PDA

View Full Version : Marco/Naples vs Fort Myers vs Clearwater...

SteveE
21-07-2010, 18:05
Hi,

I am sure this is one of the most frequently asked questions on here, but...

We are planning to go to the Gulf for 1 week (then 2 weeks in Orlando, already sorted). We are going for 1 week from 14th August.

Bearing in mind we love the sea, not fussed at all about beaches, but would like "experiences" such as horse riding, going on a flat bottomed boat in the Everglades at least once, maybe rent a boat for a day or two, go for a jet ski safari, and the kids (11 and 15) are interested in "interesting" things such as weird and wonderful facts and utterly bored by things like museums - where would people recommend on the Gulf Coast?

Have been thinking about Naples/Marco Island, or maybe a bit higher like Fort Myers. Feel that Rotunda and Clearwater are too high up as we want to go to the Everglades, and possibly visit Key West one of the days, but happy to take advice.

Or should we even consider the East Coast instead?

Oh, and we would like a villa with a private pool, ideally a games room or pool table or something, and definitely wifi access. Any recommendations?

Look forward to hearing from the Florida experts on here!

Clare R
21-07-2010, 19:05
You can get a trip to Key West from Naples for the day, it is three and a half hours, believe it also goes from Fort Myers but would be a longer trip. Put in the two place names into a search engine.

As to 'going to the Everglades' it depends on what you mean, there is miles and miles of empty space but very few roads. From Naples you can get to Everglades City, go on an Air Boat ride and see alligator farms.

As you will be going in the height of the summer the amount of wildlife will be reduced.

It appears you haven't secured your accommodation yet, I would urge you to use the links at the top of the page to search for a villa as owners are not allowed to reply direct through the Forum.

I am sure you will find what you are looking for but as a Rotonda owner I am disappointed you have chosen not to put the area on the list, it is about a hundered miles south of Clearwater.

SteveE
21-07-2010, 19:28
Hi Clare,

Thanks for responding so quickly!

Rotonda is definitely not off the list, as I am happy to take advice! Nothing have been finalised yet.

Have a couple of options lined up for villas, but again, happy to take advice [msnsmile]

Robert5988
22-07-2010, 00:06
Personally I don't like Fort Myers - much of Fort Myers Beach is 'low rental'.

The Gulf coast is more scenic with calmer sea and generally favoured more than the Atlantic side - and thus more expensive. However the kids might enjoy the waves on the East coast for surfing etc, and North of Fort Lauderdale it is much less crowded.

SteveE
22-07-2010, 00:24
Hi Robert,

Funny you should say that - we have just this evening started looking at the East Coast, particularly around the Fort Lauderdale area, as an option. 3 of us scuba dive, and I understand the diving is much better on the East Coast than it is by the Gulf.

Cheers,
Steve

Robert5988
22-07-2010, 02:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Hi Robert,

Funny you should say that - we have just this evening started looking at the East Coast, particularly around the Fort Lauderdale area, as an option. 3 of us scuba dive, and I understand the diving is much better on the East Coast than it is by the Gulf.

Cheers,
Steve[/quote]

It depends what you want when Diving.

The Keys are good and, as you say, so is the South East.

Lobster season now if that is your 'thing'.

Mo Green
22-07-2010, 16:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SteveE
Hi Robert,

Cheers,
Steve
[/quote]

If you look at this link you will find there are some excellent dives on the west coast from Port Charlotte (just 20 minutes drive from Rotonda) http://www.fantaseascuba.com There are plenty of options if you are PADI qualified - wrecks, reefs, finding huge sharks teeth even catching your own fish or lobster.

Mo

7165red
03-08-2010, 00:32
There are many beautiful condo's along FMB, trust me on that. If you want to stay at the northern part of the island try the Pink Shell Beach Resort or the Diamond Head Resort. Mid and south part of the island you have a large selection of up scale condo's. I understand what the previous poster may have been refering to by "low rent" I have stayed in Naples and the shops are really hig end along 5th Ave, FMB Times Square north end, shops are Tee shirts etc. We like FMB because it is easy for us to pop over to Sanibel and Naples for dinner. We took our day trip to the everglades & Naples zoo. both nice days out. I forgot tomention Lover's Key, FMB, just beautiful. I maybe wrong re: the previous posters impression of FMB, everyone to his own opinion. If you would like to check out hotels in Naples near the gulf the Ritz Carlton is the place to be. You might like to check out The Estero Beach and Tennis Club on thne south end of FMB. I don't agree, but I have heard many americans refer to the Gulf Coast as the "Red Neck Riveria". Good luck hunting!

Lyn
03-08-2010, 01:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by 7165red
There are many beautiful condo's along FMB, trust me on that. If you want to stay at the northern part of the island try the Pink Shell Beach Resort or the Diamond Head Resort. Mid and south part of the island you have a large selection of up scale condo's. I understand what the previous poster may have been refering to by "low rent" I have stayed in Naples and the shops are really hig end along 5th Ave, FMB Times Square north end, shops are Tee shirts etc. We like FMB because it is easy for us to pop over to Sanibel and Naples for dinner. We took our day trip to the everglades & Naples zoo. both nice days out. I forgot tomention Lover's Key, FMB, just beautiful. I maybe wrong re: the previous posters impression of FMB, everyone to his own opinion. If you would like to check out hotels in Naples near the gulf the Ritz Carlton is the place to be. You might like to check out The Estero Beach and Tennis Club on thne south end of FMB. I don't agree, but I have heard many americans refer to the Gulf Coast as the "Red Neck Riveria". Good luck hunting!

[/quote]

I'm with you, we love Fort Myers Beach and stay there most visits, will be staying there for a week in November. I would say that the properties along Estero Island vary from low end to high end, depends on what you are looking for.

7165red
03-08-2010, 04:29
Lyn, I have stayed at several beautiful condo's and many very nice people from the UK. Enjoy your visit, I'll be off to WDW and staying at a lovely villa.

Ruth
04-08-2010, 07:28
We have been staying at Port Charlotte for the last 2 weeks and went to the Everglades last week for a day trip - the journey wasn't bad at all. There is loads to do around here [8D]