PDA

View Full Version : Oil Slick in the Gulf

Father
03-05-2010, 15:29
(Sorry if this is already being discussed on another thread. I had a look but I couldn't see anything on here about it.)

Katys Grandad
03-05-2010, 16:01
Probably too early to be sure just what the impact will be but the authorities of Florida's Gulf Coast communities are already making contingency plans to try to prevent the oil polluting the coastline. I think that the Alabama and Louisiana coastline are currently under the more immediate threat.

At the moment, the biggest concern relates to the Gulf Coast fishing industry and all those people and businesses like restaurants who rely on it. I saw a prediction yesterday that fish prices would rocket in the next couple of weeks because the catches would be very much reduced or even non-existent. The usual panic buying seems to have started already.

kitch50
03-05-2010, 20:08
On the news it said that Obama has insisted that BP foot the bill for the entire clean up and repairs to underwater pipes etc... will that mean that petrol prices will go up even further to cover the costs ??

Albert the Frog
03-05-2010, 21:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitch50
On the news it said that Obama has insisted that BP foot the bill for the entire clean up and repairs to underwater pipes etc... will that mean that petrol prices will go up even further to cover the costs ??
[/quote]
I think that if the day of the week has a Y in it that is enough reason for them to put up petrol prices at the moment!

kitch50
03-05-2010, 22:58
too true, to think that there was a strike when the pumps hit £1 a litre a few years ago, that seems really quite cheap now £1.21 at the BP near us.

christhear
04-05-2010, 00:03
The thing is its all taxes, jsut returned form Egypt a litre of water is more expensive than a litre of Petrol. Its about 20p a litre there.

Andrena
04-05-2010, 00:58
FAther,

Tongue in cheek, but last time I was in Florida, Orlando was not on the coast!! So doubt the oil slick will reach it.

Sorry for those who are on the Gulf Coast though.

Andrena

Father
04-05-2010, 14:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Andrena
FAther,

Tongue in cheek, but last time I was in Florida, Orlando was not on the coast!! So doubt the oil slick will reach it.

Sorry for those who are on the Gulf Coast though.

Andrena
[/quote]

You mean they've moved it?:D

Nah, I was reading that the Governor of Florida had declared a state of emergency and wondered if that had any effect on people visiting the Orlando area.

Andrena
05-05-2010, 03:04
I think that the state of emergency has only been declared in either 5 or 7 counties on the Gulf Coast.

Andrena

steph_goodrum
05-05-2010, 03:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitch50
too true, to think that there was a strike when the pumps hit £1 a litre a few years ago, that seems really quite cheap now £1.21 at the BP near us.
[/quote]

I know I'm showing my age but I can remember that they were saying they couldn't let petrol go over the physchological £1 a GALLON.:)

Lyn
05-05-2010, 14:51
Now I am really showing my age when I say that when I first started driving I got 3 Gallons of petrol for £1, but then I only earned £5 per week.

Father
05-05-2010, 15:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
...I got 3 Gallons of petrol for £1, but then I only earned £5 per week.
[/quote]

About 1972 I would think.

£5 a week :D

steph_goodrum
05-05-2010, 16:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
...I got 3 Gallons of petrol for £1, but then I only earned £5 per week.
[/quote]

About 1972 I would think.

£5 a week :D
[/quote]

Probably a bit earlier than that I would guess. My first "proper" paid job in summer of 1976 was with Butlins and got £25 a week + free accommodation and food.

Katys Grandad
05-05-2010, 17:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
...I got 3 Gallons of petrol for £1, but then I only earned £5 per week.[/quote]About 1972 I would think.

£5 a week :D[/quote]Even for 1972, £5 a week seems low if it was for full time work although the petrol price looks about right.

I'd have thought it would be a good few years earlier because as a teenager in the late 1960's I was earning around £9 a week and certainly didn't consider myself well paid at that level.

Lyn
07-05-2010, 00:28
I left school in 1965 and passed my driving test and got my 1st car in 1967

Andrena
07-05-2010, 01:37
When we bought our first car petrol was 5 shillings a gallon!! When we bought our home in Florida petrol was 95cents a gallon, but I still think it is cheap in Florida even today. I filled my tank in Edinburgh yesterday and it cost me £68.10, we soon won't be able to afford to go anywhere - thank goodness for our OAP bus passes and our free travel on the train as my husband worked for BR or we might have to stay at home. We save a fortune when we are in Florida things are so much cheaper. I haven't bought clothes or shoes in the UK for years although the groceries have gone up a bit recently, especially steak.

Andrena

randyj
19-05-2010, 22:16
Hi Everyone,

I own 2 Gas Stations here in Prince Edward Island Canada and Gas now i my 2 stores is $1.039 a Litre or $4.15 a gallon. When I started in the business back in 1992 gas was .49c a litre $1.96 a gallon will never see that in my life time.