PDA

View Full Version : Distance from Kissimmee to the Florida Keys

dvgleave
29-06-2010, 21:17
I'm visiting Kissimmee in October and, having been there several times, would quite like to explore the area and take in a few beaches. Can anyone tell me approximately how long the journey would be from Kissimme to the Florida Keys and is it a realistic journey to make with a couple of kids in tow!

Or another thought would be to go to Sarasota.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Katys Grandad
29-06-2010, 21:52
What might be described as the "Keys" is around 140 miles long so, obviously, the northern Keys are much nearer to Orlando than Key West although still a very long trip.

The Keys are great but I wouldn't recommend a trip from Orlando unless I was staying at least a couple of nights there (with or without kids in tow). Sarasota or any of the main Gulf Coast resorts are much more realistic for a short trip.

Jill
30-06-2010, 00:46
If travelling with children and only looking to take a day trip to the coast then I would also opt for somewhere like Sarasota or one of the other fabulous beaches on that coast.

erowlands
30-06-2010, 10:19
We did the keys in november last year staying at Key Largo for a couple of nights. We went down on highway 27 took just over 5 hours,we came back along the turnpike from Miami, much easier drive and saved an hour.
We travelled down to Key West on our second day, this took nearly two hours but it was a lovely easy drive which we all enjoyed.
It is a long drive but very different and most enjoyable.

Eric

dvgleave
30-06-2010, 11:06
I think realistically its going to be too far to drive to the Keys. Perhaps next time we will schedule in a week out of our hols to explore the Keys.

My husband is pretty keen to have a look at the beaches on the East Coast - Tampa Bay maybe. Does anyone have any recommendations for good beaches, restaurants, shopping etc on the East Coast? Diane.

Clare R
30-06-2010, 11:17
Ooops - Tampa is on the west coast of Florida.

SteveandJan
30-06-2010, 14:08
We have been to the keys but we did stay there for 6 nights and went to Key West and Ismalorada (middle area) the drive back was about 5 hours but a great trip but definitely not a day trip.

Jill
30-06-2010, 17:14
On the east coast near Kennedy Space Centre is Merritt Island which has been recommended to us by someone who goes there regularly. It is a national wildlife refuge and also has a very nice beach.

On the west coast (Tampa, gulf coast) we like Siesta Key and Venice Beach espcially Sharkey's which is a casual restaurant right on the beach, by the pier.

dvgleave
30-06-2010, 22:36
Oops indeed Clare, Tampa Bay IS on the west coast! I'm a bit geographically challenged and relying on info from hubby who is obviously just as bad as me!! [msnembarrased]

Anyway, thanks for the information to everyone who replied. We've got a few choices to make about where our excursions are to be to. I think that visiting the Keys is out for this trip as it will be too far. I really would like to see Anna Maria Island after reading the recommendations from forum members.

After spending the last couple of visits to Orlando spending some time at the Theme Parks we're looking for a bit of a change this time and trying to explore more of the area.

Diane.

Lyn
01-07-2010, 02:03
We love Blue Springs State Park. The manatees overwinter here and we saw some last October when we were there.

gpullan
01-07-2010, 13:32
2008 saw us drive down to Siesta Key. Parked in the main car park with a very quick walk through the trees and onto the beach. Fantastic place to visit and an 'ok' snack bar just off the beach.

2010 saw us drive to Anna Maria Island. Parked at 'The Cafe on the Beach' which really is on the beach. Loved this place too, beach no different to Siesta Key but facilities much better (mini cabanas, loungers and umbrellas). Cafe on the Beach was great for lunch.

One thing is for certain though, choose any west coast beach for the sand and the sunset, those 2 things make the day.

karenk
03-07-2010, 16:30
We went to Treasure Island beach last year and loved it. Stayed in Sarasota earlier this year for two nights and did a bit of exploration and can thoroughly recommend some of the beaches down there. Have been to Cocoa Beach which we thought was just o.k. but that's only our opinion. We tend to enjoy the gulf rather than the Atlantic, but having said that we've only visited Cocoa on the Atlantic side so perhaps other beaches are just as nice as the gulf, we just haven't visited yet. We've toyed with the idea of the keys but haven't actually made it down there yet. If we do, it will be for a few nights as I think the drive down etc is way out of day trip territory and as Katy's grandad says, its over 140 miles long, so a fair bit to explore. Gary is very right about the sunset, the best beaches to see it from are around the gulf, breathtaking.

brownm
03-07-2010, 17:24
Weve been to Cocoa beach and Melbourne beach on the Atlantic cost which where great! but as Karen and Gary have said you can't beat the Gulf / West cost side like Clear-Water and Treasure Island which are Fantastic! and only just over 1 1/2 hours drive away.

Have a great time,

Mark.