PDA

View Full Version : ABSOLUTE BEST Dinner Show to go to

lisad
14-01-2004, 02:17
Hi all please give me any information you can ASAP about what you feel has been your BEST dinner show experience and why in the Orlando area. We are thinking of taking a party bus from Cocoa Beach full of people Saturday night for my 30th birthday and eating at a dinner show on our first stop. I wsnt to pick the right place for the group. Any ideas greatly appreaciated THANKS!

Maureen Edwards
14-01-2004, 02:42
I am sure people will have varying views according to personal taste.
I have done the Arabian Nights and although the show was nice (if you like horses ) the food was awful. So bad in fact we couldn't eat it.

I have heard that The Dixie Stampede show is really good, but haven't been yet. I am sure someone who has, will post their views.

Whichever you choose have a fantastic 30th Birthday[msnwink]

esprit
14-01-2004, 06:01
I saw the Dixie Stampede Xmas show and it was cheesey and pretty average. Sleuths isnt bad. The food is edible and it is a bit of a laugh. But the only show really worth going to in Orlando isnt a dinner show (eat before or after, dinner show food is pretty bad anyway )- it is La Nouba ( Cirque du Soleil).

DaveL
14-01-2004, 12:39
We have been to a few of the shows to check them out. There entertainment value is only just average and the food is as you would expect mass produced cheap catering. Given the amount it costs for a family I think you could get a much better night out elsewhere.

Regards Dave

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-01-2004, 16:25
Is Tony and Tina's Wedding still on at the Buena Vista Outlet malls as I'ver heard it is good. Anyone been?

florida4sun
14-01-2004, 16:46
Disney's Hoop De Do Review is by far the best. Very talented performers.

Martin

quote:Originally posted by lisad

Hi all please give me any information you can ASAP about what you feel has been your BEST dinner show experience and why in the Orlando area. We are thinking of taking a party bus from Cocoa Beach full of people Saturday night for my 30th birthday and eating at a dinner show on our first stop. I wsnt to pick the right place for the group. Any ideas greatly appreaciated THANKS!

lisad
14-01-2004, 17:43
Wow so many differing opinions. I THANK YOU. I am a native whose hit all the theme parks and everything on I drive over the past 30 years but NEVER a dinner show. I agree the food won't be the best and I guess I don't really expect it to, but I had hoped we could find a place with edible enough food and drinks with a decent show. Please keep ideas coming through the next 24 hours (decision time) and if not a dinner show then pleae post some good ideas for an awesome place to dine and why for a large group? And thank you for the well wishes.

DaveL
15-01-2004, 00:10
I'd forgotten about Disney's Hoop De Do Review, don't know if you would get a large party in at short notice but it is quite at the moment. If the shows the same they pick about 5 members of the audience to go up on the stage and take part in the show. If your a large party you might have a word and get one of your members picked. The real bonus is that being Disney the food is quite good.

Regards Dave

tinkerbell
15-01-2004, 02:24
We went to the Pirates show over xmas and Dolly Parton. Although the Dixe Stampede was not the usual showing (xmas theme!), I didn't find it particularly special!

Pirates on the other hand was fab!! I think it's a case of VFM, Value for money! Dolly Parton's charge a higher rate than the others for the same thing, less the free wine and beer! Pirates was a great fun night out!

lisad
15-01-2004, 18:17
One more thing does Dixie Stampede, other dinner shows, or Disney's Hoop de Review sell alochol like beer or wine, other? Thanks.

esprit
16-01-2004, 07:29
Dixie Stampede is totally dry. You get coke and coffee with the meal and there are non alcoholic cocktails, coffee or hot chocolate at the bar.

tinkerbell
16-01-2004, 15:12
Disney's Polynesian Luau includes free wine beer, soft drinks and coffee, as does Arabian Nights and the Pirates and Sleuths etc. I do not know abut the rest, but as Julie said, Dolly Partons does not serve any alcohol at all! I still don't understand why they think they can charge more than everyone else!!

MysteriousJourneys
16-01-2004, 19:45
The Arabian Nights is meant to be amazing! I have also heard Church Street Station is a favourite as well. The only dinner show I have been to is Capone's Diner and Show and it was pretty good apart from the food was rock hard (pasta). I agree that it all depends on your taste though ... if you like horses (as maureen said) you would probably like Arabian Nights. xxx

Steve

blott
16-01-2004, 20:00
Unfortunately Steve Church Street Station has been closed for some time although there is some talk of a refurb and reopening at some stage.

MysteriousJourneys
16-01-2004, 20:11
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww [msnoo][msnoo][msnsad]I loved it there, I hope it will re-open by October though, thats a real shame [msncry]

Nostromo
21-01-2004, 00:12
Arabian Nights is fantastic as far as the show goes. The food is also fantastic, fantastically bad that is. I don't know why they don't improve it. The last time we went there, my wife, who never minces any words, told one of the management staff "The (veg) Lasagna looked as though the chef had been sick on it and tasted even worse!". Between spasms of my laughter, I felt that her criticism went right over the poor guy's head.

