PDA

View Full Version : Napkins

chris
11-01-2004, 01:48
Please can someone tell me what a napkin is? I had a guest (American) ask if he needed to bring his own and I didnt know what he meant. I couldnt understand someone bringing serviettes.

bellaepovera
11-01-2004, 02:03
Gosh my mind is a blank at the moment as I cannot think of another way to say this word. Napkins are the things you use to wipe your mouth and hands while eating. they either come in paper or material. Usually when you buy the place mats made out of material they usually come with a napkin.

ctgirlscout
11-01-2004, 02:57
Like Patti said, napkins are used to wipe your mouth at dinner. They are the things that you can never have enough of at McDonald's. Most people just use the disposable paper ones, but in fancy restaurants and such, they would be an accessory to the linen tablecloth. Just curious, what would be the UK word for a napkin?

steph_goodrum
11-01-2004, 03:08
As Chris said it would be a serviette. I can't understand guests being particular enough to take their own on holiday if none were supplied.

Lakul
11-01-2004, 03:11
Isn't it the US term for our flannel:)

Ruth
11-01-2004, 04:39
I thought a flannel was a washcloth:)

bellaepovera
11-01-2004, 11:26
NO we dont use the word flannel for a wash cloth. I suppose you can call it a hand towel also. Those are the small ones used to either wash dishes ( I personaly use a sponge) or the small square ones in the bathrooms.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-01-2004, 12:54
Just to confuse matters, I've always called them napkin's no matter where I am - US or UK [msnsmile]

blott
11-01-2004, 19:42
quote:the small square ones in the bathrooms Those are flannels in the UK (sometimes called face flannels) and are used to wash yourself with and hand towels are called, well... hand towels!

John, it depends whether you were bought up 'posh' or not! Posh = napkins and non-posh = serviettes! [msnwink]

ctgirlscout
11-01-2004, 19:56
quote:Originally posted by blott

quote:the small square ones in the bathrooms

John, it depends whether you were bought up 'posh' or not! Posh = napkins and non-posh = serviettes! [msnwink]

Well, I guess that tells us how John was brought up! ;)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-01-2004, 23:58
LOL Blott - never thought of myself as posh - I'm very down to earth really [msnsmile]

ctgirlscout
12-01-2004, 00:04
I hate to confuse matters, but there is a woman's product that is also sometimes referred to a "napkin". I'm assuming Chris' guest wasn't referring to these!

Ann
12-01-2004, 01:28
teresa i was thinking the same as you
chris are you sure your guest is a male;)

bellaepovera
12-01-2004, 18:04
Well the more modern word at the end now is pads. LOL

firsttimer
02-02-2004, 19:20
Could this be anything to do with the origin of the word nappy ie napkin?
Do they mean diapers?

On the other hand they may be a family who always use cloth napkins at meal times and just want to make sure there are some.

kezza5222
17-01-2006, 23:25
i thought a napkin was the insert of a terry towling nappy, the bit you take out and throw away.

kerry

Cruella DeVilla
18-01-2006, 00:20
[msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]Gosh lets have a poll and see wha the answer is;)

Jill
18-01-2006, 00:36
Oh dear, I have always called them napkins and even have them listed on my inventory as 'napkins'. Not sure if I should now change my inventory.

LiesaAnna
18-01-2006, 00:57
started something with this one then!

Cruella DeVilla
18-01-2006, 01:01
I am guessing it means napkins to wipe ones mouth on but you never know? (There is nowt as queer as folk).[msnscared]

E. Cosgrove
18-01-2006, 01:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout
I hate to confuse matters, but there is a woman's product that is also sometimes referred to a "napkin". I'm assuming Chris' guest wasn't referring to these!
[/quote]
LOL Theresa, that tickled me:D

steph_goodrum
18-01-2006, 03:12
I had American guests who asked for a welcome grocery pack and who was delighted with most of the products but felt that the basic essentials should have been included such as paper towels and napkins, so maybe they are used a lot more over there for every day use.

Jules
18-01-2006, 04:00
We have had several US guests leave part used packs of paper napkins and paper plates in our villa, we even got a box of fancy paper napkins as part of our furniture package! I guess they are used a lot more in the US than in the UK.

steph_goodrum
18-01-2006, 13:22
Good old kitchen towel suffices for everday use in our house.

Susan J
18-01-2006, 17:58
I have noticed on some " wife Swap" type programmes that a lot of women serve 'dinner' up on paper plates, and throw them away afterwards. Is this common practice, as, when walking around Costco in Fl I have seen a few trollies stacked with napkins and paper plates?
I would take it to mean disposable napkins for the Kitchen table, I usually leave some out for folk.

emm
18-01-2006, 18:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
&lt;blockquote id="quote"&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote"&gt;quote:&lt;hr height="1" noshade id="quote"&gt;the small square ones in the bathrooms[/quote] Those are flannels in the UK (sometimes called face flannels) and are used to wash yourself with and hand towels are called, well... hand towels!

<span style="color:red">John, it depends whether you were bought up 'posh' or not! Posh = napkins and non-posh = serviettes</span id="red">! [msnwink]
[/quote]

I'm with John on this one - I've always called it a napkin wherever I am!! [msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
18-01-2006, 18:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
I have noticed on some " wife Swap" type programmes that a lot of women serve 'dinner' up on paper plates, and throw them away afterwards. Is this common practice, as, when walking around Costco in Fl I have seen a few trollies stacked with napkins and paper plates?
I would take it to mean disposable napkins for the Kitchen table, I usually leave some out for folk.
[/quote]

Only if they are really lazy surely! More likely for a party or BBQ you would hope[msneek]

sparkymarky
10-09-2006, 02:16
OK so you all know

A napkin is used in a restaurant to place on your lap and to wipe your mouth. They are usually made of cloth and are washed not disposed of.

A serviette is the paper type you get in macdonalds and alot of other places.
I think that pretty much sums it up lol

flyrr100
13-08-2007, 17:11
A Napkin.......... used to wipe one's mouth during and after eating. Can be paper or cloth. I've never known anyone bringing their own napkins anywhere?
A Kleenex......... come in boxes and are primarily used for wiping one's nose.
A Washcloth...... used to wash one's face.
Sanitary Towel... pretty self explanable
Bathroon Tissue... found in bathrooms on little rollers. Used for.... well, you know!
Bathroom, Restroom, Ladies Room, Mens Room.....toilet
Dishcloth.... used in the kitchen, kitchen towel.
Towels come in three sizes... hand towels, bath towels, and beach towels.

Two countries seperated by a common language!

bargainqueen
17-08-2007, 21:36
I'm fascinated by these explanations, so what do they call Tea Towels in America?

I went shopping once with our American friends and she took me to the Mall at Milenia, as I was in a large store I thought I would look for a key case. I couldn't make her understand what I was looking for until we realised that in America they only use one key whereas here we have keys for all our external doors.

Our friend only has two keys on a key chain, one for the house the other for the car.

Now I realise why they have so many key chains around for sale.

bellaepovera
21-08-2007, 20:53
Tea towels here are called Kitchen Towels.

Tessa Childs
03-11-2009, 21:40
Now to my Husband a kitchen towel is the hand towel in the kitchen, which is never there when he wants it