "NICE" places in florida are. Cities, towns, suburbs. If you can help please respond it would be more than GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you so much!

Do have a look at the South West. Sanibel/Captiva are delightful but expensive but there are good properties to br founf on the outskirts of Ft.Myers, try some of the areas & communities off 'McGregor' (main road leading from Sanibel to Ft.Myers) down by the Caloosahatchee river.

Kevin

jennypugli
22-01-2004, 19:02
Thank you all so much you have been very, very helpful and I greatly appreciate it!!!!!! Anymore suggestions keep them coming!
Thanks so much!
Jennifer

[msnsmile2]

tuzanne
11-03-2004, 22:01
I was interested in your comments about living near the sea. We have just bought a villa in central Orlando mainly to rent out. We are both around 50 years old at the moment and have a dream of living in a villa in Florida for 5 months over the English winter and returning to the UK during summer when we retire. This will all of course depend on health and finances at the time. When this time comes we will sell our Orlando villa a buy one near the coast but still within driving distance of Orlando. We liked the look of St Pete's beach and Clearwater. Also Sarasota is an option. Is there anyone out there who has done this and can give advice. Are houses more expensive in these areas than a villa very near Disney?

We also would need advice on medical insurance. We have a BUPA policy in the UK but I assume we would have to take out a different type if we lived for part of year in USA. Also do you need a visa and USA Driving Licence if you intend to stay more than 2 to 3 weeks?

esprit
12-03-2004, 05:33
If you are intending to stay more than 3 months, you need a B2 visa. Quite easy to get. You wouldnt need a US driving license unless you take up permanent residence though if you want your own car, you will need one to insure it. Your US license needs renewing each visit but you dont have to re-take the test.
Some UK insurance policies will cover you for long stay. I know gap year students use these. Or there is a health policy from Global for expats.
St Petes, Clearwater and Sarasota, all nice, all more expensive than Disney if you are at all near the sea.

seashellmary
04-04-2004, 16:19
You can buy close to the beaches of St Pete to Clearwater a 3 bed two bath with pool for around $250K. We live in Largo, just 3/5 mins from Indian Shores, I walk there often from the house (takes a bit longer!) and we paid under $200K for ours 3 yrs ago. Taxes are higher in Pinellas County though but bearable. If you want to rent out, you need to be very close to beach or waterfront.

seashellmary
04-04-2004, 16:21
by the way, the east coast is just as nice, there are zillions of nice families who live in the miami dade area, and they are not all drug traffikers, why, I even know a BRIT there! Problem is it's busy, expensive for better areas but has great flights from Europe in and to the Caribbean out.

esprit
04-04-2004, 20:27
Can you rent short term in the Pinellas?? I didnt think they allowed it, certainly in St Petes/Clearwater.