The Polynesian Luau Dinner Show is also good and the food is better..at least edible. The only other show that we have been is the Sleuths and I did not like it at all. The Brits are much better at organising that sort of thing.

mikewj
21-01-2004, 00:34
We've been planning to do a dinner show for years, and appear to be finally going to the Pirates Adventure in June.

Its had some good reviews and caters for veggies, something that the other dinner shows dont mention on their menus.

tinkerbell
21-01-2004, 15:01
The food was great at Pirates! Just take my advice and don't pay for the upgrade! It's a con! I loved pirates it really was good fun!

Nostromo
21-01-2004, 15:20
I wanted to go to the Pirates this time, but got outvoted in favour of Arabian Nights despite the latter's poor catering. Everyone in our party loves to see performing horses and that was that.

blott
21-01-2004, 16:05
The horses are really magnificent and beautiful though and perhaps make up for the poor food, as long as you're expecting it not to be great?

Nostromo
21-01-2004, 16:31
Yeah, but this time, we're going to eat first and then go to the show.

tinkerbell
21-01-2004, 18:27
I think you have to prepare yourslef for the food to be of a poor standard at these shows, and just take it at face value! Most of them have you eating in such low light that food tht tastes good, really looks rather different!

Bring back Wild Bill's thats what I say! I found this and Pirates really refreshing as they didnt involve animals performing. I'm not really into watching horses doing routines, I think it's mean rather than fun. The horses at Dolly Parons are all out on show before the show starts. they looked thoroughly miserable and they were tethered so that they couldn't even walk around their stable. And as for watching chicken chasing and racing pigs? No thanks!

mikewj
22-01-2004, 19:31
Looks like Pirates is a definite.....just got to convince Sue that Johnny Depp wont be making an appearance !!!

:D:D:D

tinkerbell
22-01-2004, 19:57
Oh, but the blue pirate 'Benjamin' looked really like him! It was great! We saw Pirates of the Caribbean on the plane outbound too so we were properly prepared!

lisad
25-01-2004, 06:15
THANK YOU to whomever suggested Disney the Hoop De Do Review because I mentioned that to my famiyl who was planning the luxury bus ride over from Cocoa Beach and because the destination was a secret they went further and TINKERBELL, guess what? They chose the Spirit of the Aloha at Disney's Polynesian Resort the luau you mentioned since we had mostly all adults they chose the more adult oriented show. They also chose this because I am hard of hearing so it was a show I could see and enjoy without necessarily having to hear it. It was FABULOUS!!! The perfect weather, great food and drinks, oh just the whole night. One of the BEST nights of my life. Thank you all for your suggestions we had such fun we plan to try a different shows over there once per month this year to get a feel for all of them. Oh, did I say thank you? Thank you all.

tinkerbell
25-01-2004, 14:48
Great! Glad you had a good time!

caseyd
25-01-2004, 15:27
In my 5 trips to Orlando, I have never had a desire to go to any of the dinner shows. I'd heard alot of complaints about the food quality, and just thought they sounded somewhat dumb in general, and expensive. I chose instead to go to the parks and other places for entertainment, and at night we always ate dinner at the better places at Epcot or City Walk (as we haev stayed in those resorts). But this time we have a villa and will be less tied to the parks, and after seeing lisad's impressive post on the Spirit of the Aloha, I am very very tempted to try it. What exactly is the show- is it hula dancers or what? What is the theme/content?
Pirates is starting to look interesting also but what is the content there- obviously it is pirates, but what is it- battling or what? I don't want battling.
We have an 11 yr old girl and 13 yr old boy going w/us.

poet123
25-01-2004, 16:31
Where is the disney hoop de doo show on?

bond
26-01-2004, 02:15
Tinkerbell do they really have chicken chasing and racing pigs at Dolly Partons place???
Sounds kind of cruel.
If thats the case I definitely would not support something like that.

tinkerbell
26-01-2004, 16:59
Hi Bond, yes they really do have chicken chasing. They bring children out of the audience to do it too.

They also had emu racing (with people riding on their backs), and pig racing. I found it all a little bizarre I have to say, and as I said before on this thread, I don't like to see miserable looking horses.

KarenScott
29-01-2004, 21:23
We want to go to a show this year, we'll have grandparents and three children with us, 10, 7 and 3. Which would be the best show for us?:):)

tinkerbell
29-01-2004, 22:26
Most of them would be fine as they cater to all ages and interests. I know I keep banging on about it, but Pirates was a great night out for all!

chris
01-02-2004, 22:31
I'm really excited now having read Lisa's post. Its only 2 weeks and then I'm booked to go to Spirit of Aloha. Its just me and Paul for his birthday treat, leaving the kids back at the villa.:D