PDA

View Full Version : What to take?

jimbo
13-01-2004, 02:45
Moving to gulf coast this year. Have had mixed advice about what to take in the way of furniture etc.... Can anyone out there give us some idea of what is cheaper here and would be worth taking and what we should leave behind. You know the sort of thing beds, bedroom furniture, general house hold items, Or anything else you can think of you just can't get in the states. I also understand you can purchase converters for electrical items, good idea???[msnscared]

Jimbo

Carla
13-01-2004, 03:24
If what you have is worth quite a bit more than the cost of shipping it out, then it is probably worth taking with you, otherwise you could save the shipping costs and buy new in Florida. I seem to remember someone quoting in excess of GB£5000 to ship a container full of household items. You can buy some lovely furniture for that in Florida.

blott
13-01-2004, 04:17
Unless you're very fond of a particular item, then you'll find most furniture and household goods are cheaper in Florida and the price of shipping a whole houseful from the UK prohibitive.

I can't think of anything in the way of household items that you can get in the UK that you can't get in the USA.

Don't forget that, with electrical items, the USA is on different voltage and electrical sockets. to the UK. TVs use an entirely different system and won't work. Electrical items are also particularly price competitive with the UK in the USA so you could probably buy new for the price that shipping them will cost.

jimbo
15-01-2004, 11:43
Come on Guy's,
Was there anything you took out you wish you hadn't

esprit
16-01-2004, 07:25
I shipped personal items, photo albums, ormanents, pictures and some small items of furniture that were of sentimental value. I bought all my big items of furniture and appliances here. I bought a part container for £850. A full container is £5000 but you get a closed container. I got a part container and some of my goods never arrived and have never been found.
Things I wish I had not bothered shipping? Well my sons computer ( it has never worked properly since arrival as it was bashed about and you can buy cheaper here anyway) and a lot of my clothes which I havent worn since I got here ( mostly formal stuff which you just dont wear here and real winter stuff such as leather jackets). Furniture and appliances are cheaper here and British furniture doesnt look right in the houses here so I would say bring nothing with you except things with real sentinental attachment for you. You are starting a new life after all, go the whole hog!

jeffc
16-01-2004, 18:17
weve just moved to orlando and we are shipping a few things and the cost is 3500 its taking approx 8 weeks to get here which is no probs due to our house is not ready till april..

the size of our container is a 20 ft one the main cost is the insurance in case anything goes missing..or gets damaged...

firm called ATLANTIS based in LEEDS but they deal uk wide.. more details if required contact me..

as everybody says you can buy everything over here at a very good price..

best of luck when you get here the systems are strange to get use to...

taken us a week to get kids in schools..

esprit
17-01-2004, 07:33
"best of luck when you get here the systems are strange to get used to..."

You never said a truer word!! Been here six months now and still havent!!