PDA

View Full Version : Availability of prescription drugs

Hayabusa
12-01-2004, 00:46
Can anyone tell me if its possible to buy a prescribed blood pressure drug that I need to take daily, over the counter in FL drug stores ? Do you have to sign up with a doctor in the U.S. to get them, even though I wouldnt go through my medical insurance to get them ? I hope you dont think this is a strange question, but I dont know how it works over there.

Thanks,

/forums/Data/2004111204614_Busaimage.jpg

blott
12-01-2004, 03:01
You can only buy prescription drugs with a prescription from a local doctor at a Pharmacy. You'd need to visit a local doctor to get the prescription. Both the doctor's visit and the drugs will cost you money.

Be aware that all medical treatment/consultations and drugs in the USA are expensive! When you're used to the NHS, you can get quite a shock! I went to see a doctor three years ago and was prescribed painkillers - the bill came to $200 - the painkillers were $66 for 10 - the rest of the bill was for the doctor!

steph_goodrum
12-01-2004, 03:20
We always make sure we take an extra amount of any of the families prescribed drugs, you never know if what is licensed in this country will be available under the same terms. We also make sure that the whole amount isn't packed together and we take all medication in our hand luggage so we know where it is. As far as we are concerned medication and documentation stay with us at all times and then if the cases get lost it doesn't matter, we can find a way round that.

DaveL
12-01-2004, 04:07
Also dosage is quite different.The level of resistance to anti-biotics in the U.S. is higher than the UK. The doctor's will therefore give a much higher strength.

Dave

fiona
12-01-2004, 04:28
Can't you take the drugs with you? I do this as was given a full medical (and a bill of over $200) for a minor eye infection. He discovered I had high blood pressure and insisted in giving me free medication - my own GP was none too happy with this as he said it was borderline and we have different ways of dealing with it here! I now just take fluid retention tablets, but as it has risen recently I am instructed to lose weight or I have to back on the blood pressure tablets.

BTW - eye drops - 2 types were $100 - stronger than what you get on the NHS but consider the difference in price!